GPU nowhere near full load

TheThias

Hello!

I am having trouble getting my GPU to reach full load. I own an RTX 2070, and i want to run games as close to 4k as possible without FPS under 60. I am able to do that in some games, but most games i am just below my playable mark of 60 FPS. If my GPU is simply not able to reach my demands, i would be able to just accept it and move on, but looking at benchmarks, my GPU never seem to go above the 60-65% load mark. As it seems like the last 10-20% would just about be enough to reach my demands, it really annoys me. One example is that PUBG 4K High settings is playable for me, but Battlefield 5, i need to go as low as 1080p Low settings for it to be playable. I notice the difference from PUBG’s optimization to Battlefield 5’s, but we’re talking 4k High, to 1080p low.

I have been looking around forums, but there does not seem to be an actual solution to force the GPU to reach a certain load percantage, but rather talks about how the GPU should never reach 100% and other sorts of irrelevant stuff in this case. Don’t get me wrong, of course the GPU should never reach 100%, and of course bottlenecks can have an affect and all that, but when the GPU is going max of 60-65% load, forcing the GPU load to a certain number (80% for example) would be a great place to start. 

For reference, my CPU (i5-8600k @4.3GHz overclocked atm) is also not always reaching it’s full load either, which tells me there would be room for a push on my GPU’s load.

I am looking forward to reading your solutions, and hopefully solutions will help others too. Let’s try and keep it “GPU Load push solutions” only, and try and stay away from topics like “Is your system bottlenecking your GPU?” or “You should not even be able to get the GPU Load to 100% anyways”, because those topics are all over the place already ;)

thank you in advance

6 minutes ago, TheThias said:

Hello!

I am having trouble getting my GPU to reach full load. I own an RTX 2070, and i want to run games as close to 4k as possible without FPS under 60. I am able to do that in some games, but most games i am just below my playable mark of 60 FPS. If my GPU is simply not able to reach my demands, i would be able to just accept it and move on, but looking at benchmarks, my GPU never seem to go above the 60-65% load mark. As it seems like the last 10-20% would just about be enough to reach my demands, it really annoys me. One example is that PUBG 4K High settings is playable for me, but Battlefield 5, i need to go as low as 1080p Low settings for it to be playable. I notice the difference from PUBG’s optimization to Battlefield 5’s, but we’re talking 4k High, to 1080p low.

I have been looking around forums, but there does not seem to be an actual solution to force the GPU to reach a certain load percantage, but rather talks about how the GPU should never reach 100% and other sorts of irrelevant stuff in this case. Don’t get me wrong, of course the GPU should never reach 100%, and of course bottlenecks can have an affect and all that, but when the GPU is going max of 60-65% load, forcing the GPU load to a certain number (80% for example) would be a great place to start. 

For reference, my CPU (i5-8600k @4.3GHz overclocked atm) is also not always reaching it’s full load either, which tells me there would be room for a push on my GPU’s load.

I am looking forward to reading your solutions, and hopefully solutions will help others too. Let’s try and keep it “GPU Load push solutions” only, and try and stay away from topics like “Is your system bottlenecking your GPU?” or “You should not even be able to get the GPU Load to 100% anyways”, because those topics are all over the place already ;)

thank you in advance

could be that your cpu is bottlenecking your gpu, since its running only 4.3ghz for 4k gaming!

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Ram configuration?

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Do you run raytraycing in Battlefield 5? I read that that could have a significant performance impact.

you should be able to get higher fps than that in bf5.

I own an rtx2070 myself paired with an i5 9600k and i play at 3440x1440 whithout problems. Im not sure if im playing at high or ultra. But i don't have raytracing enabled.

My guess is a bottleneck somewhere else or maybe power delivery?

8 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

could be that your cpu is bottlenecking your gpu, since its running only 4.3ghz for 4k gaming!

Thanks for response. Usually my CPU is running at 30-60% load. It IS able to go to 90%+, but it’s rarely required and it usually sits roughly between 30-60%. 

8 hours ago, alatron978 said:

Ram configuration?

Thanks for response. Haven’t messed with anything other than overclocking to 3000MHz. It’s 2x8GB DDR4 btw

8 hours ago, JJB said:

Do you run raytraycing in Battlefield 5? I read that that could have a significant performance impact.

Thanks for response. Raytracing is turned off manually. I have also gone through the different critical settings impacting the performance and tweaked it for best performance. I have a friend that also has to run Battlefield 5 on 1080p instead of 1440p as he normally run games (he use an GTX 1070), so could just be the game having trouble in general, but either way my GPU is not running above 60% which is the first problem in my head, as it clearly can’t handle the games with ease below 60%. Again, could be missing something, but if my PC can’t handle the tasks, why does it stay at a low load percentage. I mean, what is the point in spending the extra money for a 2070 running 60% load but is basically at the same level as it’s previous generation (1070 for example) on 90% load, without being precise btw.

