Gpu fried without being connected to the psu

Hi all,

So yesterday I got a new PSU because my old one was acting up. I plugged everything up, turned on my computer and it worked...for 5min then it turned off and it refused to turn back on. I checked everything, tested the PSU... Everything seemed ok  but I couldn't fix the problem until I read somewhere that the fan cable can cause a an issue where the pc won't work if it's not plugged in correctly. I plugged the fan cable to another input and turned on my computer and it worked BUT my GPU was not plugged in to the PSU only to the PCI slot. As soon as I turned on the computer I heard a popping sound and saw fire coming out of the GPU. I turned off my computer immediately, tried to turn it back on but in vain. The GPU was fried. First of all I wanna how can GPU catch on fire when it's not even plugged to the effing PSU?? Now I wanna get a new GPU (naturally) do I risk frying it up by plugging it to the same system? I turned on my PC without the GPU and it worked just fine.

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

because a pcie can supply 35-75 watts of power on it's own and there are multiple reasons for it to catch fire?

what psu tho?

Xge atx 700w

1 minute ago, MarilynKira said:

Xge atx 700w

swap that while you're at it, it looks really sketch

and group regulated, it only has 600 watts combined on the 12v

4 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

Corsair/Seasonic will do you solid and for a single GPU

i disagree

NEVER

EVER

JUDGE

ON 

BRAND

14 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

how about you take at least 5 chill pills for those lines of capitals and sit down

i wasn't angry... just aware

14 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

AX/HX/RMX

ax is mostly replaced by axi, hx by hxi and are probably way out of budget

15 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

SeaSonic G-Series

mostly eol

eVGA can also be okay

say that to the g3

don't even look at corsair CX

not the green, but you haven't seen the new ones yet i think

16 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

TX is pushing it

and isn't sold anymore, replaced by the txm

your information seems to be outdated, have a free psu tier list

1 hour ago, starcoaster said:

TX is pushing it but might be okay

TXM is a better power supply than the Seasonic Focus+ FYI.

It's only downside is a bit of a higher noise fan which is a non issue for the greatest majority of users.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

54 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

searching tx brings up results for txm

Not the same PSU. Same applies with CX and CXM.

55 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

£85 for a 650w power supply shouldn't be over budget for a system with a dGPU you care about. if you're cheaping out on a PSU you're setting yourself up for problems

You can get good units for cheaper.

Among them are bequet Pure Power (above 400w)

Corsair TXM

Cooler Master MWE Gold

Corsair CX (2017)

Judging PSUs by brand is not what you do. 

57 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

still good units if you can find them, but searching "seasonic G-series" on amazon brings up current gen SSR products anyway

You can find Diablotek PSUs even though the company has been out of business for a while. 

There is plenty of old PSUs on the market that one should avoid, seasonic is one of the worst offenders when it comes to selling outdated hardware

57 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

£85 for a 650w power supply shouldn't be over budget for a system with a dGPU you care about. if you're cheaping out on a PSU you're setting yourself up for problems

true, but it can be done cheaper these days

58 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

yes, i acknowleged evga have some utter shite psu's. P2 has been ok for me.

yeah, g3 would've been good without it having 2/5 units go out of spec or even die in overpower testing. they're just rebranded superflowers tho

59 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

no, i haven't, i don't look at entry tier products. new ones look like cheap clones of txm units.

you're actually not entirely wrong. the txm and one version of the cx 2017 are based off the same platform from greatwall

1 minute ago, starcoaster said:

interesting, perhaps it won't go pop and nuke my project machine. truly disappointing.

Actually the seasonic focus line has some OCP issues that havent been resolved yet. This is with the post-fix models. Pre-fix models just have a too sensetive OCP trigger (iirc). 

So it can be a potential issue.

how about you take at least 5 chill pills for those lines of capitals and sit down, if i went through and specified the individual subtypes of power supply that are okay i'd be here all day.

How about looking at this Thread:

You see going by brand is the reason why such pretty bad units can still exist.

And because of Recommendations that say "ah, just get a Corsair/Seasonic"...

Though Corsair at least works on Protection...

OP can take some initiative and do a little homework on which power supply is best to get from a specific brand

He asked us for advise and why not just recommend the right one in the first place?!
I mean the Name of the unit doesn't cost you much more time...

And also try to think about the other side, that fights against Misinformation and bad advise. How would you react the 25th time someone did something bad that was obvious to you, in your field (whatever that is).

See, its the same with us and "going by Brand". Brand means nothing. Especially in the PSU Business!
Everyone that is competent (and has the money) is able to make awesome units. Proven by the latest Bitfenix units.

And everyone that doesn't care or lacks competent doesn't do too good of a job. Seasonic and EVGA are such examples. Especially in the lower end.

OP, Corsair AX/HX/RMX is looked upon kindly,

AX is Titanium, Gold and Platinum are EOL.

HX is also Platinum only and rahter pricy because of that.

So that leaves the RMx...

SeaSonic G-Series is looked upon kindly but some have ketchup cables, 

a) Ancient, released in 2013 IIRC

b) loud as hell at around 300W Load or so (and with loud I mean 2000rpm)

c) The "Ketchup and Mustard" Cable are According to ATX Spec, but no, it doesn't. It came with black Flat Ribbon Cables.

d) there are better things for the money that aren't as unbearable loud for higher end machines...

eVGA can also be okay but only really for the higher end units, lower end ones are sub-standard.

and even the Higher End are "sub-standard", compared to what other companys do.

Where's the point in getting an EVGA when its just a random 08/15 Standard unit without anything they do to make it their own?!

I doubt EVGA does more than Badge Engineering because that's how it looks for people that are interested in PSU. That they just take some random unit and put their label on it and call it a day. Oh and some Marketing Bullshit here and there...

don't even look at corsair VS/CX unless you love disappointment.

Ironically those are better than the Seasonic you threw at the Wall, see above...

Even the VS is better than the S12II-Bronze up to 620W and the CX slaps it left and right...

TX is pushing it but might be okay - i use a couple but only in low-power applications or for machines i'm not too worried about.

Your info is obsolete....

TX is pretty good and better than most EVGA...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

so you're saying there's a chance i can pop my project machine - nice

Did you buy it post january 2018?

Then maybe, unlikely tho.

ok y'all vanquished me, here is your victory cookie. good golly gosh what an evil person i am. i will surely go to church and repent for my sins. smh.

feel free to report all my posts if it makes you proud

Oh, no problem. This happens everytime someone who doesnt know too much PSU stuff recommends something "meh" and one of the PSU people spot it.

Though allways happy to teach a thing or two, but lets just say its mostly cringe every time a youtuber picks a PSU for a build. 

11 minutes ago, starcoaster said:

ok y'all vanquished me, here is your victory cookie. good golly gosh what an evil person i am. i will surely go to church and repent for my sins. smh.

feel free to report all my posts if it makes you proud

look... no reason to attack me or anyone here

we just try to provide you with current info, so you can use that around here

at least, that's my intention

@LukeSavenije @starcoaster

UPDATE:

I purchased a new GPU (Gtx 770) plugged everything in and prayed to God for a while then turned on my pc and everything seems to be working fine. I stress tested the GPU, nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, MarilynKira said:

Thanks for your help.

no psu swap? you'll have to pray then...