B450 chipset with Ryzen 3000?

With all the Ryzen 3000 news lately, there's been a common thread that I've noticed... people keep saying that anything with the 300 series chipset boards and some 400 series chipset boards will never be able to handle Ryzen 3000 CPUs. Is this true? I have a B450 board with a Ryzen 5 2600x and an RTX 2060 and some time in the future, I would love to upgrade to a ryzen 7 3000 series and 2080 ti or something.

As the CPU requirements are going to increase, older motherboards for it are going to be incapable of those CPUs.

I mean imagine a B450 that was meant for at worst a Ryzen 7 2700, is going to handle a 12 core

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

No, power delivery on your B series probs don't have necessary power requirement for upcoming 3 series.

They say maybe some high end x board might have support but I think it probs won't.

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

As the CPU requirements are going to increase, older motherboards for it are going to be incapable of those CPUs.

I mean imagine a B450 that was meant for at worst a Ryzen 7 2700, is going to handle a 12 core

Yeah but AMD has been saying they wanted at least three generations of boards and CPUs compatible. They kept saying that kind of thing over and over to really instill in the fanbase that you would be able to use your... I dont know, crappy A320 motherboard with at least a 3rd gen Ryzen 3... And B450 chipsets are second only to X470 so...

if i use a baseline of 7 2700X i think it is enough for 12c but not 16c

Ryzen 3000 will likely have 4-to-16 cores, which have VASTLY differing requirements. If your board can run a 4-to-8 core ryzen today, it most likely can run a 4-to-8 core Ryzen 3000.

But a motherboard designed for a 4 core APU (like many 1st and 2nd gen boards) would likely fry with a 12 or 16 core CPU, especially OC'ed.

TLDR; Depending on the quality of your MB, it may very well run a 6 core Ryzen 3000.

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

1 minute ago, desertcomputer said:

No, power delivery on your B series probs don't have necessary power requirement.

The board I bought is one of the higher end B450 ones, made for overclocking, so I'm hoping that if I DON'T overclock 3rd gen chips, it might actually work.

Just now, Aaralli said:

The board I bought is one of the higher end B450 ones, made for overclocking,

Well which model is it?

Main rig: i7 8086K // EVGA Z370 Micro // 16GB Gskill TridentZ 3200Mhz CL14 // Sapphire Pulse RX 7800XT// a variety of noctua cooling // Corsair RM750x v2 //  Fractal Meshify C

Secondary rig: R5 3600 // MSI B450i Gaming Plus // 16GB Gskill FlareX 3200CL14 // MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X // Cooler Master V650 // Fractal Meshify C

Audio setup: Audient iD4 // Adam A7X // Sennheiser HD 650 // Sennheiser HD 25-II // Audio Technica M50x // Sennheiser Momentum 4

1 minute ago, Aaralli said:

The board I bought is one of the higher end B450 ones, made for overclocking, so I'm hoping that if I DON'T overclock 3rd gen chips, it might actually work.

It really depends on your motherboard manufacturer pushing a BIOS which they probs won't do.

They are business, so it better to sell new motherboard than supporting past boards.

Magical Pineapples

Oh then you might get over it with the lowest tier 8 core ryzen

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

if i use a baseline of 7 2700X i think it is enough for 12c but not 16c

1 minute ago, chckovsky said:

Ryzen 3000 will likely have 4-to-16 cores, which have VASTLY differing requirements. If your board can run a 4-to-8 core ryzen today, it most likely can run a 4-to-8 core Ryzen 3000.

But a motherboard designed for a 4 core APU (like many 1st and 2nd gen boards) would likely fry with a 12 or 16 core CPU, especially OC'ed.

TLDR; Depending on the quality of your MB, it may very well run a 6 core Ryzen 3000.

I was considering getting a Ryzen 7 3700x or 3800x when 4th gen chips are about to release. The 3rd gen will go on sale, and I'll be happy with the price of that. I'll also probably get am Nvidia RTX 2080 to go along with it. Maybe something newer, who knows?

2 minutes ago, chckovsky said:

Well which model is it?

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. It's not THE highest end B450 board, but I think its second on the list, at least for ones from MSI.

3 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

Yeah but AMD has been saying they wanted at least three generations of boards and CPUs compatible. They kept saying that kind of thing over and over to really instill in the fanbase that you would be able to use your... I dont know, crappy A320 motherboard with at least a 3rd gen Ryzen 3... And B450 chipsets are second only to X470 so...

