Xeon X5650 RAM and mobo

Hello, 

I have recently been snooping around the net and found that xeons are fairly cheap on ali express (a lot of people may know about this).

I also found a mobo here Link to mobo (the link is big)

I'm pretty sure they could potentially work together and i must find sum RAM, this brings me to my main point; were do i find ECC DDR3 (16GB) RAM for the mobo and cpu???

I would greatly appreciate it if someone that has experience with using xeons and using them in gaming can help me, as i am building this PC for gaming i need a cheap powerfull option

You won't be able to extract the Xeons potential on that motherboard.

Best looking for something from the Asus p6 range as they're pretty well known for being solid. I have an X5670 with a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and it's been really good for me also.

As far as RAM goes, try and get a board that supports triple channel config.

u see they are WAY outta the price range for me but i think i could probably roll with this on a sale or something. can you please link me to some 16GB RAM that will work well with the xeon and the mobo? If you could it would be much appreciated.

1 minute ago, Andreasp71 said:

u see they are WAY outta the price range for me but i think i could probably roll with this on a sale or something. can you please link me to some 16GB RAM that will work well with the xeon and the mobo? If you could it would be much appreciated.

I'm an idiot for not reading what i just said but I mean those types of mobos are really expensive

The motherboard you need is x58 with socket 1366 for a Xeon X5650,  not an X79/h61 Frankenstein board.

4 hours ago, Andreasp71 said:

Hello, 

I have recently been snooping around the net and found that xeons are fairly cheap on ali express (a lot of people may know about this).

I'm pretty sure they could potentially work together and i must find sum RAM, this brings me to my main point; were do i find ECC DDR3 (16GB) RAM for the mobo and cpu???

I would greatly appreciate it if someone that has experience with using xeons and using them in gaming can help me, as i am building this PC for gaming i need a cheap powerfull option

If you already have an LGA1366 Board, its a good choice.

If you have to buy an LGA1366 Board, its the worst choice.

Because the LGA1366 Boards, the good ones, are rediculously overpriced. 

You pay 50€ for the CPU and 150€ on the Motherboard - and it only comes with PCIe 2.0 often no USB 3.0...

You're better off paying 120€ for a modern CPU and 75€ for the Motherboard. You might still need a bit of DDR-4 SDRAM but it shows how awful the price is for such old Hardware.

And the earlier X58 Systems are around 11 Years old or at their 11th year.

Really, you save at most 50€ between that and a modern System. Really makes no sense.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Andreasp71 said:

That Motherboard is LGA1356, the CPU is LGA1366.

That won't work.

Especially since LGA1366 CPUs don't come with integrated PCIe. That has to be dealt with by the Chipset...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

ooft, are there any other xeons like these that are old but still have high core count and are really cheap like in linuses video bout the server parts build?

asus p6t motherboard and dd3 memory max 4 gb per module and your good to go

ddr 3 memory is in my country readily available so i guess you shouldn't have to many problems if you use google to look for it

ik but the P6T is very expensive... ddr3 ecc memory for the xeon is very easy to find for me too on ali express