Would 32 GB memory bottleneck a i5-9600k?

Go to solution Solved by trevb0t,
2 hours ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

My budget was around 1500, including peripherals of which I only have a mouse, but then I decided to move it to around 2000.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Monkeyofdoom44/saved/#view=7bRK4D

This is the build I'm looking at but it's still a WIP. As for my location, online. I don't really want to deal with actual stores.

Notes to the build:

1. That G3 PSU is poor quality for what you're spending on it. I'd grab either this PSU (If you don't mind non-modular) or this PSU for a performance boost at about the same cost.
  2. That motherboard will not provide proper VRM support for a 9900K. Whether or not you want to overclock, build for it since the 9900K runs heavy and hot at stock.
  3. Solid CPU cooler upgrade for only a few bucks more.
  4. If you are not editing and rendering 4K video files, 32GB RAM is a waste on money. Very few games even cap 11GB in use on ultra settings. I suggest 2X8GB for now, and you could always grab 2 more if you need it later.
  5. Solid SSD upgrade to NVMe and size boost, same amount of HDD space for less.
  6. GPU upgrade for only a bit more.
  7. Case choice is up to you, but the Enthoo Pro M is a huge overspend. I'd do either a Cooler Master H500 or the Meshify C
  8. Upgraded your monitor setup. A 27" 1440p 144hz 1ms Freesync gaming monitor, and a 24" 1080p 75hz 1ms web browsing monitor. Buying 144hz response on a second monitor is stupid spending. You'll never need it for what you'd do on a second monitor.
  9. I won't argue peripherals, since they are largely a personalized thing. The Z313 speakers share the same base stats as the Z323's though for a savings. Don't overspend on a 2.1 configured sound system. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would frankly question whether or not the 9900K is the best route for a gaming pc with a 2k budget that includes monitors. Its gaming performance is negligible compared to the 8700K or 9700K. The difference between an RTX 2060 (or even a Vega 64) and an RTX 2080 would be much greater. I would personally do something more like this:

Build notes:

• I dropped the second monitor, since really this monitor will up the gaming experience pretty heavily, and 27" will dominate most desks' monitor space.
  • 8700K is very well priced right now to your budget. The 9700K might still be a better buy, but at a $40 difference, they are pretty comparable.
  • Arctic freezer and UD are solid. Unless you're itching for RGB, I wouldn't do the 212 for only a $3 savings..
  • Don't overthink RAM. Dual channel, 3000-3200mhz and 15-16cl is solid. 32GB will show no difference to 16GB in current gaming.
  • This RTX 2080 is a monster. It's got a great 3 fan cooler, and a really nice clock speed. Were I in the market, I would grab this right up.
  • Do note this build is in a sleek all black look :P 

I'm building my first PC and I'm not great with bottlenecks yet as I have no experience. I'm looking to have a core i5-9600k, G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB DDR4-2666 memory, and a MSI GeForce RTX 2060. If I know anything about computers, and I'm not sure I do, I'd say that the 2060 is just fine handling both the memory and the cpu. I'm wondering if the cpu will be the bottleneck as I'd prefer to wait a bit to save and get an i7 if that's the case. What would you fair gents and lasses recommend?

Nah its more like usage, if you have more than what you needed it's useless.

The first thing you should do is make sure you actually need 32GB because for gaming and fair enough multi-tasking aside 16GB really does the job.

It's more beneficial to get faster memory regardless if you want "the best gaming perf" Also waiting to get the i7 8700K instead is indeed totally worth it if you're planning on that multi-tasking side

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

CPUs are always bottlenecked by RAM, which is why they have cache.

But to answer your actual question, you should get 16GB of 3200Mhz if you are primarily gaming.

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

It won't bottleneck it

But that 32GB is 2x16 or 4x8 ?

You may have issues if you try to OC if its 4x8

I'm planning on 2x16 at the moment. Not really wanting to mess with overclocking.

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The first thing you should do is make sure you actually need 32GB because for gaming and fair enough multi-tasking aside 16GB really does the job.

It's more beneficial to get faster memory regardless if you want "the best gaming perf" Also waiting to get the i7 8700K instead is indeed totally worth it if you're planning on that multi-tasking side

I don't know that I "NEED" 32 but I plan on gaming with some stuff in the background plus my current rig is a potato so I'm going for overkill. Overkill within my budget that is.

1 minute ago, campy said:

That's otherwise a good pairing, but that is a very large quantity of ram for normal use. 

You're not really gonna bottleneck related to ram, it's more about how much you need than anything. Your processor will perform the same in synthetics with 2gb as it would with 64gb. But obviously other things are going to run slowly or even fail entirely if you don't have enough ram.

