Fan Hub/Controller For Water Pumps (Emphasis on Plural)

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
36 minutes ago, Daharen said:

As a side note would two Laing D5 Plus pumps outperform four Laing DDC-1T Plus pumps in total flow rate?

What are you planning that will require 2 or more pumps in series, I'm assuming this is due to a requirement for head pressure? 

To answer the question you can use a power hub to have a singular PWM control line come in a group control all your pumps so they run at the same speed. Something like this from Swiftech will work well.

http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

As for pump option if you just require a large amount of head pressure I'd suggest to just get one of these as it will have a substantial performance over combination of DDC's or D5's.

https://koolance.com/pump-g-1-4-bsp-pmp-600

So my system will be running 4 serial water pumps. My issue is not looking to control the pump speed, I plan on running them all at 100%, my issue is I don't have 4 terminals on my motherboard for pumps, and since I plan on running them all the same speed anyway, I would really prefer NOT running them to multiple terminals. Literally every post I've seen on this topic is for people seeking to PWM control the rates of their SINGLE pump with a fan controller, I don't care about that.

I just want to know if I can successfully hook up 4 Laing DDC-1T Plus pumps to a single fan controller, splitter, or hub, and run them all at 100% without serious issues, and if so a reccomendation for a hub, controller, or splitter that's within spec would be nice. Thanks.

CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, 1.37 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F9, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 2666 Mhz 12-16-16-30, Latency 38.5ns GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2160 Mhz Clock & 7800 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, UPS | CyberPower SineWave 2000VA/1540W, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 1 x 480x60mm , 1 x 360x60mm, 2 x 240x60mm, 1 x 120x30mm rads, 12 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G915 Wireless (Linear), Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

As a side note would two Laing D5 Plus pumps outperform four Laing DDC-1T Plus pumps in total flow rate?

CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, 1.37 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F9, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 2666 Mhz 12-16-16-30, Latency 38.5ns GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2160 Mhz Clock & 7800 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, UPS | CyberPower SineWave 2000VA/1540W, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 1 x 480x60mm , 1 x 360x60mm, 2 x 240x60mm, 1 x 120x30mm rads, 12 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G915 Wireless (Linear), Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

36 minutes ago, Daharen said:

What are you planning that will require 2 or more pumps in series, I'm assuming this is due to a requirement for head pressure? 

To answer the question you can use a power hub to have a singular PWM control line come in a group control all your pumps so they run at the same speed. Something like this from Swiftech will work well.

As for pump option if you just require a large amount of head pressure I'd suggest to just get one of these as it will have a substantial performance over combination of DDC's or D5's.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

That does look good. Only issues I see with it is the way my case is laid out, and the size of my GPU's even though the case is massive, finding room for another reservoir might be difficult. In addition, while this definitely offer superior performance, part of the reason I'm using the set of 4 is because it will 'eventually' allow me to run two separate loops in parallel without risk of either one failing (One loop may lose a single pump, but it will only kill performance not result in total failure).

Eventually the plan is to run a set of smart valves that switch within the chassis, when it switches into performance mode the loop switches from only using fans and radiators, to closing off the fans and radiators from the components, and opening another loop connected to a set of TEC's hot side on the radiator loop, cool side on the component loop. Relative to all the other parts the reservoir's are cheap, and I was just going to switch out for two Dual DDC Bay reservoirs when I made the TEC setup, for now I'm using an Alphacool Quad Laing DDC Resevoir. 

Still... Since that project is a ways down the road (On account of being totally unnecessary and impractical, and just a fun idea for when I have money to splurge), I may just get the components for it later and stick with the pump you suggested for now, as it will offer better performance in my current single loop design, and for a lot less money... 

In any case thanks for the help =). 

Oh and it does have to do with pressure, at present my loop contains my CPU, GPU, 5 Radiators, RAM, and PCIE SSD. Eventually 2 more radiators will be added, and another GPU, as well as possibly some VRM blocks ('So far' my VRMs aren't overheating, but I'm pushing into upper 50 c's as my cooling gives me more head room, and the controllers on my motherboard are beginning to feel the pressure of managing all my components being overclocked and utilized frequently simultaneously). Trying to push all my components into the 99th percentile or more with 27/7 stabile use, pretty close so far, but the 2080 ti is particularly competitive, so I need a bit more cooling to squeeze that last bit of performance out of her. 

One D5 is sufficient for a simple loop with 3 waterblocks and N radiators (typically radiators do not count towards the resistance). Just use thw SATA power and no pwm controller. Most recent pumps.from EK will run at 100% without a PWM signal.

58 minutes ago, Daharen said:

Oh and it does have to do with pressure, at present my loop contains my CPU, GPU, 5 Radiators, RAM, and PCIE SSD. Eventually 2 more radiators will be added, and another GPU, as well as possibly some VRM blocks ('So far' my VRMs aren't overheating, but I'm pushing into upper 50 c's as my cooling gives me more head room, and the controllers on my motherboard are beginning to feel the pressure of managing all my components being overclocked and utilized frequently simultaneously). Trying to push all my components into the 99th percentile or more with 27/7 stabile use, pretty close so far, but the 2080 ti is particularly competitive, so I need a bit more cooling to squeeze that last bit of performance out of her. 

As said with 3-4 blocks a single D5 is still sufficient, radiators give very little resistance other than frictional loss which is nothing in comparison to a block. Dual D5 would be a guaranteed to be fine. 

For the parallel loop idea that is really isn't necessary for reliability a dual pump in series will provide you that backup in case one was to fail given that a single pump can handle the whole loop.