Weird issue with counting files in windows explorer

Dentsor

Hi!

I'm having this really weird issue in Windows, where Windows Explorer reports wildly inaccurate file count and folder size.

In the attached image, the left properties panel is of the containing folder "_bak_MacWindows" (backup folder of my old Bootcamp install),
the middle one is from selecting all the files in that folder, while the right one is of the same folder after being copied onto my NAS.

Out of these three, the right one seems to be the most accurate, but I'm worried what has happened for Windows Explorer to be so far of in it's counting?

Only thing I've found online is a possible hardware error in a failing harddrive, I'm just hoping it's not, as it would be the third one to die on me in a year, and the third total in my 10+ years of working with computers...

I have run a compare on the drive and my NAS-backup, and WinMerge can't find any differences, and Windows Explorer doesn't report anything of out the ordinary with any other folder I've checked on the drive...

Any ideas on the issue?

And, possible any suggestions for an easy (windows*) utility to reliably check a harddrives health?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :D

* Windows, meaning an application or utility I can run within Windows not requiring me to move the drive to a Linux machine... I'll also take suggestions for Linux utilities, just easier if there's a good Windows one ^.^

2019-06-21 12_14_58-Window.png

try running WinDirStat on those folders

https://windirstat.net/

It will give a graphical representation of what is in those folders.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>