About the video editing face-off - Mac vs PC

caincha

I know it will trigger me to see a biased video about this - and I know apart from Anthony every 'tech' on LMG loves to be biased - so here are a few suggestions:

-Mac vs PC - Adobe Premiere on both:

To be a fair test it has to be comprehensive so from ingesting the files to editing to rendering all the way to exporting the final file. Fastest wins.

Guess uploading could be an option too but then there's strength of wifi signal, cable length if using ethernet, bandwidth available when uploading and so on… too many variables…

-Windows PC vs Windows Bootcamp on the Mac - also Premiere on both:

Again comprehensive like above.

The reason for this is to test the machines for the hardware alone and to my experience (ok, from ages ago when Win7 was still a thing) Windows can run much smoother on a Mac than on a PC.

-Adobe Premiere vs Final Cut Pro:

This… I don't know I think it's moot but it was mentioned on The WAN Show so I guess it will be done as well…?

I don't see the point first because it ain't available on both OSs, second because it can be a personal choice (some might like Premiere, others might prefer Final Cut) plus one might have a feature the other doesn't and that will determine which software the person will use.

Anyway productivity points (other than which is faster):

OS loses points if it hangs

OS loses points if it crashes

OS loses points if it stops for unsolicited updates

OS loses points if it doesn't have same options as the other (say Mac Premiere can't work with macros like Windows version - but in this case it must be made certain it ain't user error!!)

And I'm assuming there will be similar specs on both machines…?

Not sure. Regardless it will definitely be mentioned somewhere in some video - at least on The WAN Show.

And it would be nice to have it well done instead of just pitting someone on a Mac against Taran on a PC…

45 minutes ago, caincha said:

And it would be nice to have it well done instead of just pitting someone on a Mac against Taran on a PC…

But it might be ❤️??iJustine??❤️ vs Taran!

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

She's… Pretty much the opposite of LMG… lol

Where they're huge biased haters she's a huge biased fanboy(girl) that does the same disservice but the other way around… 

1 minute ago, caincha said:

She's… Pretty much the opposite of LMG… lol

Where they're huge biased haters she's a huge biased fanboy(girl) that does the same disservice but the other way around… 

Yes, ❤️??iJustine??❤️  is a huge fangirl, and there's nothing wrong with that. She's very upfront about her fangirlism. The world is a dark place and needs people who just like things.

Anyway, on the topic.. I question the value of a bootcamp test...Isn't Bootcamp pretty much dead these days? I've always felt it was more of a "hey, if you NEED windows, you can do it here" measure than an actual good idea over just having a dedicated PC or VM's (which is what I've always done before I had a dedicated pc).

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

8 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Anyway, on the topic.. I question the value of a bootcamp test...Isn't Bootcamp pretty much dead these days? I've always felt it was more of a "hey, if you NEED windows, you can do it here" measure than an actual good idea over just having a dedicated PC or VM's (which is what I've always done before I had a dedicated pc).

Not sure to be honest and I did mentioned my experience was when Win7 was a thing…

Back then Windows would run smoother on a Mac than on a PC and I think - never done any testing, just feeling - it was because a Mac being a 'closed' machine it's easier to match drivers than a home built PC. 

I actually had this discussion with some friends back in the day that the reason Windows weren't as stable as OSX was because it 'has' to work with a infinite combination of hardware whereas a Mac has X number of machine specs so it's easier to get X number of Windows drivers carefully selected and ready to install in a neat package - Bootcamp…

About iJustine… yeah I guess it's fair as she is openly a fangirl whilst the guys here pretend to be unbiased…