Ryzen 5 3600 one core 30+ degrees hotter

Hello,

I just got the Ryzen 5 3600. Performance is great, but it seems to be loading up only one core in games (core number #2) bringing the temps on that core up to 90 degrees Celsius. Now, I could understand this if it were the only core being loaded up, but using Cinebench to test it properly brings all cores up to 100% load and brings the temp up on core #2 to 90 degrees again. All other cores at 100% load sit around 50 degrees max, while this one is hitting over the 90 mark easy.

I am using HWMonitor to check temps. I have also removed the cooler, replaced the thermal paste and it behaves exactly the same. Iv'e heard that a bad sensor could be responsible for this.

I called the computer shop and they said that I might need an aftermarket cooler. I could understand that if every core was sitting at over 90 degrees but under an even load it is just one core sitting that high.

I'm a little bit disappointed as I have never had this trouble with any Intel products before. I kind of regret getting the Ryzen :'(.

Thanks for any help or advise anyone can offer.

32 minutes ago, BigJohnson said:

Ryzen 5 3600 Temps.png

Ouch this is a first for me.  94c is gonna kill your CPU.  Try with another temp app like core temp and do tell us if you have this same issue.  Also the guy at the shop was wrong you don't need a new cooler.  I think it can be a combination of CPU and motherboard sensor. 

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

35 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Ouch this is a first for me.  94c is gonna kill your CPU.  Try with another temp app like core temp and do tell us if you have this same issue.  Also the guy at the shop was wrong you don't need a new cooler.  I think it can be a combination of CPU and motherboard sensor. 

Thanks for your reply,

I ran the program while doing a couple of tests, it seems it only pulls an average, it doesn't display individual core temps. No worries though, I know which core was the issue..

I stopped the tests there because the temp looked like it would have kept rising. Still over 90 degrees. I removed the back plate and put some rubber washes to space the cooler out as it was bottoming out on the screw. This got me to bring it a little bit closer but the cooler still bottomed out and there was no change at all to temp.

Thanks again.

image.png.99eb34e1b493fc3b74e3b0c19a8b3f5c.png

I just updated the Bios in a last ditch effort to fix the issue, but it made no difference at all. 

I'm pretty sure the CPU is buggered out of the box. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to get a replacement. See how we go.

Thanks.

I got the same issue.... 

Same core too. 

Might be our motherboard? 

Im using a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M. 

If you are trusting HWMonitor telling you that you have temps for each core then you shouldn't.  Ryzen doesn't show individual core temps like Intel does.  If you want accurate readings then use Ryzen Master.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

On 7/18/2019 at 8:46 PM, Spartanzi said:

I got the same issue.... 

Same core too. 

Might be our motherboard? 

Im using a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M. 

I spoke with a tech today and they said that the infinity fabric has its own temp sensor. She said that it seems to be picking up the temp of both the core and infinity fabric and combining them in most programs. Its a genuine temp, but half it. 

I have a Gigabyte x570 gaming x mobo, I think most people will experience this issue with these new chips. I'm keen to try the Ryzen Master program.

HWMonitor has never been reliable with Ryzen.  You should switch to HWiNFO or Ryzen Master.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

12 minutes ago, nick name said:

HWMonitor has never been reliable   

Ftfy

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I just tried both HWinfo and Ryzen Master...... They both display the high temps of 95 degrees. So its seems it might combining two temps, one core and the infinity fabric.

Just changed the cooler to a 212 Evo Black Ed. 

Now my temps seems to be ok. 

The stock cooler is just too weak for this processor. 

I just cracked the code. 
First of all, enter bios and change the Dynamic Vcore (DVID) to an offset of - .15.

After that go to your power plan settings and click advanced options on the ryzen balanced plan. 

Then set the maximum processor state to 99%.

By this settings i now have a temp of 63c when gaming. 

The processor still boost the freq to 4.2, and there aint any noticable changes in cinebench. 

Try this out! 

Cheers

• 10 months later...

I'm only replying to this post so late because I came across it in a Google search... The problem is not that one core is hotter than the rest...I thought the same of my ryzen 5 3600x... Because I used HWMonitor in the past my older Intel would show core temps all separately...but this isn't the case with ryzen... I too thought I had a single faulty core but it was actually just that I read it wrong...the cpu temp is given as a package. Not separate core values... I figured this out by placing hwmonitor window next to hwinfo window and I found those tmpin numbers were for specific sensors not my cores... If others come across this post searching the same problem try using the two programs and you'll quickly see what the values mean.  My chip still runs hotter than I'd like, but that's how they all seem to be especially on the gigabyte boards.  Hope this helps.

20200607_114258.jpg