Java programming

pwnage630

Hi I wanted to start to learn how to code Java because I want to see if I can make a simple game for myself. I have no programming experience in Java or any other language so I wanted to see if anyone knew any resources online, books, videos, etc. Thank you

A  great website to learn how to code for the web is CodeCademy and for other Languages i use Programmr

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Hi I wanted to start to learn how to code Java because I want to see if I can make a simple game for myself. I have no programming experience in Java or any other language so I wanted to see if anyone knew any resources online, books, videos, etc. Thank you

There are some tutorials at Oracle's website, which seem to be overlooked by many: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html

I personally just learned from a book though, prefer them to online resources.

Which book did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Well, I'm Finnish, so I used this. Don't really know that many ones that would be in English though.

Well, I'm Finnish, so I used this. Don't really know that many ones that would be in English though.

Are there any other books that you know of that are in English? 

Long Story short, don't use Java for 3D game or a DnD like game.

Why not?  What should I use

Minecraft and Runescape used Java and the reason they run poorly is because of that, you're better off using something else, but what I do not know I'm wondering that myself.

(You can try Unity if you want but it's an engine and not a IDE)

Dnd like game, I tried to make that for my final project in CÉGEP (aka college) with another guy, let just say it was a big fail and we had to restart a new project 3 or 4 weeks before the dead line.

I can't really name any that I know are beginner friendly.

Java isn't that well optimized, so when comparing performance, you'll get better results with, say C++.

If you're only looking to make games, I wouldn't perhaps go with Java, but C-something instead. Maybe C++ or C#.

That said, if you want to make some programs with, say a GUI, quite easily, I'd say Java is the tool for that. And it might also be a little bit more beginner-friendly than C.

I can't really name any that I know are beginner friendly.

Java isn't that well optimized, so when comparing performance, you'll get better results with, say C++.

If you're only looking to make games, I wouldn't perhaps go with Java, but C-something instead. Maybe C++ or C#.

That said, if you want to make some programs with, say a GUI, quite easily, I'd say Java is the tool for that. And it might also be a little bit more beginner-friendly than C.

Thank you

For Java I would totally recommend signing up at this community: www.powerbot.org

Go write a few scripts with the help of the community - possibly make some money - and you'll understand Java in no time!

This is bullshit.

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

-Mewtwo

Minecraft and Runescape used Java and the reason they run poorly is because of that, you're better off using something else, but what I do not know I'm wondering that myself.

You are both absolutely wrong, once compiled Java boasts about 98% of the speed of C and C++.

This is bullshit.

Entirely true, but could have been worded nicer...  :D

What no one has seemed to point out here is that you should definitely aspire to learn OpenGL if you want to make 3D games.  Both Java and C++ support OpenGL and those would be my suggestions as languages to learn.  If you decide to go the C++ rout, you should start off by learning C and then move on to C++.  All C code is valid C++ code and you can actually think of C++ as just an extension to C.  If you do not already know at least a little bit about programming building a game from the ground up is pretty far off for you.  Make sure you get the basics down first so you are not confused by trivial problems when the time comes for you to actually make your game.

Personally, I would suggest learning C, then C++, and then finally OpenGL for C++.

You are both absolutely wrong, once compiled Java boasts about 98% of the speed of C and C++.

Weird, all of my teacher said it was a pain to work with for 3D and the game I saw prove it was pretty poor graphic wise.

Edit: Also just remembered something, looked at a the book of a friend once (+500 page of Java), it had about everything except code for 3D.

A good book is Ivor Horton's beginner java.  You can find a pdf of it searching google.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

Weird, all of my teacher said it was a pain to work with for 3D and the game I saw prove it was pretty poor graphic wise.

Edit: Also just remembered something, looked at a the book of a friend once (+500 page of Java), it had about everything except code for 3D.

Well, Minecraft is 3D and entirely written in Java; so I'mnot entirely sure what your point is here...

I develop Java, C, and C++ code... These languages are all static type languages and have comparable performance levels...

Languages that do not compare to Java, C, and C++ in performance are dynamic style languages like python and perl...

Hope this clears a bit up...

My suggestion would be to try to learn a bit about Java programming first.  You can use the suggestion of code academy or oracles site....once you have at least enough knowledge to be able to read and understand the code (not necessarily writing all of it), just find a small example of a game (2d, not 3d) in java....pick a simple game like snake ( Or you can try something like robocode (http://robocode.sourceforge.net/) which allows you to build robots that fight each other.  That is really the best way to learn imo.

I would not recommend starting learning with C or C++ though, or 3d games.  The reason for no C or C++ is there are more subtle things to consider like memory management, and due to the way it was made you would likely have more difficultly learning how to do graphics in C or C++ (especially if it means learning OpenGL or Directx, although things such as Ogre3d can make it a lot easier...no need to learn how to code the graphics, it is done for you).  Once you have learned java though and make a few side scrollers or 2d games, then I would recommend learning C/C++.  The reason to avoid 3D games is merely the fact that 3D environments are a lot more complex...you have more things to consider (and a lot more tools needed).

If I might recommend though, C# is a fairly good language as well (and it is more similar to C/C++ than java).  I find C# to be a bit speedier than Java as well (although that is because I was making applications that took up a lot of processing time, which games really don't)

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

(You can try Unity if you want but it's an engine and not a IDE)

Dnd like game, I tried to make that for my final project in CÉGEP (aka college) with another guy, let just say it was a big fail and we had to restart a new project 3 or 4 weeks before the dead line.

Both of you have no idea what you're on about. Java is perfectly capable of making small games and with JIT Java can actually outperform C++. There is a lack of pre-made game libraries for Java, but that's about the only thing stopping you.

I think the funniest thing about this is that you recommended C# which is another managed language just like Java and will provide very similar performance to Java. Just because it has C in it doesn't mean it performs anything like C or C++.

Both of you have no idea what you're on about. Java is perfectly capable of making small games and with JIT Java can actually outperform C++. There is a lack of pre-made game libraries for Java, but that's about the only thing stopping you.

I case it wasn't clear, 2D game are fine for Java, 3D games are a bad idea.

3D in Java is perfectly fine, the parts that do all the hard work are on the gpu same as a 2D game.

Minecraft's fine.

3D in Java is perfectly fine, the parts that do all the hard work are on the gpu same as a 2D game.

If you were to prove me that Java is fine for 3D game by providing example then I would see your point but the only example I have are Runescape which stop using it and Minecraft where it's not a technically impressive game. (It's a pretty good game even when it was only develop by one person but it's not technically impressive)

Otherwise it's a random guy on the web that I have no idea of what his background is versu the multitude of teacher that told me "don't even touch it use something else".

if u have never saw again java then say bye bye to your dreams.its pretty difficult to programm in java even thought to c and c++