Could type C power delivery affect performance?

Hey all! 

If you want the TL;DR version, the title more or less all I wanted to know. 

I'm currently back in Japan, 6000 miles away from my Fury, and had quite a lot of free time so decided to install some lighter games onto my laptop. The games I installed were: CS, R6S and Apex. As for the laptop I have, it is a HP envy 13t (8250U+10W MX150). Sounds like a good enough set up for some light gaming eh? Nope, these were the results: 

Apex: Lowest settings 1080p, <15fps

WoWs: Lowest settings 1080p, 20fps

CSGO: Lowest 1080p, 45fps

R6S: Lowest 1080p, 40fps

Note: WoWs was already installed, just had a 2GB update to download. 

That is iGPU territory and being confused, started troubleshooting a little (@Origami Cactus helped). Did everything normal like forcing MX150 on all four games, checked temps and thermal throttling. Nothing. With <70C under a gaming load, thermal throttling was ruled out. Next step, DUU and reinstall both GPU drivers. Again, still the shoddy iGPU level performance. Maybe the MX150 just performs awfully? Then, I suddenly remembered that I've not checked for power throttling. 

Opened up CPU-z, clicked stress CPU in the benchmark tab. Starts at 1900pts~, CPU temps jumps up to 80C from 40C (fan has been off for this period), the fan starts ramping up and the points+voltage+clock speed starts dropping. The faster the fan spins, the more it drops. Fan is now maxed out, temperature has stablilised at 55C with the CPU running at 2.0GHz@0.8V (from 3.4GHz@1.1V) and as you can guess, CPU-z is now showing 1100~ pts. Clearly a power-limitation. With this in mind, I decided to start stressing the MX150 simultaneously andddddd...the 8250U drops even more, all the way down to 1.7GHz, a lethargic 100MHz more than base. 

This is when I remembered that I have played a single WoWs match on my laptop before today and it was a buttery smooth 60fps at medium 1080p(!). The only difference between today and last time was I was using the barrel plug AC adapter instead of a type C PD adapter. Both PSUs are rated for 65W (OEM adapter is 19.5V3.33A whilst type C is 20V3.25A).

Considering there are quite a few topics online regarding how if you don't use the original or equivalent PSU (doesn't matter if it is rated to deliver a higher current), your laptop's CPU will throttle, could it be possible that this is what's happening here? If it is the case, *insert my extremely long rant about type C but is even longer now*. 

Edit: Just to say, I have tested the output of the type C adapter with my type C meter and it was supplying 20V3.15A~, which is close enough to what it has been rated. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Very interesting, that could be the case. I have heard of laptops dropping performance when they are using type c instead of the proprietery power plug.

But it shouldn't be the case, because type-C must carry atleast 60w ? (max 100w) 

And your laptop should use less power than that. But then again it has happened on some laptops, so idk what is going on. Maybe @GeneXiS_X can help?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Very interesting, that could be the case. I have heard of laptops dropping performance when they are using type c instead of the proprietery power plug.

But it shouldn't be the case, because type-C must carry atleast 60w ? (max 100w) 

And your laptop should use less power than that. But then again it has happened on some laptops, so idk what is going on. Maybe @GeneXiS_X can help?

I mean are we talking about gen 1, 2 or 3 PD? There are difference between them. Anyway, this graph more or less sums it all up. 

USB-Power-Rules.png

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

• 2 weeks later...

This is very common in 13 inch Ultrabooks with dGPU - CPU/GPU/both will throttle when loaded. Not much you can do due to lower thermal limits (BIOS/firmware)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128