Just need some advice.

So. i have to admit I'm newish to code with the exception being arduino. I've never worked with a game engine but am interested to learn. A few friends and I are going to create a game that we hope will be revolutionary although we don't have the experience to know how to proceed. Me and my bois have certain things we do well (ie i do texturing well, my best mate does ai well etc.), we are going to learn the things we require on the coding side with the occasional leaning on here and reddit. My question is strange but i hope its understandable. 

The game will be as such:

The building of Minecraft (in a way where there are no massive limitations such as with Rust where its limited to certain positions and locations.) (ill elaborate if its needed this was a bad way of wording it but Im having trouble working this)

The shooting mechanics and hitreg of CSGO

Decent graphics and randomly generated worlds WITH limitations (ie an impassable sea or invisible wall,

WITH biomes AND day/night cycles (because i'm a baller)

I was recommended Unity engine but wondered if there is an alternative i'm not aware of since i'm mainly worried about the engine's limitations. Graphics should be no issue, just worried about the hitreg and building mechanics.

Any thoughts?

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask i don't bite :)

Edit: imagine space engineer with CSGO shooting and nice single planet terrain.

Gaming PC:                                        Server PC:                                         Streaming PC:

Processors:        i9-10900k                                          i5-9600k                                             i7-5820k

Motherboards:    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E               ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E                ASUS ROG STRIX X99

RAM:                  Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz    Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz      Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz

GPU:                  MSI RTX 3080ti                                 Asus ROG 1050ti                               Asus ROG 1060 OC

SSD:                  Samsung 980 Pro                             Samsung 960 Evo                              Samsung 960 Evo

PSU:                  ROG Thor 1200W                             ROG Thor 850W                                 ROG Thor 850W

CPU Cooler:      Corsair hardline                                 Corsair hardline                                  Corsair hardline

Case:                 Custom                                              Custom                                               Custom

hey i am looking forward to learn java and build my own apps but i really do not know where to start ....

On 5/27/2019 at 4:23 AM, Adiityaa said:

hey i am looking forward to learn java and build my own apps but i really do not know where to start .... 

There are some great tools to help. you may wanna try code academy. Ive used it and it may help

Gaming PC:                                        Server PC:                                         Streaming PC:

Processors:        i9-10900k                                          i5-9600k                                             i7-5820k

Motherboards:    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E               ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E                ASUS ROG STRIX X99

RAM:                  Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz    Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz      Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz

GPU:                  MSI RTX 3080ti                                 Asus ROG 1050ti                               Asus ROG 1060 OC

SSD:                  Samsung 980 Pro                             Samsung 960 Evo                              Samsung 960 Evo

PSU:                  ROG Thor 1200W                             ROG Thor 850W                                 ROG Thor 850W

CPU Cooler:      Corsair hardline                                 Corsair hardline                                  Corsair hardline

Case:                 Custom                                              Custom                                               Custom

You might also take a look at Xenko. They release a free version in January and i have played with it a little bit since. Xenko for me seemed to be a better option specially because i was interested into using Substance player with it without the hassle of using UnrealScript (or c++ in the new version). It support Vulkan and DirectX12 and is quite cross platform. It support Windows, IOS, Android, Xbox which was appealing.

I don't think you'd really hit any issues with using Unity, nor any other engine.

One thing you should probably do is work out what the smallest cool thing you can make is.

Having a giant grand design of a game you'd love to play is great....but its also not usually a good place to start since its so impossibly big that its hard to start.

I.e. Minecraft, CS:GO, Space Engineers etc are all full time large scale games with tens to hundreds of people working on them, so you can imagine that replicating even a bit of what they have is very hard.

Picking out one thing and working on that is a lot more realistic, and actually will help you get something out at the end rather than getting frustrated.

I've seen many friends go into learning programming with "I want to make my dream game of this gigantic RPG system and its an MMO and its this and that and the other" and they can never get anywhere since every individual part is a whole game in of itself.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

11 minutes ago, WiiManic said:

I.e. Minecraft, CS:GO, Space Engineers etc are all full time large scale games with tens to hundreds of people working on them, so you can imagine that replicating even a bit of what they have is very hard.

Minecraft basics (world generator, add/remove cubes, day night cycle) can be replicated in about 20-30 hours with C++ and OpenGL. Creating basic of game is not as complicated as you might think. The final products, bug and special features is what eat 99% of your time.

3 hours ago, WiiManic said:

I don't think you'd really hit any issues with using Unity, nor any other engine.

One thing you should probably do is work out what the smallest cool thing you can make is.

Having a giant grand design of a game you'd love to play is great....but its also not usually a good place to start since its so impossibly big that its hard to start.

Picking out one thing and working on that is a lot more realistic, and actually will help you get something out at the end rather than getting frustrated.

I've seen many friends go into learning programming with "I want to make my dream game of this gigantic RPG system and its an MMO and its this and that and the other" and they can never get anywhere since every individual part is a whole game in of itself.

3 hours ago, Franck said:

Minecraft basics (world generator, add/remove cubes, day night cycle) can be replicated in about 20-30 hours with C++ and OpenGL. Creating basic of game is not as complicated as you might think. The final products, bug and special features is what eat 99% of your time.

This was the best piece of info and was exactly the reason i made this post. i have a friend group of 10 people all working on this. I am going to start on world gen with a mc style and skyrim textures first then add items and shooting mechanics. Thanks so much for this info. any tims / place you guy think will be easiest to start with on this project of mine?

17 minutes ago, Yacovrex said:

This was the best piece of info and was exactly the reason i made this post. i have a friend group of 10 people all working on this. I am going to start on world gen with a mc style and skyrim textures first then add items and shooting mechanics. Thanks so much for this info. any tims / place you guy think will be easiest to start with on this project of mine?

You need to split things in modules. But you will obviously have steps that cannot be worked one until other parts are completed (or at least advanced enough). Plan the module priority and use a project manager when dealing with many people.

that's a very quick basic step list of what you can do. You can technically have 1 team at the beginning and once the basics works you can easily split in 5 teams

Step 1 - You need to start with a basic world shape. Build a small cubic shape and implement basic movement and physics. Start the other steps and continue improving Step 1.

Step 2 - If you have digging feature like Minecraft but fully 3d then solid boolean operation will eat quite a lot of time. I suggest splitting part of the world in smaller solids and use an octree to do the boolean add/remove.

Step 3 - If you want to add blocks like a small buildings or whatever you need to start after world basic. First work the import function and placement. Then slowing implement snapping and such.

Step 4 - You can work on the FPS shooting aspect. You need to work your ray cast and hit box and use the world floor as a target. Soon you will have samples from the import function team (step 3) to have collision box and test hit mechanic.

Step 5 and can work a network feature and create server/client features

10 hours ago, Franck said:

coding up stuffs is quick, debugging is time-consuming. 

Sudo make me a sandwich