upgrading laptop ssd few questions

intertan

I would like to upgrade my laptop SSD from 250gb to a 1tb. 

Lenovo t450s

what is the best way to transfer over windows from the old drive to the new one? 

I would also like to run linux on it as well, part of the reason for the upgrade

2 minutes ago, intertan said:

Lenovo t450s

what is the best way to transfer over windows from the old drive to the new one? 

I would also like to run linux on it as well, part of the reason for the upgrade

Only way you could transfer everything is if you had both drives plugged in the laptop at the same time or if you had another computer that you could plug both drives into. 

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

4 minutes ago, intertan said:

Lenovo t450s

Well, if you want to run linux on it, you could go ahead and install it on it now, use dd to clone the entire drive over to the new drive connected with a hard drive usb dock/adapter (at this point the partitions on the new drive are the same size as they where on the old drive). Then move the new drive into the pc and use a utility like gparted to expand the partitions to fill the larger drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I assume that you can't plug in both drives at the same time. Do you have a USB harddrive (or a big thumbdrive) or a second computer you can create a network share on, along with a small flashdrive?

You can download something like Macrium Reflect. Install it on the laptop and use it to create a backup image of your SSD and save it to the USB harddrive or network share. Then from the other tasks menu use the create rescue media to make a bootable flashdrive with a copy of Reflect on it. Shutdown the laptop, swap in the new (empty) SSD and boot the laptop using the flashdrive. Select recover and use the backup image you created earlier to write the new SSD (in the options select to expand the C partition to fill the extra space, or leave some free to install Linux later).

7 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

This would be a simple way out, but it's not the only option. There are lots of free cloning utilities out there, many come with ssds. It's up to you whether the simplicity of reinstalling the os is more hassle than cloning it over.

Uh, no, the complete opposite.

Cloning is the easy way out for lazy people that don't want to reinstall everything.

And as expected, taking shortcuts results in more issues in the long run, which is why there are thousands of posts on the internet of people having problems after cloning/migrating.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 hours ago, star_pilot475 said:

Only way you could transfer everything is if you had both drives plugged in the laptop at the same time or if you had another computer that you could plug both drives into. 

I will have a older decommission unraid setup next month. not in to much of a rush but in the next few months would like to get this done