How I turn my PC on and off. Is it safe?

DG Result

Everyday when I go to work I turn my pc off and flip the switch on the coupler and I disconnect it from the wall. 

I do this becase I am afraid of lightning storms when I am away. 

After I come back from work I always plug the coupler into the wall and then I flip the switch back on which makea my PC ready to use as power is entering the Motherboard. I can see from the LED lights on it. 

My question is this: Is this bad for the PSU or for the motherboard in general or is it safe to do regularly? 

I am asking becase I dont know much about power supplies and I have a 750W PSU 

2 minutes ago, DG Result said:

My question is this: Is this bad for the PSU or for the motherboard in general or is it safe to do regularly? 

Totally fine to do this 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It is bad for the PSU to cut the power to it all the time. Several people have killed their PSUs by doing it. Get a surge protector instead. 

:)

3 hours ago, seon123 said:

It is bad for the PSU to cut the power to it all the time. Several people have killed their PSUs by doing it. Get a surge protector instead. 

I have a surge protector but Im still worried it might fry if there is an intence storm

17 hours ago, DG Result said:

I have a surge protector but Im still worried it might fry if there is an intence storm

Then buy a better surge protector.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:49 PM, DG Result said:

When shopping for a surge protector you will want to look for what's called the "Joule" rating which is a measurement of how much power the protect can protect against. I personally have used APC and Triplite surge protectors for literally decades with no issues and generally speaking for $40-80 USD you can get a surge protector from either company in the 3300-4500 joule range.

Between a good surge protector and turning off your computer normally you'll be protected under 99.99% of circumstances and even if you let your rig run 24/7 you'll very likely be fine.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

On 5/26/2019 at 2:02 AM, seon123 said:

Is this likely to cause the PSU to fry the whole computer? 

I always switch my computer off at the wall every nigh, don't know why why as just always taught to turn everything off at the wall before going to bed. Is this bad for the PSU as well? 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

28 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

Is this likely to cause the PSU to fry the whole computer? 

I always switch my computer off at the wall every nigh, don't know why why as just always taught to turn everything off at the wall before going to bed. Is this bad for the PSU as well? 

The PSU will just stop turning on. You kill the PSU, not the rest of the PC. 

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Is it still a problem with modern PSUs? What causes them to break, is it just the electricity constantly discharging and charging. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

3 minutes ago, bradwiggo said:

Is it still a problem with modern PSUs? What causes them to break, is it just the electricity constantly discharging and charging. 

There were a couple of people with the RMx complaining about killing their PSUs a while back. 

@jonnyGURU Was it the constant charging and discharging the bulk capacitors, or the relay or the switch that failed on those?

Where do you live that there is a significant threat of electrical storms?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 hours ago, seon123 said:

Is there a way for me to check my PSU health or at least test it... 

On 5/26/2019 at 5:49 AM, DG Result said:

Get a surge protector, and if when you are going out it's not stormy AF, don't plug it off.

If it's raining like there's no tomorrow then unplug it.

There's no need to unplug it everyday.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304