How Can I Delete the System Reserved Partition on my Non-Boot Drive?

RelentlessAF

Hi there, my M.2 SSD is what windows is installed on. I used to have Ubuntu installed on my HDD but I deleted all the data and formatted the drive. However the System Reserved partition is still there with what I assume is the boot files for Ubuntu and I am unable to delete it in disk management. Googling it suggests a bunch of sketchy looking tools to use so is there any in Windows way I can delete it?

Thanks for all the help!

Windows won't remove a system partition without cleaning the entire drive, it's a failsafe to stop people deleting their boot partitions and ending up with a non booting machine.

I'd recommend Easeus Partition Manager, the free version should do the job.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Windows won't remove a system partition without cleaning the entire drive, it's a failsafe to stop people deleting their boot partitions and ending up with a non booting machine.

Am I able to do that from DISKPART like described here?: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71363-system-reserved-partition-delete.html

I tried it just now but it wouldn't allow me I'm assuming it can't be done while I'm at the desktop?

1 minute ago, GingerbreadPK said:

Am I able to do that from DISKPART like described here?: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71363-system-reserved-partition-delete.html

I tried it just now but it wouldn't allow me I'm assuming it can't be done while I'm at the desktop?

That wouldn't work from Desktop but should work if you boot from a usb or DVD and follow the instructions.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

That wouldn't work from Desktop but should work if you boot from a usb or DVD and follow the instructions.

If you run CMD in administrator and use Diskpart to remove partitions it works, even with system reserved partitions in Windows. At least it does in Windows 10 with previously formatted drives. You can also use Diskpart to "Clean" the drive which essentially removes everything and wipes the drive better than formatting it, but that you do have to be in a windows installer or intermediary like WinPE for it to work.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

7 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

If you run CMD in administrator and use Diskpart to remove partitions it works, even with system reserved partitions in Windows. At least it does in Windows 10 with previously formatted drives. You can also use Diskpart to "Clean" the drive which essentially removes everything and wipes the drive better than formatting it, but that you do have to be in a windows installer or intermediary like WinPE for it to work.

You know, the idea of running command prompt as administrator never entered my head when I tried to remove a system partition from a drive. Now you've said it it seems obvious too.