DIY "waterproofing" a phone?

Time Lemon

I recently have gotten the idea to attempt to make my Pocophone water-resistant, and am wondering if it is even possible. My thoughts would be to attempt to put some kind of nonconductive water-resistant rubber or glue to put around the charging port, headphone jack, and any other potential entrances. 

So I guess my question is if anyone knows if there is any material under at least $30 CAD that would be able to follow those requirements. I don't really have much knowledge of glues or tapes, but I think this would make an interesting and hopefully easy project.

I remember a few years back I heard a word about a place in NYC that would do that for you, but I doubt anyway you'd get anything better than splash resistant.

Look, I have a waterproof phone. It's cool, but I'd never really test it or use it. Just not worth.

(although watching linus in the shower is invigorating for sure)

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

8 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I remember a few years back I heard a word about a place in NYC that would do that for you, but I doubt anyway you'd get anything better than splash resistant.

Look, I have a waterproof phone. It's cool, but I'd never really test it or use it. Just not worth.

I would have to disagree, I shower with my phone pretty frequently as well. I wouldn’t get any phone without water resistance.

17 minutes ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

I have the Iphone 8 and I use it in my pool and hottub daily. Never had issues with it breaking due to water. but if its a DIY lol dont trust that. Id get a phone with water resistance over a phone that does not have it. Using it in the shower too is a thing I do frequently. and you know accidents happen better to be safe.  

My Xperia XZ gets splashed regularly, and on the odd occasion I use it to take underwater videos. My last three phones have been Sony, they made waterproofing standard way before anyone else. And I'm glad others are catching on because I don't think I'd have a phone without it now

...that said...this is a bad idea. Just don't.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

i had one of those xperia whatever huge ones back in 2014-16 i went diving with it quite regularly so it can probably be done but how i have no idea most likely you will break it 

On 6/3/2019 at 8:04 PM, Daniel Z. said:

I would have to disagree, I shower with my phone pretty frequently as well. I wouldn’t get any phone without water resistance.

Like... you use it in the shower? You have a piece of clothing on that features a pocket in the shower? Or you just hold it?

If it's the latter two, I don't find a reason over just putting it on the side, on let's say the counter, and if it's the former, how do you prevent the mineral filled liquid that is Metro Vancouver water from not conducting the touchscreen?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, LienusLateTips said:

Like... you use it in the shower? You have a piece of clothing on that features a pocket in the shower? Or you just hold it?

If it's the latter two, I don't find a reason over just putting it on the side, on let's say the counter, and if it's the former, how do you prevent the mineral filled liquid that is Metro Vancouver water from not conducting the touchscreen?

No I have like a rack I guess inside. Metro Vancouver water isn’t bad enough to conduct electricity that much, but I do miss Abbotsford water a lot. I have washed my phone a few times, it’s perfectly fine after.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:38 PM, Daniel Z. said:

No I have like a rack I guess inside. Metro Vancouver water isn’t bad enough to conduct electricity that much, but I do miss Abbotsford water a lot. I have washed my phone a few times, it’s perfectly fine after.

Don't you live in South Surrey, which is connected to White Rock Water District and not Metro Vancouver Water District? Metro Vancouver water is conductive... REALLY conductive.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Don't you live in South Surrey, which is connected to White Rock Water District and not Metro Vancouver Water District? Metro Vancouver water is conductive... REALLY conductive.

No, south surrey uses metro Vancouver water. White rock water is pretty awful, it’s literally well water or something 

3 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

No, south surrey uses metro Vancouver water. White rock water is pretty awful, it’s literally well water or something 

Must be a Richmond thing then, because a drop of my tap water on my phone screen will make the phone think I'm touching everywhere, and eventually end me up on a Russian dating site after I click about a million different ads.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

2 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

Must be a Richmond thing then, because a drop of my tap water on my phone screen will make the phone think I'm touching everywhere, and eventually end me up on a Russian dating site after I click about a million different ads.

Here it’s fine until you get a lot of water on the screen. Back in Abbotsford my phone screen worked almost perfectly with water on it.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Here it’s fine until you get a lot of water on the screen. Back in Abbotsford my phone screen worked almost perfectly with water on it.

Different source. You lived near Clearbrook, right? That was well water.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop