Using Desktop PC as a remote GPU cluster for Laptop

Badrock

Hello guys. 

I am a master's student in Mechanical and my course requires me to do a lot of simulations. I have an old inspiron 15z laptop which is decent for day to day use and occasional dota2 and rainbow six seige but is not practical for running simulations of any level. I deal with CFD simulations, Structural simulation and ANNs. For that reason, I have decided to assemble a desktop PC with the Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 980ti and 16gb of ram. So far I am very happy and satisfied with the performance of the PC but I would like to use this computing power remotely from my laptop, kind of running the simulations off my PC. I would like to know if its possible and has anybody already done it.

remote in to your pc using something with a gui (graphical user interface

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The best solution, IMHO, is to set up a private VPN and use VNC or Windows Remote Desktop.

I dislike the security problems that come with TeamViewer and the like.  Though, TeamViewer is a viable solution if you are willing to accept the security risk.

As others said the easiest solution is to remote in and run the simulation - the only issue is that if you set the simulation parameters on your laptop and the simulation files are large it could take a while to transfer them over to your desktop over the internet. You can avoid this problem if you do all the work remotely; you'll have a bit of input lag but that may not be a problem if you just need to tweak some numbers and equations.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, will1432 said:

remote in to your pc using something with a gui (graphical user interface

Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest me some application capable of doing it please.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

As others said the easiest solution is to remote in and run the simulation - the only issue is that if you set the simulation parameters on your laptop and the simulation files are large it could take a while to transfer them over to your desktop over the internet. You can avoid this problem if you do all the work remotely; you'll have a bit of input lag but that may not be a problem if you just need to tweak some numbers and equations.

Thank You Sauron. The thing is if i use applications like team viewer i have to be present at both the systems to enable the link. I do not want something like that. Can you suggest some applications that are capable of doing what i need.

5 minutes ago, Badrock said:

Thank You Sauron. The thing is if i use applications like team viewer i have to be present at both the systems to enable the link. I do not want something like that. Can you suggest some applications that are capable of doing what i need.

No, you do not need to be present to enable the link.  There are options to enable TV as a "server" so that it auto accepts connections from specific users.

I use this configuration for clients that have locally managed inboxes (100's of gigs of e-mails) so they can remote in to their primary PC and check mail.

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

No, you do not need to be present to enable the link.  There are options to enable TV as a "server" so that it auto accepts connections from specific users.

i use this configuration for clients that have locally managed inboxes (100's of gigs of e-mails) so they can remote in to their primary PC and check mail.

Oh thanks a lot man. I will check with teamviewer right away

53 minutes ago, Badrock said:

Well as was already pointed out you don't need to be there to use teamviewer, in any case windows remote desktop work pretty well if you prefer it but it requires a bit more configuration. Someone suggested VNC but... even though I like open protocols VNC is not the fastest, plus it's not encrypted by default so to have decent security it would take quite a bit of work to set up.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

14 hours ago, Sauron said:

Well as was already pointed out you don't need to be there to use teamviewer, in any case windows remote desktop work pretty well if you prefer it but it requires a bit more configuration. Someone suggested VNC but... even though I like open protocols VNC is not the fastest, plus it's not encrypted by default so to have decent security it would take quite a bit of work to set up.

I thought Microsoft's own remote program was only in windows pro

Try using NoMachine, a great free alternative to Teamviewer.

🙂