I wrote a tutorial about GPU passthrough for graphics vendors with locked-down device drivers

I often find that the documentation on this subject either leaves a bit to be desired, doesn't emphasize some really important aspects, or is just downright hard to follow at times.

Because of this, I wrote my own tutorial that primarily sources personal experience on the topic in an effort to drastically improve the available documentation on the subject (in a sort-of verbose nature).

One of the goals of the tutorial is to show the reader examples and explain why things are being done so that the reader comes away from the tutorial with a better understanding of how PCI-e passthrough works overall.

Feedback is highly encouraged! Submit an issue or pull request if you think the tutorial needs further improvement. I'm also open to suggestions of any kind.

https://clayfreeman.github.io/gpu-passthrough/

Doesn't software like proxmox allow this out of the box?

Server 1:  CPU: i3 2100T  SSD: 840EVO MOBO: DQ67OW NIC: i340 -T4

Server 2:  CPU: Pentium D  MOBO: Dell Dimension 5150

Switch 1: Netgear GS108

Switch 2: Cisco 3500

Ubuntu just announced 19 ships with proprietary nvidia drivers now - maybe something to test again with ubuntu + kvm. To @Rehmat's point, yes proxmox and unraid - both based on KVM, support this out of the box. However this guide looks more for people who are starting from the ground up wishing to do this. Maybe using something like arch linux or similar.

I would say this is very thought out and well written - short of rolling my own KVM build I would think this would cover my questions.

@Mikensan Thanks for the clarification

Server 1:  CPU: i3 2100T  SSD: 840EVO MOBO: DQ67OW NIC: i340 -T4

Server 2:  CPU: Pentium D  MOBO: Dell Dimension 5150

Switch 1: Netgear GS108

Switch 2: Cisco 3500