To RAID 0 or to not RAID 0? That is the question..

ch3w2oy

I'm trying to figure out what to do as NVMe drives are cheaper than before, I'd like to pick up another 1TB drive..

SITUATION:

Right now I have an SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe. I also use a 2TB Seagate HDD (will expand as necessary) to store an Image backup of my primary drive (SX8200 PRO) along with other files/backups.. 

I don't like to fill my primary drive with games/large files, but am currently using it to store the few games I do play often, but I have deleted quite a few that I would like to re-download so I can play when I want..

I don't know why but when I check under "This PC," I HATE seeing the drives even half full, I like to know I have plenty of headroom.. It's like OCD or something, I don't like it..

QUESTION:

Since the prices of NVMe drives have come down I'm looking to expand my storage and I'm wondering if I should just get another SX8200 Pro 1TB and run them in RAID 0 for 2TB of storage and not worry about filling it up or just get a cheaper NVMe for my games/large files??

The SX8200 Pro is $149 on Amazon and the cheaper ones that utilize the Phison E12 controller are around $115 (Sabret and SP)..

I'm not worried about RAID 0 failing.. So what would you do, RAID 0 2TB for $150 or get a cheaper 1TB NVMe for storage needs?

Might seem like an obvious choice but I'm not sure if I'm missing something or not (never tried RAID 0).. Advice, opinions and experience is welcome! Thank you!

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Seems to me that paying 150$ so you can not see drives half full is a bit exorbitant, you don't even gain from using nvme for games. but hey, that's not even 6 times of the apple stand... 

Anyhow, my philosophy when it comes to raid 0: if he dies, he dies

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

3 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Seems to me that paying 150$ so you can not see drives half full is a bit exorbitant, you don't even gain from using nvme for games. but hey, that's not even 6 times of the apple stand... 

Anyhow, my philosophy when it comes to raid 0: if he dies, he dies

I had my 1TB at 3/4 before and I just don't like it.. $50 isn't much so I don't see a point in getting a 2.5" SSD.. If it was up around $200+ like when I originally bought it, I would second guess it, but I don't care if I have to spend $115-150 for extra storage.. I don't see a large enough price difference to justify saving a couple bucks..

I'm not familiar with RAID 0 as I haven't done it before so I'm not sure if it's worth it or not.. Either way, I'm adding more storage and would like advice on how to do so..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build