I would recommend getting 2x8gb first and seeing if 16gb is enough for your use case. 99% of games out today that could run on the 9600k and 2060 to begin with won't top that much ram. But if you're doing some kind of ram intensive professional work like video editing, you may need more.

I do plan on doing some ram intensive work from time to time but it's more that my current rig never seems to have enough so I'm going for overkill.

1 minute ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

It makes better sense to get the i7 8700K in my opinion or the 9700K if priced the same, you will get a chip good enough for quite a long time in gaming and more, having the memory for a lot of stuff doesn't make your CPU more capable of handling a lot at once, the 9600K has the bad habit of maxing out on games alone already...

You can always easily add more RAM if 16 doesn't end up enough while being enough until this upgrade as well.

RTX 2060 is the best valued RTX card so no need to worry about it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, ReggieGRS said:

I like you. :D

I like me too.

I'll look into faster ram. How big of a difference does that make?

Just get a 2x8 kit of 2933-3200 ram, it’s very unlikely you’ll need 32 gigabytes of ram. Spend the amount you save on a better CPU or graphics card.

1 hour ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

I'll look into faster ram. How big of a difference does that make?

< 5% difference in real world usages comparing 2133MHz to 3600MHz, for Intel CPUs at least. I'd stick to 2400-2666MHz for Intel, unless you can get a good deal on higher clocked memory(3000-3200MHz)

Quick question, though:

What's your budget and location, and what's your current build you're looking at?

It's likely these folks can find spots you're overspending or buying under-performance.

I would love to participate in a build discussion :P

6 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

For multitasking I would still recommend AMD.

also to note Monday computex starts, and we will know more about zen 2.

if the rumours are even partly true - it really could be a intel killer until intel launches something new, at lower prices. (Intel is cocky with their pricing in my opinion)

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

15 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Quick question, though:

What's your budget and location, and what's your current build you're looking at?

It's likely these folks can find spots you're overspending or buying under-performance.

I would love to participate in a build discussion :P

My budget was around 1500, including peripherals of which I only have a mouse, but then I decided to move it to around 2000.

This is the build I'm looking at but it's still a WIP. As for my location, online. I don't really want to deal with actual stores.

Notes to the build:

1. That G3 PSU is poor quality for what you're spending on it. I'd grab either this PSU (If you don't mind non-modular) or this PSU for a performance boost at about the same cost.
  2. That motherboard will not provide proper VRM support for a 9900K. Whether or not you want to overclock, build for it since the 9900K runs heavy and hot at stock.
  4. If you are not editing and rendering 4K video files, 32GB RAM is a waste on money. Very few games even cap 11GB in use on ultra settings. I suggest 2X8GB for now, and you could always grab 2 more if you need it later.
  7. Case choice is up to you, but the Enthoo Pro M is a huge overspend. I'd do either a Cooler Master H500 or the Meshify C
  8. Upgraded your monitor setup. A 27" 1440p 144hz 1ms Freesync gaming monitor, and a 24" 1080p 75hz 1ms web browsing monitor. Buying 144hz response on a second monitor is stupid spending. You'll never need it for what you'd do on a second monitor.
  9. I won't argue peripherals, since they are largely a personalized thing. The Z313 speakers share the same base stats as the Z323's though for a savings. Don't overspend on a 2.1 configured sound system. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would frankly question whether or not the 9900K is the best route for a gaming pc with a 2k budget that includes monitors. Its gaming performance is negligible compared to the 8700K or 9700K. The difference between an RTX 2060 (or even a Vega 64) and an RTX 2080 would be much greater. I would personally do something more like this:

Build notes:

• I dropped the second monitor, since really this monitor will up the gaming experience pretty heavily, and 27" will dominate most desks' monitor space.
  • 8700K is very well priced right now to your budget. The 9700K might still be a better buy, but at a $40 difference, they are pretty comparable.
  • Arctic freezer and UD are solid. Unless you're itching for RGB, I wouldn't do the 212 for only a $3 savings..
  • Don't overthink RAM. Dual channel, 3000-3200mhz and 15-16cl is solid. 32GB will show no difference to 16GB in current gaming.
  • This RTX 2080 is a monster. It's got a great 3 fan cooler, and a really nice clock speed. Were I in the market, I would grab this right up.

2 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Notes to the build:

Build notes:

Thank you. You've done far more work than I could ask for. I'll probably go with this. I don't actually know too much about speakers or headphones, do you think these are good? I was wanting a second monitor since I plan on rendering stuff in the background and wanted to keep an eye on it while I game. I was going to get two of the same monitor as I wanted to try out dual screen but on second thought that'd be hellish for the crosshair with two monitors. The second one can be pretty cheap I guess. Thank you again. I hate to ask more but could you recommend a good keyboard? I'd prefer a wireless one so I don't have to mess with the cable but whatever you think'd be best I'd trust. You seem like you know better than me.

