Cherry Reds or Browns?

Maximusfoximus

Switch Type  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Red or Brown?

• Red
    • Brown

I am currently in the market for a mechanical keyboard. I am an experienced typist at around 90 wpm and pretty much hit my maximum speed on any keyboard. I plan on buying a new mechanical keyboard for typing (with a few games occasionally but primarily typing). I was wondering which you guys think "feels" better when you type. Do you prefer browns or reds? Which one is the most enjoyable over long sessions without causing annoyance?

Personal preference. Go test one in a store or buy from a retailer that accept no question returns and buy both and keep the one you like.

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

Personal preference. Go test one in a store or buy from a retailer that accept no question returns and buy both and keep the one you like.

I would do that but I only have enough cash at the moment to try one so that why I wanted to see what everyone else thinks before I pull the trigger

32 minutes ago, Maximusfoximus said:

I am currently in the market for a mechanical keyboard. I am an experienced typist at around 90 wpm and pretty much hit my maximum speed on any keyboard. I plan on buying a new mechanical keyboard for typing (with a few games occasionally but primarily typing). I was wondering which you guys think "feels" better when you type. Do you prefer browns or reds? Which one is the most enjoyable over long sessions without causing annoyance?

Why do you limit yourself with just 2 options? Out of these 2 I would pick brown, but I would recommend buying hot swap board like this https://www.pcgamingrace.com/products/gmmk-full-customized there are ton of switch options and you can change the switches later on. Kailh BOX Browns might be one of the options to consider IMO.

I don't like either switch. But red would be the better of the 2 for me. 

Brown are not tactile enough for a tactile. Reds are a bit too stiff for a linear. And Cherry switches are too scratchy for my taste.

If I wanted a tactile switch V2 Zeals are by far the best, for linear I'd choose Gateron Clear because of how light they are. And Kailh BOX Jade for clicky (or BOX Navy if I actually hated the people I'd be using it around).

If you get a keyboard that's not Cherry you can get a much better board for a lot less. Cherry is drastically overrated 

That's an F in the profile pic

27 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

If you get a keyboard that's not Cherry you can get a much better board for a lot less. Cherry is drastically overrated 

Also, there are many alternates that are leagues above cherry, notably premium gateron switches (Zeals, Inks, Aliaz etc), Box switches, etc. Which are smoother, sharper, more tactile etc. 

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

Yeah, I am fine with Gaterons. I am just trying to see what switch of the two people like beter. 

If you have a Best Buy (or even Staples) near you, many of them have mechanical keyboards on display.

18 hours ago, Maximusfoximus said:

Yeah, I am fine with Gaterons. I am just trying to see what switch of the two people like beter. 

I like keyboards that have feedback but not Blue level feedback, and with a lighter spring tension than Blue. 

I went from a K70 LUX Blues (bad value) to a low profile Brown (I think Gate Ron) board and I'm loving it 

That's an F in the profile pic