What are the best entry level record players?

Kokomo

Hi

i am looking to get into vinyl and I was wondering what are the best record players under £250 and which speakers I should go for around the same budget. I don’t really know what I’m looking for so any help is appreciated.

thanks 

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

I will second the flea market/Craigslist/eBay idea. A lot of bargins can be had, especially if you're capable of repairing and replacing parts. 

If you're adamant about getting something new, I can recommend the Rega Planar 1. That should fit your budget. 

The Fluance RT81 should also fit your price bracket, and it's save you on a pre-amp as well. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

36 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Go to your local flea market and pick up any old turntable/stereo/speaker combo. Should't cost more than 50-100 quid. (at least in my area those are the going prices)

For a first player, learning off the old stuff and how to plug it all in, fine tune it, replace cartridges, could be a fun experience.

3 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I will second the flea market/Craigslist/eBay idea. A lot of bargins can be had, especially if you're capable of repairing and replacing parts. 

If you're adamant about getting something new, I can recommend the Rega Planar 1. That should fit your budget. 

The Fluance RT81 should also fit your price bracket, and it's save you on a pre-amp as well. 

Thanks both for the help I’m kinda new to this stuff so will have a look around.

Current rig

NZXT S340 Elite

Kraken x62

Gigabyte Aorus WIFI Pro 

32gb 3000mhz corsair Vengeance RGB PRO  

I7 9700k

Rtx 2080 asus strix

1tb samsung evo ssd

1tb wd hdd

samsung 27” 1440p 144hz monitor

Just now, Kokomo said:

Thanks both for the help I’m kinda new to this stuff so will have a look around.

If you're gonna look for used gear online, then i can recommend looking up the models on Vinyl Engine. They're a great resource for finding technical information, as well as potential problems, with most turntables. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

1 hour ago, Kokomo said:

Hi

i am looking to get into vinyl and I was wondering what are the best record players under £250 and which speakers I should go for around the same budget. I don’t really know what I’m looking for so any help is appreciated.

thanks 

If you want new, look at these:

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-primary-e-black.html

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/audio-technica-atlp30-black.html

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/sony-pslx310bt.html

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-essential-3-blk.html

Out of all of these, i would go for the essential 3, its a no thrills turntable just focusing on the sound, the sony and audio technica could be easier to a newbie due to the built in phono preamp. I've listened to both pro-ject turntables and the audio technica one in my local richersounds (plymouth, the guys in there are lovely.) and the audio technica is more convenient, but the project's sound sweeter if you will. for speaker's i would have a look at q acoustics or Tibo.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)