Sub Zero Oil Submerged Computer.

Jizburg

I found a video with a peltier unit

It is going to be something like this only in oil to prevent condensation.

I think that if i only am able to shield the CPU from the oil directly and thus preventing the oil from warming the cpu  i would be able to reach sub zero degrees. Well thats my abition anyways :)
That could be done with silicon rubber around the CPU and heatsink after assembely i think. or somethink like that

and i will have to find some big car radiator or something like that to cool the oil with.. or maby an array of big radiators that are made for cooling CPUs with water.

i will just have to see how it goes. still need to buy some thinks before i start building.

Thanks for all the feedback. It is nice to be taken seriously when planing a build=)

would a 542Watt peltier be enough?

dTload = (1 – (heat load/max cooling power)) * max temp difference

1100t is a 125W processor at stcok voltage of 1.325.

Assuming you bring the voltage all the way up to 1.6 (supposedly dangerous but might be doable on a TEC) you're CPU will be pulling 150W.

And if the no load dT for the TEC is around 50 degrees celcius.

You can expect temperatures of ~5 degrees at load. Theoretically.

A car radiator isn't a bad idea but it might be simpler to pick up something like a 9x120mm water cooling radiator, mainly due to fan mounting and tubing sizes or whatnot.

dTload = (1 – (heat load/max cooling power)) * max temp difference

1100t is a 125W processor at stcok voltage of 1.325.

Assuming you bring the voltage all the way up to 1.6 (supposedly dangerous but might be doable on a TEC) you're CPU will be pulling 150W.

And if the no load dT for the TEC is around 50 degrees celcius.

You can expect temperatures of ~5 degrees at load. Theoretically.

that sounds pretty good in theory

A car radiator isn't a bad idea but it might be simpler to pick up something like a 9x120mm water cooling radiator, mainly due to fan mounting and tubing sizes or whatnot.

hmm... were could i find one of those?

Phobya and Koolance both have a couple models of 9x120mm radiators.

I don't know where you are located but frozencpu.com is located in the USA and ship worldwide.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11760/ex-rad-123/Phobya_XTREME_Nova_1080_Radiator.html?tl=g30c95s667

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18382/ex-rad-484/Phobya_G-Changer_XTREME_Nova_1080_Full_Copper_Radiator_-_60mm.html?tl=g30c95s667

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15419/ex-rad-360/Koolance_9x120mm_18-FPI_Aluminum_Radiator_-_HX-1080_no_nozzles.html?tl=g30c95s667

They also sell other extremely large radiators such as 9x140mm, 4x220mm, 4x180mm, etc.

would a 542Watt peltier be enough?

I would hope so. D: That is a lot of power! I know nothing about them though.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

I would hope so. D: That is a lot of power! I know nothing about them though.

it is :P

Phobya and Koolance both have a couple models of 9x120mm radiators.

I don't know where you are located but frozencpu.com is located in the USA and ship worldwide.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11760/ex-rad-123/Phobya_XTREME_Nova_1080_Radiator.html?tl=g30c95s667

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18382/ex-rad-484/Phobya_G-Changer_XTREME_Nova_1080_Full_Copper_Radiator_-_60mm.html?tl=g30c95s667

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15419/ex-rad-360/Koolance_9x120mm_18-FPI_Aluminum_Radiator_-_HX-1080_no_nozzles.html?tl=g30c95s667

They also sell other extremely large radiators such as 9x140mm, 4x220mm, 4x180mm, etc.

hmm interesting. not that expensive either.

The only issue I see is that it measures 62x62mm.  I think the TEC is larger than the IHS.

that could be solved by adding a small copper plate between the peltier and the cpu i think

instead of the tower cooler, wouldn t it be better to use a waterblock(with water floring thru it)?

I mean that cpu tower is made to dissipate 100 watts of cpu and you want to push 650 (150 cpu + 500 peltier) watts on it, I don t think it is a good idea...

But with a water block you can dissipate as much as you want to.

Also water conduct heat way better than oil, watercooling things are made for water and since the water would be in a closed loop there would srill be no risk of water dammage

The oil around the component would only serve as a barrier to prevent condensation.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

that could be solved by adding a small copper plate between the peltier and the cpu i think

You should use some kind insulation around the exposed peliter to improve its performance. Copper is very thermally conductive and therefore would be less than ideal as an insulator. You want to cover up all of the cold side of the TEC that is exposed to the oil. I'm at a loss as to what kind of insulation you could submerge in oil. Perhaps some kind of foam might work.

instead of the tower cooler, wouldn t it be better to use a waterblock(with water floring thru it)?

I mean that cpu tower is made to dissipate 100 watts of cpu and you want to push 650 (150 cpu + 500 peltier) watts on it, I don t think it is a good idea...

But with a water block you can dissipate as much as you want to.

Also water conduct heat way better than oil, watercooling things are made for water and since the water would be in a closed loop there would srill be no risk of water dammage

The oil around the component would only serve as a barrier to prevent condensation.

i believe that diferent cpu towers are made to dissepate diferent amounts of heat.

i have thought about watercooling as well.

You should use some kind insulation around the exposed peliter to improve its performance. Copper is very thermally conductive and therefore would be less than ideal as an insulator. You want to cover up all of the cold side of the TEC that is exposed to the oil. I'm at a loss as to what kind of insulation you could submerge in oil. Perhaps some kind of foam might work.

you missunderstood me.i do not mean to place the copper around as an insulation.  i need the copper between the CPU and the TEC and between the TEC and the Cooler just because the TEC has a bigger surfuce area that both the cpu and the cooler. but yes. this whole paccage with CPU TEC and cooler base is going to be thermaly insulated from the hot oil with some kind of subsance.

the copper plate is going to be a thermal conductor between the diferent parts of the cooling solution.

Adding more material between the peltier and the CPU will decrease performance. What I was suggesting is that since the peltier is larger than your CPU, a portion of the cold side will be exposed to the oil. I reccommend you insulate any part of the cold side of the peltier that is exposed to the oil in order to maximize performace.