They have been stating those things that it became the reason to buy them.

Yea... Now they are inflicting those statements... At least if those CPUs won't run old motherboards crazy

I guess a A320 could handle their lowest 6 core SKU?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

They have been stating those things that it became the reason to buy them.

Yea... Now they are inflicting those statements... At least if those CPUs won't run old motherboards crazy

I guess a A320 could handle their lowest 6 core SKU?

I'm hoping they live up to that promise. I told a friend of mine to invest in AMD stock because of the promising future I'm thinking AMD has... ?

I'm hoping they live up to that promise. I told a friend of mine to invest in AMD stock because of the promising future I'm thinking AMD has... ?

AMD : "We'll support AM4 socket for at least until 2020"

Shareholders : "I see this as an absolute win!"

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

11 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. It's not THE highest end B450 board, but I think its second on the list, at least for ones from MSI.

I think it have 8 phase that is a doubler IDK about the chokes tbh, yeah that is decent enough for Ryzen 3000 if I use a baseline of 7 2700X

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

AMD : "We'll support AM4 socket for at least until 2020"

Shareholders : "I see this as an absolute win!"

I mean, if you look at AMD's history, the stock price has increased 10x since 2014, and the last time it was this high, they has released the very first 1 ghz processor in the world! RYZEN has really made AMD great again.

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

I think it have 8 phase that is a doubler IDK about the chokes tbh, yeah that is decent enough for Ryzen 3000 if I use a baseline of 7 2700X

You think I could get a ryzen 7 3800x in there? I dont really care about the 12 core ryzen 9 for my use-case, which is pretty much super high fps 1080p gaming...

Just now, Aaralli said:

You think I could get a ryzen 7 3800x in there? I dont really care about the 12 core ryzen 9 for my use-case, which is pretty much super high fps 1080p gaming...

Yes no reason not to I mean the tdp isn't that much higher so vrms might be OK but for gen PCie 4 support I doubt it. 

32 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

29 minutes ago, desertcomputer said:

No, power delivery on your B series probs don't have necessary power requirement for upcoming 3 series.

They say maybe some high end x board might have support but I think it probs won't.

The 3900X and 2700X is 105W. Boards such as the B450M MORTAR, B450 TOMAHAWK and B450 GAMING PRO CARBON can probably push 100-150W easily. What makes you think it's not able to handle it? (especially since these boards can handle a 2700X overclocked)

Also, nearly every B450 and B350 board has gotten BIOS updates for Ryzen 3000

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

8 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

I mean, if you look at AMD's history, the stock price has increased 10x since 2014, and the last time it was this high, they has released the very first 1 ghz processor in the world! RYZEN has really made AMD great again.

Agreed, they haven't let us down since 1st Ryzen

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Agreed, they haven't let us down since 1st Ryzen

AMD and Ubisoft went through the exact same thing. In 2012 AMD released the FX-8320 or... I don't remember the exact number. 8330? Anyway, it was the most disappointing CPU ever for AMD fans, then they released the FX-8350 the next year and it was actually GOOD but it was too late. AMD's reputation was ruined. Ubisoft released Assassin's Creed Unity, with game-breaking glitches and bugs and problems, and everyone gave it bad reviews. When they released AC Syndicate the next year, a significantly improved and better game, sales were WAYYY down because of Unity. I think tech community members are way too hard on the companies they like. Mistakes are what causes huge innovations to happen.

If AMD says it is compatible and the MB updates the bios and also says it's compatible then it will work, obviously it won't overclock well with most older boards, but that doesn't mean it won't work at stock.

Have no idea why so many people imply that it won't work at all or that it would cause some serious problem even at stock. That is not to say that you should put a 12 or 16 core cpu in a $50 b450 motherboard and expect to work perfectly or to be able to overclock it, but it also doesn't mean it wouldn't work at all particularly when at stock and with possibly lower boost clocks because of power delivery limitations.

1 hour ago, desertcomputer said:

Source?

6/8 core Zen 2 CPUS seem to have same power draw as Zen/Zen+, so B series motherboards should be able to handle same tier CPUs – if your mobo can handle overclocked 2700x, it should be able to handle 3700x

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

I say wait for a possible bios revision, who knows it may work :D