Building a computer to control other computer?

Go to solution Solved by Votivee,

For simplicity I'd just use team viewer or Remote Desktop (If you have windows 10 pro). You only need a cheap laptop/computer to run these.

Hi, so i was planning on building a new pc, i already have a great one in my bedroom witch is the one i use to game and to do cad work.

But my 3d printers are in my basement and im always going in circles if i need to change something in the model.

So my idea was to build a new pc and put in my basement so when im working on something on my pc and then go down and print it,  instead of going back up to my bedroom to change stuff i could do that in the basement instead.

I have an old pc that only has the basic components and for 3d modeling i will need a gpu so my idea was instead of spending money on a gpu is there a way to make this old pc be a remote access to the one i already have.

I know there are ways to remote controll a pc but the idea is to have a pc that is just a remote control of the other and i dont know if there are better ways to do that than just using team viewer or whatever.

For simplicity I'd just use team viewer or Remote Desktop (If you have windows 10 pro). You only need a cheap laptop/computer to run these.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

14 minutes ago, Votivee said:

They can run it on their phone if they want to

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

1 minute ago, YedZed said:

They can run it on their phone if they want to

Yep, I would have mentioned this but since OP is doing CAD work I figured trying to do that using touchscreen on a phone wouldn't work all too well xD

~Air Cooling Advocate~

If you use Chrome, check out Chrome Remote Desktop. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

41 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Yep, I would have mentioned this but since OP is doing CAD work I figured trying to do that using touchscreen on a phone wouldn't work all too well xD

Oh, I was assuming he could just transfer the file every time. If OP has good internet, maybe that would be fine. Or work off a shared drive? IDK how large these CAD files are meant to be.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

4 hours ago, Votivee said:

Well seems that is the way to go thanks for the help.

Maybe not what you want, but have you tried octoprint?
if the only purpose of this computer would be to send the prints, you can just work from your main pc and send the gcode the the 3D printer. Again, not sure if that's the only thing you want to do.