Transferring a large video file from my Macbook to my PC

Go to solution Solved by emosun,

reformat the usb drive to ntfs

Hi, I feel like this is the stupidest problem but I'm really at my wit's end trying to get it fixed.

Essentially all of my files are divided between the main desktop PC I built a few years ago with a massive HDD and a 128 GB Macbook that I use for school. During breaks, I typically transfer all my large unused files from my Macbook to my desktop and save everything in Google Drive in case I need to access anything during school. Last semester I recorded an hour long video of a conference I had using Quicktime on my Mac. I have it saved as a .MOV and .mp4 file, and altogether it takes up more than 10 GB on my measly 128 GB Macbook. I compressed the .mp4 file and it still takes up around 5 GB. I tried to copy the zip file over to a 16 GB flash drive so I could transfer it to my desktop, but the file was "too big to be transferred through that format." I then uploaded it to Google Drive, but when I tried to open the compressed file it appeared corrupted (Error 0xc10100be). I tried unzipping and opening the file on my Mac, which worked out fine. I then uploaded the zip file to Dropbox and tried to download it from there, but it showed the same error with Windows' default player. Opening in Quicktime and VLC also did not work. Uploading the file to Google Drive and Dropbox took over 2 hours each so I really don't want to proceed with reuploading without a solution in sight. I'm wondering if this could all be due to some compatibility issue since the video was made using Quicktime on a Mac. At the end of the day I just want this stupid video file moved from one computer to another. Any help would be appreciated!

You can try uploading it to YouTube and making it private/unlisted and download it from your PC. (YouTube compresses videos so becareful it might make it even worse)

If you want it to be smaller using Handbrake to compress it.

Try to keep the original 10GB file safe if anything goes wrong, maybe upload that to Google Drive or Dropbox.

19 hours ago, emosun said:

reformat the usb drive to ntfs

Worked like a charm, thank you!