Laptop for College

The title says it all. I am currently eyeing an Asus Vivobook 14 (X412FA-EK268T) - approx. $700(US)

Specs:

CPU - i5 8265U,

RAM - 8GB DDR4 (Expandable)

Storage - 512GB PCIe SSD 

Display - 1080p IPS (No Touchscreen - I can live with that)

IO - Reasonable

Backlit Keyboard

I am going to install Manjaro XFCE and I will be coding almost all time. (If I need to do something computationally expensive I can use my college's labs). I don't game and I don't watch movies. What do you say? Can I find something better at this price range?

11 hours ago, 41keems said:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch-space-gray-2.3ghz-8-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.8ghz-512gb#

I would recommend this machine. It is very powerful, has a great display and design, and actually has a decent operating system. This will handle your more intensive tasks instead of having to go to the lab.

Yeah but one of those costs around 3000$ not 700$. And it's a mac, there's always something better for a lower or similar price, like any razer blade basically for example

9 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Yeah but one of those costs around 3000$ not 700$. And it's a mac, there's always something better for a lower or similar price, like any razer blade basically for example

I mean if you don't mind using a Windows machine you're right about it being a much better deal.

Mediocre model

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 7/14/2019 at 7:25 PM, 41keems said:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/15-inch-space-gray-2.3ghz-8-core-processor-with-turbo-boost-up-to-4.8ghz-512gb#

I would recommend this machine. It is very powerful, has a great display and design, and actually has a decent operating system. This will handle your more intensive tasks instead of having to go to the lab.

Very expensive and an unreliable keyboard. Not ideal if you want something for college.

15 hours ago, NeuesTestament said:

Very expensive and an unreliable keyboard. Not ideal if you want something for college.

It's not as bad as it used to be. Also it's expensive for reasons, its up to you whether its worth it or not. My friend has one and loves it. He doesn't have too many keyboard problems.

3 hours ago, 41keems said:

It's not as bad as it used to be. Also it's expensive for reasons, its up to you whether its worth it or not. My friend has one and loves it. He doesn't have too many keyboard problems.

Are you actually serious? We are talking about a 3k $ device here and your defense is like "it doesn't have too many problems". Sorry, but for a "pro" device at that price point that is just not acceptable.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:22 AM, NeuesTestament said:

Are you actually serious? We are talking about a 3k $ device here and your defense is like "it doesn't have too many problems". Sorry, but for a "pro" device at that price point that is just not acceptable.

Yea it messes up like once or twice a month for him. It’s much more expensive because with a Mac you’re paying for the operating system, design, display, and overall experience.