Hard drives getting way to hot

DarthSmartt

I have a fully custom watercooled pc with a large 360mm radiator at the front in front of my hard drives so naturally they don't get much airflow as the fan rpm is always very low.. I noticed the drives are getting extremely hot. Way out of my comfort zone. I have not seen an exact reading of the temperatures as i don't know a good program i can temporarily install. If i had to guess, Id say they are about 60-65c. They are to the point where i cannot keep my hand on them. I want to get a small fan to put in front of the drives, but I dont want any extra noise. it is just a bay of three drives all crammed together. I was just wondering if there were any suggestions on how to keep them cool.

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"

Hwinfo or crystaldiskinfo can tell you drive temps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The drives are getting the heat that the radiator's dumping into the air

60-65'C is right at the temperature limit for most HDDs. Anything up to 50'C is usually fine. Can you spread the drives out in your case to give all of them room to breathe?

If you want the drives to last , keep them between 35..45c

Space out the drives and consider adding a 120-140 mm fan to move air between them, the bigger fan the lower the rpm

or increase radiator fan rpm a bit for more airflow

if the case has bays for optical drives, maybe move drives there? there's adapters that can convert 1-2 5.25" bays to 3.5" drives.

9 hours ago, mariushm said:

If you want the drives to last , keep them between 35..45c

Space out the drives and consider adding a 120-140 mm fan to move air between them, the bigger fan the lower the rpm

or increase radiator fan rpm a bit for more airflow

if the case has bays for optical drives, maybe move drives there? there's adapters that can convert 1-2 5.25" bays to 3.5" drives.

I only have two usable spots for 3.5 inch drives and no optical bays as I had to mod my case to put the 360 in the front. I may be able to stick a 120mm fan. the space around the drives is tight though.

Build:                                                                          

Intel Core I7 6700k (clocked to 4.6ghz)

Patriot Viper 3000mhz ddr4

ASUS maximus 8 hero (I hate this mobo)

Evga gtx 1080 superclocked

250GB Samsung 850 evo

2tb WD Black 7200rpm

Ek watercooling kit a240g with 360 expansion pack

Primochill Vue Red fluid

Corsair Graphite 600t (white)

You thought "Gee, Donald Trump sure has a great build!"