DT 770 vs Shure SRH840?

Froody129
Go to solution Solved by Froody129,

Went ahead and got the DT770 80ohm version. Will wait until I have them to decide if I need an amp

Trying to decide on headphones. I'll be buying off Amazon UK, and the Shures on sale costs basically the same. 

Use case: music and gaming at home, with rare car trips and flights. 

Music is mostly acoustic/ vocal music, but I'd really something that does well in everything.  

Build quality is important to me - this will be my only set and I want them to last. 

*No amp* 

Any opinions will be valued, if you have any other options I'd also welcome them. I'd prefer closed back but if there are open backs with very much better sound I'd go for them 

That's an F in the profile pic

For gaming and music the dt 770 wins for me much wider soundstage along with better imaging and crisp high ans great subbass.. but on build its a tradeoff. The dt 770 are more solid and made out of some of the most solid plastics it's built like a tank with one weakness the cable it's attached. The shures arent built as well but have a detachable cable. If you want anice travel can with comparable performance check out the 1 more triple driver over ear headphones.its like anice middle ground built well and sounds hreat. Not as good as the 770 In gaming but still plenty great

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

For gaming and music the dt 770 wins for me much wider soundstage along with better imaging and crisp high ans great subbass.. but on build its a tradeoff. The dt 770 are more solid and made out of some of the most solid plastics it's built like a tank with one weakness the cable it's attached. The shures arent built as well but have a detachable cable. If you want anice travel can with comparable performance check out the 1 more triple driver over ear headphones.its like anice middle ground built well and sounds hreat. Not as good as the 770 In gaming but still plenty great

I've read the cable can be replaced if you really want to. I'm quite attracted to being able to take apart and replace everything. 

Are the Shures flimsy then? Just from pictures they look a bit cheap and plasticky but not sure. I'll check out the 1more, thanks. 

Just now, Froody129 said:

I've read the cable can be replaced if you really want to. I'm quite attracted to being able to take apart and replace everything. 

Are the Shures flimsy then? Just from pictures they look a bit cheap and plasticky but not sure. I'll check out the 1more, thanks. 

From what I can tell the shures aren't. Built that well. But if you are willing to mod the dt770 to have a replable cable you got yourself an awesome portable can just make sure it get the 32 ohm or the 80 ohm 

30 minutes ago, rice guru said:

From what I can tell the shures aren't. Built that well. But if you are willing to mod the dt770 to have a replable cable you got yourself an awesome portable can just make sure it get the 32 ohm or the 80 ohm 

Agter looking around more at openback headphones too I've seen the AKG K702 recommended too, do you have any experience with those? 

I see you've got DT990s, do they isolate sound at all or are they very open? 

Sorry about all the questions, it's just that returns will be very difficult/impossible so I want to make the right choice the first time, if that's even possible ? 

Went ahead and got the DT770 80ohm version. Will wait until I have them to decide if I need an amp