21 minutes ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

I was wanting a second monitor since I plan on rendering stuff in the background and wanted to keep an eye on it while I game. I was going to get two of the same monitor as I wanted to try out dual screen but on second thought that'd be hellish for the crosshair with two monitors.

If you plan to do rendering, then I'd go for either the 9900k or I could slap out a Ryzen 7 2700X build that would still support the RTX 2080 and render better than the i7-8700k while still gaming very nicely.

22 minutes ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

I was going to get two of the same monitor as I wanted to try out dual screen but on second thought that'd be hellish for the crosshair with two monitors.

I can't think of a single game I'd ever want 2 screens for. Best use case is you are looking up build guides on one screen and playing LoL or WoW on the other...? In any other case, there is no use. Frankly if you're rendering and gaming, you can alt+tab to your engine while you pause on a single sexy 27"...

24 minutes ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

I don't actually know too much about speakers or headphones, do you think these are good?

On the low end, speakers are speakers. These will sound just fine if you aren't looking for an elite 5.1 Surround sound experience. Logitech also comes with great support :) As to the headset, I can't say. I don't have expensive taste for finer things like headphone quality. I use a $40 headset I got on Amazon, and it sounds great to me!

24 minutes ago, Monkeyofdoom44 said:

Thank you again. I hate to ask more but could you recommend a good keyboard? I'd prefer a wireless one so I don't have to mess with the cable

This again is going to fall largely to how 'elite' you want to go. I have a $34 Red Dragon mouse and keyboard set, which is extremely responsive, very comfy and it looks badass with my system. I personally would ALWAYS opt to beef the computer system and spend less on peripherals. You can always grab a headset or mouse down the line. Trading out a GPU is a whole different thing.

Here are a well regarded mouse and keyboard:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/t2x2FT/corsair-k63-special-edition-mx-red-wireless-gaming-keyboard-ch-9145050-na

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BX6BD3/logitech-mouse-mx518 (May have to dig around).

Here are the two keyboard/mice combos I've got and both work great:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hnL7YJ/redragon-keyboard-ictg0101

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kbBTwP/cooler-master-devastator-3-wired-gaming-keyboard-woptical-mouse-sgb-3000-kkmf1-us

I'll slap another couple builds together, since I'm bored :P 

Okay, here's another idea:

• Ryzen 2700X is a great rendering and gaming CPU. It will beat out the i7 in the workload, and only lose a bit in the gaming.
  • Solid cooler and great MOBO
  • Went back to 32GB RAM since this is a workload pc
  • The Radeon VII is approximately comparable in gameplay to the RX 2080, but has twice the VRAM for those workloads that are GPU bound. This cooler is very nice 
    • If you would like an RTX 2080 instead, opt for this Windforce one.
  • I opted for a black and white look to this build. I think it will be pretty sexy :) 
  • Plenty of legroom for peripherals.

14 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Okay, here's another idea:

• Ryzen 2700X is a great rendering and gaming CPU. It will beat out the i7 in the workload, and only lose a bit in the gaming.
  • Solid cooler and great MOBO
  • Went back to 32GB RAM since this is a workload pc
  • The Radeon VII is approximately comparable in gameplay to the RX 2080, but has twice the VRAM for those workloads that are GPU bound. This cooler is very nice 
    • If you would like an RTX 2080 instead, opt for this Windforce one.
  • I opted for a black and white look to this build. I think it will be pretty sexy :) 
  • Plenty of legroom for peripherals.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $279.89 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $109.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $179.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $62.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Constellation ES 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card $685.99 @ Walmart
Case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply BitFenix - Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $76.98 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill - RNX-AC600PCEv3 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $24.99 @ Newegg Business
Monitor Dell - S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor $299.00 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor $89.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair - K63 Special Edition (MX Red) Wireless Gaming Keyboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse $84.95 @ Amazon
Headphones Corsair - VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel Headset $70.99 @ Newegg Business
Speakers Logitech - Z213 7 W 2.1 Channel Speakers $26.37 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $2311.87
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $2291.87
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 17:18 EDT-0400  

how does this look to you?

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $279.89 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $109.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $179.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel - 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $62.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card $685.99 @ Walmart
Case NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply BitFenix - Formula Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $76.98 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill - RNX-AC600PCEv3 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $24.99 @ Newegg Business
Monitor Dell - S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor $299.00 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor $89.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Corsair - K63 Special Edition (MX Red) Wireless Gaming Keyboard $79.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse $84.95 @ Amazon
Headphones Corsair - VOID PRO RGB (Black) 7.1 Channel Headset $70.99 @ Newegg Business
Speakers Logitech - Z213 7 W 2.1 Channel Speakers $26.37 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $2311.87
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $2291.87
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 17:18 EDT-0400  

how does this look to you?

I like it!