Help me build my pc! budget $3000

Sown
Go to solution Solved by trevb0t,
2 hours ago, Sown said:

Solid! In your budget, I see no reason not to grab a 3700X though! The difference will be great over a 3600.

5 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

Change the PSU from the g3 to the g2. The g3 has some issues. Other than that this is definitely a solid gaming build. As for the rendering, it's more about how often you render. If it's frequent I'd step up to the 9700K or 9900K or again, wait for new Ryzen. If it's infrequent, then yeah, you can probably get away with the 9600K.

okay thanks for everything dude! been awesome learning experience for me :)

4 minutes ago, Sown said:

okay thanks for everything dude! been awesome learning experience for me :)

You are in most cases just best of waiting the 7 days and getting either a Ryzen 3900x or one of the lower end 3rd gen Zen 2 chips. 

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

You are in most cases just best of waiting the 7 days and getting either a Ryzen 3900x or one of the lower end 3rd gen Zen 2 chips. 

will do, there is certainly no rush :)

12 hours ago, Slottr said:

Capture.JPG.315c1a836fd8ddd84c617a84a9b604c3.JPG

We need to celebrate lol

I could not help coming here and I like this comment (I even did the Hi5 ?). I will save this image to use it later hahaha

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Wait. Read the Zen 2 reviews and benchmarks. Wait a bit longer in case Intel responds aggressively. Then make your decision.

Anyone claiming the i9-9900K will be eclipsed by a similarly priced Zen 2 cpu is shoveling it. There is no publicly available verifiable data to suggest that is the case. We just don't know.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

This is the current build i've picked up now. I replaced the i5 9600k with a Ryzen 7 2700X. They come with a stock fan so i might remove the dark rock in the future, costing me less. The motherboard is a massive price improvement, the b450 Tomahawk supports ryzen gen 2's and pretty much everything i that would be running within it.

Do you guys think i should replace the dark rock with a case fan and just use AMD's stock CPU cooler? or is it better to invest in a cooler to help with speeds, since i hear Ryzen use an automatic overclocking feature dependent upon temperature. 

2 hours ago, Sown said:

This is the current build i've picked up now. I replaced the i5 9600k with a Ryzen 7 2700X.

Oh geez, why? lol. The 2700X does not perform nearly as well in gaming. It's fine for productivity, though. At least with the Zen2 it's looking like they'll at least come close to Intel CPUs. That board, if you did go to Zen2 later, won't have PCIe-4.0, which is one of the main reasons to go for Zen2 in the first place. As for the stock cooler, it is sufficient, but if you'll do any heavy overclocking, you'll still want the Dark Rock Pro 4.

3 hours ago, Sown said:

the b450 Tomahawk supports ryzen gen 2's and pretty much everything i that would be running within it.

Including Zen 2 GPU (actually 3rd gen) of core count you might want in the future? That board will be too little for say, an overclocked 12 core.

53 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

which is one of the main reasons to go for Zen2 in the first place

Not really, not as important as compute performance anyway

Besides, Intel doesnt have PCIe 4 either. Even if that's not a problem you cant run next gen CPUs in the current board egardless

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

16 hours ago, jerubedo said:

The CPU cooler and tower are not compatible. The 9600K is a great gaming chip, but it's not very good at productivity workloads like your video rendering and sound production. 

Yeah the J24 wont fit a Dual Tower. 

OP I'd look at the CM H500 for great airflow on an RGB case. (I think it looks dope with the 2x 200mm fans on the front, too. Like an RGB air cannon.)

You could also use the CM H620P cooler. It's a touch louder than the Dark Rock Pro 4, but cools nicely. It's very well priced in AU, and will look dope in the case. ?

8 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Oh geez, why? lol. The 2700X does not perform nearly as well in gaming. It's fine for productivity, though. At least with the Zen2 it's looking like they'll at least come close to Intel CPUs. That board, if you did go to Zen2 later, won't have PCIe-4.0, which is one of the main reasons to go for Zen2 in the first place. As for the stock cooler, it is sufficient, but if you'll do any heavy overclocking, you'll still want the Dark Rock Pro 4.

hey thanks for the advice. could you explain what zen 2 is for me? im not quite sure what it is. And also what is pcie 4.0. I done some digging and found that ryzen 3600 looks like it will beat alot of intels high end CPUs so i probably want to stay in tuned for that. Also, what mother board would you reccomend for the up in comming ryzen cpus.

2 hours ago, Sown said:

Solid! In your budget, I see no reason not to grab a 3700X though! The difference will be great over a 3600.

alright so here's the build now. Im 90% sure it finished. I could swap the motherboard with a 450 tomahawk but i kind of like the aesthetics, durability and added wifi connectors of the pro carbon. It should 100% be overclockable. tell me what you think :D also, apparently gpu's havent headed in the 4.0 pcie direction, and if i doubled down to get a 570 motherboard it would cost me a hefty amount, so i feel that this is definitely good for now.

1 minute ago, Sown said:

why not get a 3600x? look at these graphs http://hwbench.com/cpus/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-vs-amd-ryzen-7-3700x

Thus far we can't trust any performance benches we see, since they haven't been released yet.

If you wanna ignore the extra core/thread value, the 3600X would be fine.

14 minutes ago, Sown said:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/J7F48d/cooler-master-mwe-gold-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpy-6501-afaag-us

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na

I'd look at these two. You're overspending for approximately the same or less quality.

2 hours ago, Sown said:

apparently gpu's havent headed in the 4.0 pcie direction

Now there are motherboards that support PCIe 4.0 I expect we will see gpu implementing PCIe 4.0. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:40 AM, brob said:

Now there are motherboards that support PCIe 4.0 I expect we will see gpu implementing PCIe 4.0. 

Hopefully soon! It's been a couple of years already and we are starting to see how manufacturers are moving to this standard, like always it will take a while for everyone to adjust and start developing under new standards...

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Yup! I like this config as well... 

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:02 AM, Sown said:

hey thanks for the advice. could you explain what zen 2 is for me? im not quite sure what it is. And also what is pcie 4.0. I done some digging and found that ryzen 3600 looks like it will beat alot of intels high end CPUs so i probably want to stay in tuned for that. Also, what mother board would you reccomend for the up in comming ryzen cpus.

Zen2 IS the Ryzen 3000 series, so that 3600 is indeed Zen2. PCI-e 4.0 allows for much faster GPUs and SSDs.

15 hours ago, BobbyPdue said:

That board is awful though. If he wanted to go with a 9900K later on he would be screwed. Even a Gigabyte Z390 UD for an extra $20 would be a better option.

Why the two SSD's ? Better just going with a larger single one. I mean you can get a 2TB Crucial MX500 for $299. So $26 for an extra 500GB overall is a much better way to do it.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/nF8j4D/crucial-mx500-2tb-25-solid-state-drive-ct2000mx500ssd1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, lee32uk said:

That board is awful though

Based on?  How much is a 9900K in Australia?  It wouldn't make any sense to buy a 8700k and then upgrade to a 9900k it would be a huge waste of money. 

On 7/4/2019 at 11:53 AM, lee32uk said:

Why the two SSD's ?

One for a boot drive and another for a data drive.  

17 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

Based on?  How much is a 9900K in Australia?  It wouldn't make any sense to buy a 8700k and then upgrade to a 9900k it would be a huge waste of money. 

One for a boot drive and another for a data drive.  

Based on the fact that the VRM sucks on that board. 

The ASRock Z390 Pro4 has the same VRM. 

Why would it be a waste to upgrade to a 9900K ? An 8c/16t cpu is better than a 6c/12t cpu is it not ? Prices will come down eventually and if he needs a bit of extra cpu horsepower then the 9900K would provide that.

You can partition an SSD. No need for separate drives.

On 7/12/2019 at 11:58 AM, lee32uk said:

Based on the fact that the VRM sucks on that board. 

The ASRock Z390 Pro4 has the same VRM. 

Why would it be a waste to upgrade to a 9900K ? An 8c/16t cpu is better than a 6c/12t cpu is it not ? Prices will come down eventually and if he needs a bit of extra cpu horsepower then the 9900K would provide that.

You can partition an SSD. No need for separate drives.

Do VRM’s matter if you aren’t going to overclock?  Which motherboard fits best in a computer where there is a balance between cost in Australia, performance, and features?  

It would be a waste to buy an 8700k then buy a 9900k later on.  Either buy the 9900k first or not at all.  Otherwise it’s a waste of money.  

Check prices on previous generation intel CPU’s then consider how much a 9900k will cost in three or four generations probably around the same as it does today.  Check prices on the 7700k for example.  

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

MSRP for the 7700k was $339-350 and amazon.com has them for sale for $350 today

The point of having separate drives is so the OS can operate on a drive independently of the data drive.  Also If a drive fails you’ll at least have your data or your OS instead of losing both.  

27 minutes ago, BobbyPdue said:

Do VRM’s matter if you aren’t going to overclock?  Which motherboard fits best in a computer where there is a balance between cost in Australia, performance, and features?  

It would be a waste to buy an 8700k then buy a 9900k later on.  Either buy the 9900k first or not at all.  Otherwise it’s a waste of money.  

Check prices on previous generation intel CPU’s then consider how much a 9900k will cost in three or four generations probably around the same as it does today.  Check prices on the 7700k for example.  

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97129/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-50-ghz.html

MSRP for the 7700k was $339-350 and amazon.com has them for sale for $350 today

The point of having separate drives is so the OS can operate on a drive independently of the data drive.  Also If a drive fails you’ll at least have your data or your OS instead of losing both.  

Yes VRM's matter otherwise everybody would be able to run a 9900K on a crap board. Doesn't matter whether you overclock or not the VRM will still get a workout with a cpu like that, especially if doing cpu intensive stuff.

You do realise that the Gigabyte Z390 UD which is a better board than that ASRock you suggested is cheaper right ? So not sure why you are bringing the cost/performance thing into it.

No it wouldn't be a waste going from a 6 core to an 8 core, especially if games can make use of those extra cores in the future. Saves having to buy a new motherboard and probably DDR5 ram when you can just drop a cpu in there.

Spending $350 on a cpu is still a lot cheaper than having to buy a new motherboard and ram. Also the price history of the 7700K has no bearing on the 9900K or future cpu's. The way AMD are starting to compete Intel cannot carry on asking stupid money for their product.

An SSD isn't just going to fail though is it ? There have been instances of them dying from power outages but that could potentially kill one or both so you have no cast iron guarantee there. Under normal usage they are very robust and less prone to failure than mechanical drives. And if you have any important data then you should be backing it up regardless.