Saftey concern direct to modem

xxWheixx

I wanted to test my internet speed without a modem as a part of some troubleshooting, but is it safe to plug directly into modem just for a few minutes?

ik it isnt safe to do it long term, just wondering if it matters for a few minutes to test the speed.

I do it a lot when troubleshooting and haven't died yet.

If you're super concerned, just make sure your software firewall is on.

Make sure to use rubber gloves when connecting and disconnecting your network cable. I hear there are viruses out there that can really jack up your zen thing.

i don't know how I even live with myself. ?

YES! You can connect directly to your modem without much risk. The majority of them have basic firewalls in them that will do for most people's usage. However, it is better to have a router connected just because they may have better firewalls and usually have better wifi gear inside.

10 hours ago, GuruOfNothing said:

The majority of them have basic firewalls in them that will do for most people's usage. H

Modems dont have firewalls. I think your confusing modems for gateways. A standard modem has no purpose but to authorize you on to your ISP's network. A gateway is a modem and router built in to one box. Gateways is what most ISPs give you. 

But to answer the OP's question, most modern OS's have some form of firewall. Id advise they make sure this is turned on. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.