why does my whole house electric TRIP when i turn socket on upstairs wtf????

WolfLoverPro

so my bedroom has my

pc

monitor

speakers

thats abut it

some times not all but idk 2 times in a row today

i turn off my sockets at night or whenever i go out and sometimes not everytime the WHOLE house goes when iswitch it on wtf???

is it because its too much coming on at once like the pc al everything it just trips ? although sometimes  i turn my pc off by the psu switch so i dont see how it would be that either

PSU might be faulty or drawing too much power. Also, you may be drawing too much current at once which may lead to it tripping sometimes if heavy load appliances swich on. Also, which type of breaker is it ? RCD breakers trip if there is a ground fault and other breakers trip from too much power draw

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

14 hours ago, WolfLoverPro said:

so my bedroom has my

pc

monitor

speakers

thats abut it

some times not all but idk 2 times in a row today

i turn off my sockets at night or whenever i go out and sometimes not everytime the WHOLE house goes when iswitch it on wtf???

is it because its too much coming on at once like the pc al everything it just trips ? although sometimes  i turn my pc off by the psu switch so i dont see how it would be that either

You're from the UK, right? If I recall, most houses in the UK operate under a single circuit for basically everything. So it's probably not actually the stuff in your room (At least, not unless something is faulty, like your PSU or the speakers) - but rather, it could be that something elsewhere in the house was drawing a lot of power at the time you turned stuff back on.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You're from the UK, right? If I recall, most houses in the UK operate under a single circuit for basically everything. So it's probably not actually the stuff in your room (At least, not unless something is faulty, like your PSU or the speakers) - but rather, it could be that something elsewhere in the house was drawing a lot of power at the time you turned stuff back on.

Can confirm, I used to own a microwave but as it kept tripping the circuit, family decided to understandably ditch it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

5 minutes ago, seoz said:

Can confirm, I used to own a microwave but as it kept tripping the circuit, family decided to understandably ditch it.

One of the downsides of post WW2 construction in the UK. I believe it’s a 30 or 32 amp 220V circuit. That’s around 6500-7000 watts. 

Sounds like a lot. 

But consider a North American “lowly” 120V system might have 6-10 circuits (or more). 6 120V circuits is 9000W. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You're right, but it depends on when the house was built (if it was built pre-WW2 it depends on when it got access to electricity).

Since most British houses were built post-WW2 they do operate under a single circuit.

the socket you are using is hooked up to a fuse in the electircal panel that trips because you are drawing to much from it ? that happened when i had some beefy amps with no soft start 

There are devices that draw large amounts of current when being turned on (meaning much larger than their rated amount of current). When you turn on a socket or power bar or anything with many devices connected to it at once, this might lead to a short but quite high spike in current. I don't know what type of breaker you have installed at your home, but this short spike of current can be enough to trip it.
One quick solution would be not to power up too many devices at exactly the same time. In the long run, you could also change the breaker and select one with the same rating that allows for higher current spikes, but this will most certainly have to be decided and carried out by a qualified electrician.

By the way, I would recommend not keeping the PSU switch on off because that also kills the PSU's standby voltage which might result in the CMOS battery getting drained too quickly.

On 5/30/2019 at 12:15 PM, greenhorn said:

There are devices that draw large amounts of current when being turned on (meaning much larger than their rated amount of current). When you turn on a socket or power bar or anything with many devices connected to it at once, this might lead to a short but quite high spike in current. I don't know what type of breaker you have installed at your home, but this short spike of current can be enough to trip it.
One quick solution would be not to power up too many devices at exactly the same time. In the long run, you could also change the breaker and select one with the same rating that allows for higher current spikes, but this will most certainly have to be decided and carried out by a qualified electrician.

By the way, I would recommend not keeping the PSU switch on off because that also kills the PSU's standby voltage which might result in the CMOS battery getting drained too quickly.

Uhhh I think that was the issue ...... I had it turned on and it kept tripping now that it’s off it’s not lol 

i always thrn off  plug sockets though even if I’m going to bed I never leave the sockets on so