I'm gonna max out an old iMac...

Hi, so on eBay right now is an iMac A1225 2.8 ghz C2D, socket PGA 478 (I think) which is a mobile socket, but please correct me if that isn't correct, I have no real idea about Macs, as I've never had one before, and that socket as all mobile sockets is a weird one to say the least. I think the best CPU for that socket is the C2Q X9000 or a C2E X9100 dual core. My questions are as follows;

Will the Mac support either of those Cpus? I think it physically does  but because of the limitations of a mobile socket and firmware is there any chance I can Check if it a CPU is supported in OSx? 

Also, since they are only 45w each, will the stock cooler with a dust and some new thermal paste be enough to cool it?

Finally, will it be worth an upgrade from the stock CPU, or should I just stick with that?

My primary use will be gaming, so does anyone also know of a good card that would fit that? Thanks

"Good things might come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late" Bill Withers, 1981

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC  RAM16GB TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB (2×8GB 3200MHz) GPU:AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 MSI Air Boost OC Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 (With all accessories) Storage: Seagate Barracuda 510 512GB NVME M.2 SSD, 2× 5400RPM Seagate NAS 2TB HDDs PSU: GameMax RGB-850 850W Modular RGB 80+ Gold Display: Viotek GN32DB 32″ Curved Monitor – 144Hz 1440p WQHD VA with FreeSync Cooling: AMD Wraith Prism RGB Keyboard: Anne Pro 2 60% NKRO Bluetooth 4.0 Type-C RGB 61 Keys Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Gateron Brown Switches Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Wired Gaming Mouse Sound: RAZER Kraken Gaming Headset Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Laptop: Clevo P641RE Gaming Laptop (14.1", i7-6700HQ, GTX 970M, 500GB NVME M.2, 16GB DDR4) Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 128GB Coral Blue Earphones: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2

5 minutes ago, David_1276 said:

My primary use will be gaming, so does anyone also know of a good card that would fit that? Thanks

so why are you getting a mac? but some of those have a mxm card, you just need an apple approved card.

6 minutes ago, David_1276 said:

Finally, will it be worth an upgrade from the stock CPU, or should I just stick with that?

Probably not worth it, you already have the 2.8 and the c2x is 3.07, very small performance bump.

9 minutes ago, David_1276 said:

CPU is supported in OSx

check out a website call "low end mac" and it'll have more specs than you can shake a stick at, including upgrade paths...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

so why are you getting a mac? but some of those have a mxm card, you just need an apple approved card.

Probably not worth it, you already have the 2.8 and the c2x is 3.07, very small performance bump.

I already have an i7 3770k gtx 1060 6g gaming rig but I also need it for music creation, but would like it to be At least decent for gaming

"Good things might come to those who wait, but not to those who wait too late" Bill Withers, 1981

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC  RAM16GB TeamGroup T-Force Delta RGB (2×8GB 3200MHz) GPU:AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 MSI Air Boost OC Case: Lian Li Lancool 2 (With all accessories) Storage: Seagate Barracuda 510 512GB NVME M.2 SSD, 2× 5400RPM Seagate NAS 2TB HDDs PSU: GameMax RGB-850 850W Modular RGB 80+ Gold Display: Viotek GN32DB 32″ Curved Monitor – 144Hz 1440p WQHD VA with FreeSync Cooling: AMD Wraith Prism RGB Keyboard: Anne Pro 2 60% NKRO Bluetooth 4.0 Type-C RGB 61 Keys Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Gateron Brown Switches Mouse: Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Wired Gaming Mouse Sound: RAZER Kraken Gaming Headset Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Laptop: Clevo P641RE Gaming Laptop (14.1", i7-6700HQ, GTX 970M, 500GB NVME M.2, 16GB DDR4) Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 128GB Coral Blue Earphones: Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 2

1 minute ago, David_1276 said:

I already have an i7 3770k gtx 1060 6g gaming rig but I also need it for music creation, but would like it to be At least decent for gaming

you can also do music creation on your pc? What programs are you using?

This thing is gonna be slow and won't support recent versions of osx. If you really need a mac get something newer thats supported or make your pc into a hackintosh.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can also do music creation on your pc? What programs are you using?

This thing is gonna be slow and won't support recent versions of osx. If you really need a mac get something newer thats supported or make your pc into a hackintosh.

I'd be using garage band and sibelius, and I don't think you can get those on MAC? Also I hate OSX but I think it's the only way I can get garage band

My PC:

4 hours ago, David_1276 said:

I'd be using garage band and sibelius, and I don't think you can get those on MAC? Also I hate OSX but I think it's the only way I can get garage band

Have you tried running a hackintosh? 

Or other simmilar programs? Garageband is fine, but nothing special.