7 hours ago, LeSheen said:

you should be able to get higher fps than that in bf5.

I own an rtx2070 myself paired with an i5 9600k and i play at 3440x1440 whithout problems. Im not sure if im playing at high or ultra. But i don't have raytracing enabled.

My guess is a bottleneck somewhere else or maybe power delivery?

Thanks for response. Looking at my benchmarks on MSI Afterburner, it does not immediatly appear that a bottleneck should be a thing. I also just upgraded all hardware except the CPU watercooler, but cooling does not seem to be a problem anyway. Although, i have never studied power numbers so that is technically a possibility i never thought about. I use a 750W PSU and everything is set to auto, so it shouldn’t be ... right? I mean, if a game require more power to handle the demands, it would just request more power ... right? 

that sounds like an OC on air. try an AIO perhaps? or push your OC and use an AVX offset to keep it stable when blending and Cinebenching. both? 

First thing I would try to do is to wipe and re-install drivers.

What about GPU clocks in-game? Are they more or less stable, or do they jump all over the place? Windows set to high performance?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

9 minutes ago, InFlightConsultant said:

that sounds like an OC on air. try an AIO perhaps? or push your OC and use an AVX offset to keep it stable when blending and Cinebenching. both? 

Thanks for response. I am not quite experienced enough to understand. I have tried google, but AVX offset is only for CPU’s right? The problem lays in the GPU’s load. Would you be able to explain what you said? I’m sorry xD

So what does it do on a benchmark such as unigine?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

First thing I would try to do is to wipe and re-install drivers.

What about GPU clocks in-game? Are they more or less stable, or do they jump all over the place? Windows set to high performance?

Thanks for response. After upgrading all hardware, i also ran a wipe and reinstall of the whole system from the ground up, so my benchmarks is shown from a fresh install. Regarding the GPU clocks, i am not able to tell atm and i wont be able to find out for a few days as i’m not home, but i have used the automatic OC feature in MSI Afterburner. I’ll hope to remember to answer your question about the clocks in-game as soon as i’m home again. Also, Windows is set to high performance

7 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So what does it do on a benchmark such as unigine?

Thanks for response. I have not tried running unigine. I am not able to test it in a few days as i’m not home at the moment, but i’ll hope to remember to test it as soon as i get home ?

1 hour ago, TheThias said:

Thanks for response. I am not quite experienced enough to understand. I have tried google, but AVX offset is only for CPU’s right? The problem lays in the GPU’s load. Would you be able to explain what you said? I’m sorry xD

Yes AVX offset is for CPUs. AVX is an instruction set that tends to be used in apps like Cinebench, Blender and anything else that is math/compute heavy. It stresses the CPU and creates heat. The 'AVX offset' in BIOS allows you run those instructions at a lower clock. the AVX offset is subtracted from your core multiplier. so AVX offset of 2 and a multiplier of 43x would mean that you'd be at 4.3Ghz, but if you are executing AVX instructions it will clock down to 4.1Ghz. People use it to push their CPUs faster and keep them stable during computationally intensive stuff. 

someone above had the suggestion that because you are gaming at 4K you are back to being CPU bound. 

anyway, is it smooth? I'm thinking the automatic OC has applied too much voltage perhaps...not sure. 

5 minutes ago, InFlightConsultant said:

Yes AVX offset is for CPUs. AVX is an instruction set that tends to be used in apps like Cinebench, Blender and anything else that is math/compute heavy. It stresses the CPU and creates heat. The 'AVX offset' in BIOS allows you run those instructions at a lower clock. the AVX offset is subtracted from your core multiplier. so AVX offset of 2 and a multiplier of 43x would mean that you'd be at 4.3Ghz, but if you are executing AVX instructions it will clock down to 4.1Ghz. People use it to push their CPUs faster and keep them stable during computationally intensive stuff. 

someone above had the suggestion that because you are gaming at 4K you are back to being CPU bound. 

anyway, is it smooth? I'm thinking the automatic OC has applied too much voltage perhaps...not sure. 

Thank you, that is very informative. I’ll catch up on it in a few days once i’m home again ?

14 hours ago, TheThias said:

Thanks for response. Looking at my benchmarks on MSI Afterburner, it does not immediatly appear that a bottleneck should be a thing. I also just upgraded all hardware except the CPU watercooler, but cooling does not seem to be a problem anyway. Although, i have never studied power numbers so that is technically a possibility i never thought about. I use a 750W PSU and everything is set to auto, so it shouldn’t be ... right? I mean, if a game require more power to handle the demands, it would just request more power ... right? 

Those parts with 750 watts should be no problem running 650w powersupply myself

On 6/21/2019 at 8:10 AM, SavageNeo said:

Why would CPU clocks need to be higher for higher resolution? The GPU is pushing pixels, not CPU. If the refresh rate target were above 60, the CPU would be somewhat in question, but the 8600k even at stock is formidable for 144Hz

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad