Right to Repair

Message added by SansVarnic

As volatile as this subject can be, this thread is no place for political input.

If this derails, becomes less than civil or involves political, it will be locked.

I shipped my phone(oneplus 6) for a battery repair. It was out of warranty, free shipping, 8 bucks for battery, 20 bucks for labor. Money well spent. You should definitely be repairing your phone first before buying one new. It is a real waste. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Here's a concept: dont like planned obsolescence in apple products? Dont buy them. Any time you prop down more lobbiest created regulation you just make it harder for smaller companies to enter the market.

Apple doesn't want their customers running around with 6year old iPhones and portables. They want consumers to churn products....which all the belly aching is ironic given that Apple fanatics fork down whatever the price is for the latest gadget anyways.

I've supported thousands of PC based laptops over the years and 36months is about the average long end you want to keep them if they were top end to start with. Fans start going out...integrated GPUs start dying....displays get dim. E-waste the piece of junk and get a newer piece of junk. Want a better product that lasts longer? Start your own company and build them. Nobody will buy them because of the costs you will hand down to your customer for high MTF integrated electronics. 

I respect Rossman, but his point of view is narrow. He makes a living fixing broke Apple products and he wants Apple to make his job easier. Classic New York attitude.  Why should they? Yeah....we need more legislation and regulation. We can't even fire IT depts when Russians hack their unpatched Exchange servers because of job entitlement. I want regulations that senior system admins can't be hired if they live with their parents.

Apple rose to endpoint dominance because the PC industry builds trash and Microsoft let's any carnival hustler install OEM windows with no compliance. Not only will right to repair fail, or just be watered down,, but it will hurt consumers in the long run. More competition solves the problem....and more discriminating consumers. 

*** Thread locked ***

This thread is 3 years old. There are newer threads about the subject. Including LTT video. Please continue discussion in those:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv