Most stupidest thing I have ever heard.

JigglyPufflez

So literally like 3 minutes ago, my mum just told me that one of her friends got a cancer in her stomach and the cause of the cancer that the doctor said was "Eating too much microwaved food" and "Sleeping in a room with a computer in it". I have never heard of such thing ._. surely you can't get cancer from sleeping a room that also accompanies a computer? Do computers really radiate that much radiation to cause cancer? Heck do they radiate radiation at all? Not sure what this world has come to and what my mum thinks is real or not now... ._. 

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

If you have an old ,laptop or something like this and you have it sitting on your lap all the time then yes you migth get cancer from it. And btw almost everything is radioactive to certain extend. Even humans. And bananas. 

Yeah computers radiate but not enough to get cancer. Id be dead 3 times by now then xD

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

i think she wants you to go outside

10am to 2am couldn't be that bad could it? :P

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

Either that doctor is a quack that needs to get his license revoked or it's a made up story.

Not only does a computer not emit harmful radiation, but a microwave doesn't do anything harmful either. Microwave radiation is non-ionising, which means it's totally harmless (okay if you sit inside of a microwave you WILL die, cause you're getting cooked....)

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

If you have an old ,laptop or something like this and you have it sitting on your lap all the time then yes you migth get cancer from it. And btw almost everything is radioactive to certain extend. Even humans. And bananas. 

You can't get cancer from heat <_<

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Bacon causes cancer and now computers do too? What is wrong with people.

Bacon? ... be right back, I'm going to go kill myself.

that something a doctor for cali might say.

even the cars have a sticker stating the car will give you cancer

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Bacon causes cancer and now computers do too? What is wrong with people.

Simple, there's aren't any real dangers that threathen their lives, but we're genitically programmed to keep looking for those threats. So we end up blowing little things way out of proportion, or erring on the side of caution as it were and just assume that something is dangerous.

Grammar note: Any word containing the -est modifier is already at the maximum quantity. Saying Most Stupidest is essentially saying most most stupid. The proper way is either most stupid or stupidest, not most stupidest.

As for cancer from computers, they do output EM radiation, just like your TV, Radio, Car, smoke detector, cell phone, tablet, etc. Pretty much anything that uses electricity has some form of EM radiation output. As for it being dangerous, that is not even close. You would need something along the lines of dosing from every computer on earth for a year taken in a 24 hour period to cause major damage if EM radiation causes damage (I am not sure it does.). EM radiation is not exactly gamma rays, it will not give you cancer from a moderate exposure.

As I understand it, microwaves are not that dangerous, as in they do not linger. As soon as the oven dings, the waves have dissapated, and are no longer in danger. If you want any guaranteed damage from a microwave, you are almost certainly going to have to sit in one for an hour while it is running, and supposing you don't cook from it, you will probably die from heat stroke.  

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

Grammar note: Any word containing the -est modifier is already at the maximum quantity. Saying Most Stupidest is essentially saying most most stupid. The proper way is either most stupid or stupidest, not most stupidest.

As for cancer from computers, they do output EM radiation, just like your TV, Radio, Car, smoke detector, cell phone, tablet, etc. Pretty much anything that uses electricity has some form of EM radiation output. As for it being dangerous, that is not even close. You would need something along the lines of dosing from every computer on earth for a year taken in a 24 hour period to cause major damage if EM radiation causes damage (I am not sure it does.). EM radiation is not exactly gamma rays, it will not give you cancer from a moderate exposure.

As I understand it, microwaves are not that dangerous, as in they do not linger. As soon as the oven dings, the waves have dissapated, and are no longer in danger. If you want any guaranteed damage from a microwave, you are almost certainly going to have to sit in one for an hour while it is running, and supposing you don't cook from it, you will probably die from heat stroke.  

Thanks for the Grammar note! Also thanks for the detailed response, I will be sure to show/tell my mother about what you said. I don't think the cancer her friend got was from either Microwaved food or sleeping in a room which also has a computer in it. Thanks again bud!

LIGHT is EM radiation. People need to understand this. Microwaves for example are just lightwaves with a higher frequency than visible light.

Shit. If you get Cancer from computers what have I been doing with my life? Here I thought they shielded me from real life, but instead they just made me download Sims 3. Now I'm sad.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

no :) other things were the cause of the ladys health, not a PC or Microwave.

i7 4770K 4.7 Ghz (1.285vCore, CORSAIR H110) - GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER M5 - MSI GTX 780 (Arctic Hybrid watercooled)- G.SKILL 16gb 2133Mhz cl9 - SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256gb - CORSAIR 350D - CORSAIR RM 750W

LENOVO Y500 i7 3630qm 3.4 Ghz, GTX 650M SLI, 8gb 1600Mhz, WD 1tb, Cooler Master U2

BUILD LOG: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

Shit. If you get Cancer from computers what have I been doing with my life? Here I thought they shielded me from real life, but instead they just made me download Sims 3. Now I'm sad.

You have a beast rig!

LIGHT is EM radiation. People need to understand this. Microwaves for example are just lightwaves with a higher frequency than visible light.

I think you mean lower frequencies (or longer wavelengths), right?

(according to Wikipedia: microwave spectrum wavelength: ~ 1 mm to ~ 1 m,

microwaves used for heating food usually have a frequency of about 2.45 GHz,

which is somewhere around 10 cm I think, and visible light has wavelengths

of ~400 nm to ~700 nm, corresponding to frequencies of about 430 ~ 800 THz).

Unless I'm having a proper derp moment here. :rolleyes:

In any case, I definitely agree with you, people are way too scared of

microwave ovens just because they have no idea how they work.

The problem with 'microwave food' is not the microwave, it's that the

food usually sold as such is basically just edible crap.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

not talking about heat. talking about these old batterys. 

That's all they give off, heat. There is nothing else you could have meant.

True, but what I am failing to see is any qualified doctors in here to answer. I am pretty sure that EM radiation could do some major damage, but probably not in any concentration that you could get from computers in a single room (unless you have a state sized server room that is). It is just like Gravity, it can damage, just not at levels we naturally see. Or pressure sickness for that matter. You are fine at 10,000 feet, or sealevel, or 300 feet underwater. Does not mean pressure will not kill you, just not at levels we see without running out of air or imploding our airtanks.

Again, I am not a MD, and I am pretty sure you are not either (No offence is intended, and if you are I apologize now), so we should each take each others responses with a grain of salt. Now if we were talking about endocrinology, specifically T1 Diabetes, then I could guarantee some answers. 

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

You have a beast rig!

Off topic but thank you! Unfortunately I will have to dispose of it properly, now that I am aware of the dangerous effects of radiation it can cause. I suspect the source of said 'radiation' is the 'radiator'. Logically that makes sense.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

First to say that I am a newbie on the site and this was the first post I chose to go on to because it interested me. First to say is that radiation is everywhere no matter where you go. Even my basement has radiation. But it's in the form of a gas called Radon. To die from it I would have to live in my basement for the next year and never leave. So tell your mother to ask her friend if her family past has had cancer before.