What Wattage do I Need for Ryzen 3700x and GTX 1080 Ti?

avrona

What wattage psu should I get for a Ryzen 3700x, a GTX 1080 Ti, 2 hard drives, 1 SATA cable SSD, 1 optical drive, 2x8gb ddr4 RAM sticks, and a Sound Blaster Z sound card? Though I am already running an fx-8350 with that same graphics card, storage and sound card with a 550w psu and that doesn't seem to have any issues, yet I've seen some people suggest I need a 650w instead, even though ryzen will use far less power than my current processor.

get a 550W its mostly what the 1080Ti need anyway but for 7 3700X idk, havent been release anyway.

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

Ryzen 3700x, a GTX 1080 Ti

Hard to say since there aren't any power consumption figures for Ryzen 3700x yet. Will have to wait until next month when reviews come out and they test for it. Assuming it will be similar to the 2700x, then probably around 100w for the CPU.

Depending on the model of 1080Ti and overclocking, probably looking at around 250-300w.

5 minutes ago, avrona said:

Though I am already running an fx-8350 with that same graphics card, storage and sound card with a 550w psu and that doesn't seem to have any issues

550w PSU should be adequate. Which model PSU do you currently have? If it's an older model that you got back around 2012 when the FX-8350 was released then you might want to replace it with something newer anyway.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Impossible to answer since Ryzen 3000 isn't released yet. 

It is stated in the announcement, so you won't have to speculate.

Image result for ryzen 3700x

36 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

a good 550 watt should be more than sufficient. 

Yes, like most of non-oc single GPU setup.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, SupaKomputa said:

Yes, like most of non-oc single GPU setup.

you can get away with overclocking aswell. offcourse not extreme overclocking, but any decent overclock should be fine. 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Hard to say since there aren't any power consumption figures for Ryzen 3700x yet. Will have to wait until next month when reviews come out and they test for it. Assuming it will be similar to the 2700x, then probably around 100w for the CPU.

Depending on the model of 1080Ti and overclocking, probably looking at around 250-300w.

550w PSU should be adequate. Which model PSU do you currently have? If it's an older model that you got back around 2012 when the FX-8350 was released then you might want to replace it with something newer anyway.

The GPU is a non-OCd Aorus 1080 Ti, and my psu is an XFX TS550 which I originally got with this pre built in 2013. Main reason I want to upgrade it is it doesn't have the 2 8 pins the 1080 to use, which from I head can be bad, though it's been running fine like that since October.

1 minute ago, avrona said:

and my psu is an XFX TS550 which I originally got with this pre built in 2013. Main reason I want to upgrade it is it doesn't have the 2 8 pins the 1080 to use

The XFX TS550 has 2x6+2 PCIe connectors from what I can see? http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/ts-series-bronze-full-wired/ts-series-550w-psu-p1-550s-gren

You've only had a single PCIe connector plugged in to the graphics card? 

Anyway it appears to be Seasonic S12ii platform so yeah, should be replaced.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

The XFX TS550 has 2x6+2 PCIe connectors from what I can see? http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/ts-series-bronze-full-wired/ts-series-550w-psu-p1-550s-gren

The one I have only has one 6+2 so that's what I used. 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

There's a TS Bronze, and a TS Gold. One is an S12II, the other is a S12G.

That being said, I'd swap it anyway.

With recent release info the ryzen 3700x I'll have a tdp 65watts. ( from amd.com) this is 40w less then last gen 2700x, however if you also intend on getting an x570 board to pair with the cpu as well as utalize pcie 4.0 ssd's I'd personally go for a 600-650 psu. But all in all 550 especially a higher end gold rated should suffice if you dont intend to do major Overclocking

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
    Corsair pro rgb 16gb 3400 oc stock timings
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
    My digital ssd 250gb pro m.2 (boot) 2tb berracuda 7200rpm +Toshiba x300 4gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

1 minute ago, Gilgam3s1 said:

With recent release info the ryzen 3700x I'll have a tdp 65watts. ( from amd.com) this is 40w less then last gen 2700x, however if you also intend on getting an x570 board to pair with the cpu as well as utalize pcie 4.0 ssd's I'd personally go for a 600-650 psu. But all in all 550 especially a higher end gold rated should suffice if you dont intend to do major Overclocking

I was planning on going for a CX550, and I am also planning to get a PCIE 4.0 NVME and an X570, and I'm not planning to OC anything, so will it be a decent PSU for all of that then?

5 hours ago, avrona said:

I was planning on going for a CX550, and I am also planning to get a PCIE 4.0 NVME and an X570, and I'm not planning to OC anything, so will it be a decent PSU for all of that then?

In theory, on paper using some rudementory math you'd be around maybe 440-450 watts buts that's slapping an unknown watt base for the sound card and unknown cpu cooler assuming it comes with one and assuming you use that. Point is ur current psu should hold but adding anything else id consider a slight bump in psu power. Plus you could do some slight ocing and get some extra perf. Online watt calculators tend to be quite varied. Well they don't seem to work for me anyway xD

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
    My digital ssd 250gb pro m.2 (boot) 2tb berracuda 7200rpm +Toshiba x300 4gb 7200rpm
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

Worse case try it and in the mean time try to put some extra cash away for a slightly better psu if the power deliver isn't there you can rock the old system for a little longer upgrade the psu and potentially go full ham....mmmm ham

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

So seeing how I just haven't had the money to buy anything amazing, I was going to settle for just something good or average, was looking into the CX550. However I managed to find a Be Quiet System Power 9 600W for £3 cheaper than the cheapest CX550 I could find, so that's both more wattage, more money left for the rest of the upgrade, and at least unlike my current PSU it finally has at least 2 8 pin power connectors for the GPU, which my current one is missing and is the main reason I wanted to upgrade, though I've had my GPU running with only 18 pin since October and nothing bad happen, I have been seeing many people say it's a bad idea. Also from what I've read many already existing boards have 2 EPS, you always just need one though unless you are planning on OCing or something like that, so it seems fine I bought a PSU with only 1 EPS. So did I make a good choice then?

• 2 weeks later...

If 

On 6/4/2019 at 11:04 AM, avrona said:

So seeing how I just haven't had the money to buy anything amazing, I was going to settle for just something good or average, was looking into the CX550. However I managed to find a Be Quiet System Power 9 600W for £3 cheaper than the cheapest CX550 I could find, so that's both more wattage, more money left for the rest of the upgrade, and at least unlike my current PSU it finally has at least 2 8 pin power connectors for the GPU, which my current one is missing and is the main reason I wanted to upgrade, though I've had my GPU running with only 18 pin since October and nothing bad happen, I have been seeing many people say it's a bad idea. Also from what I've read many already existing boards have 2 EPS, you always just need one though unless you are planning on OCing or something like that, so it seems fine I bought a PSU with only 1 EPS. So did I make a good choice then?

if you purchased the be quite I'd say you did fine. Like you said if you have no real intentions of ocing the cpu I think you should be A.O.K.

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750

Plus having extra headroom is never a bad thing

• CPU
    Ryzen 3700x
  • Motherboard
    Asus rog hero vii
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Radeon Vii
  • Case
    Thermaltake G21 TG
  • Storage
  • PSU
    Evga g3 750