How do you set the default drive to a second drive?

Monkeyofdoom44
Go to solution Solved by FloRolf,
8 hours ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

I’m only using one OS but I’m putting it on an ssd. For literally everything else I’m wanting to use the other two drives. Windows 10 is what I’ll be using. How do I have it where everything else will default to the other drives.

You have to select a drive everytime you install something. Starting from windows. Afaik you can't set a default 

I'm about to build my first PC and I'm getting a SSD for the operating system with 2 mechanical drives for actual usage but I don't know how to set one of them as the default. Any help would be much appreciated...

When you install it windows you can select one of the drives and then this will be the one booted from. If you have multiple OS drives you can select the first one in the bios, but I don't think you will need that. 

Just build away mate :)

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

3 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

When you install it windows you can select one of the drives and then this will be the one booted from. If you have multiple OS drives you can select the first one in the bios, but I don't think you will need that. 

Just build away mate :)

I'm afraid I don't quite get what you mean. Are you saying that I'd pick one of the mechanical drives in the bios?

8 minutes ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

I'm afraid I don't quite get what you mean. Are you saying that I'd pick one of the mechanical drives in the bios?

Are you using multiple operating systems or just one on one drive and using the other drives as storage?

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

It's generally best (and easiest) to just keep any extra drives (so everything apart from your boot drive) disconnected until you've installed Windows/whatever. After you've installed the OS, connect the other drives and then afterwards go to the bios (by pressing F2 or F1 or F8 or F11 or F12 or DEL or whichever it is for your motherboard repeatedly while booting), and ensure that the boot order is correct (i.e., boot drive is the first one). You might also need to use this (or boot override) to get an USB stick/DVD drive to install your OS. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

24 minutes ago, ch3w2oy said:

Are you using multiple operating systems or just one on one drive and using the other drives as storage?

I’m only using one OS but I’m putting it on an ssd. For literally everything else I’m wanting to use the other two drives. Windows 10 is what I’ll be using. How do I have it where everything else will default to the other drives.

8 hours ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

You have to select a drive everytime you install something. Starting from windows. Afaik you can't set a default 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List