New CPU... 9700K or 8700K

CPU  

12 members have voted

1. 1. CPU

As the title suggests I'm looking to get a new CPU/Mobo. While I know there are great option by AMD I'd rather not buy AMD so if you're going to suggest that, you might as well stop reading now...

I upgraded my GPU about a year or so ago to the GTX 1080 Ti, while this is a great GPU it comes with some serious bottlenecking of the CPU I have. Currently I have the 3770k with 16 gig memory. Primary uses will mainly be gaming with the occasional home video editing. I've watched a few different videos about the impact of HT and it doesn't seem to come with any serious performance issues from what I can tell anyways. So is it worth getting 2 more cores with 4 fewer threads? For my use case is there a different Intel CPU that you'd recommend? Just curious what everyone's take is on it.

Was leaning towards the mobo below... Would you recommend something else? I think I want an Asus board as I've had really good luck with them with support of their products even if they are super old. (I had an old p5n-d that they replaced about 4 years ago, and I even bought the board off ebay)

Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING

Also I'd need new memory is it worth getting into the high speed memory or what frequency would you recommend? I'm probably planning on getting another 16 gig set but not sure on speed as memory prices are still pretty high

I stopped reading after your first paragraph. 

Good luck

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Future zombieload patches may effect hyper threading so I would go with the 9700k. For ram go with 3000mhz to 3200mhz. 

9 minutes ago, Vandey said:

While I know there are great option by AMD I'd rather not buy AMD so if you're going to suggest that, you might as well stop reading now...

well........

wait for Zen 2. buying an expencive CPU right now is just a bad idea. Zen 2 is right around the corner, and you can still hold on with your current hardware untill then.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

well........

wait for Zen 2. buying an expencive CPU right now is just a bad idea. Zen 2 is right around the corner, and you can still hold on with your current hardware untill then.

100% agree. Just gave up reading after first paragraph haha

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

14 minutes ago, Vandey said:

As the title suggests I'm looking to get a new CPU/Mobo. While I know there are great option by AMD I'd rather not buy AMD so if you're going to suggest that, you might as well stop reading now...

Stoped reading...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

11 minutes ago, Vandey said:

Can't you find a better motherboard? Something that isn't so bad yet so god damn overpriced solely for a ROG branding?

13 minutes ago, Vandey said:

GTX 1080 Ti,

13 minutes ago, Vandey said:

Primary uses will mainly be gaming

The i7 8700K and i7 9700K will be much of the same at gaming being frank, it doesn't matter which one you pick, go with the 8700K if you'll save any money you feel worth saving or with the 9700K if you don't care about paying little bit more.

Zombieland is more of an issue on Kaby Lake and older as Coffee Lake has hardware level fixes applied to HT.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Stormseeker9 said:

100% agree. Just gave up reading after first paragraph haha

i should also just give up, but i cant let people waste money and get buyers remorse. 

also if i didnt, the rest of the buildguide community would do instead. 

@LukeSavenije isnt that right?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

i should also just give up, but i cant let people waste money and get buyers remorse. 

also if i didnt, the rest of the buildguide community would do instead. 

@LukeSavenije isnt that right?

I usually also answer, but this time... i got lazy ?. I knew others would say anyway to wait till

monday at least so we know more about zen 2, release dates, what cpus etc etc.

19 minutes ago, Vandey said:

think I want an Asus board

overpriced as hell currently

20 minutes ago, Vandey said:

overpriced, as i said

12 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

Future zombieload patches may effect hyper threading so I would go with the 9700k. For ram go with 3000mhz to 3200mhz. 

coffee lake had hw protections against it...

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

LukeSavenije isnt that right

i do what they want... I'm personally a big fan of whoever gives the best for the money, and honestly that's currently amd, but it's okay if someone wants to pay intel tax for higher clock speeds i guess...

just don't get mad at me if i say i said so

but that aside, I'd get a 8700k with a good motherboard

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

coffee lake had hw protections against it...

Really? Then why the hell are tech tubers going around testing the performance of 9900k's and 8700k's without hyper threading? 

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

i do what they want... I'm personally a big fan of whoever gives the best for the money, and honestly that's currently amd, but it's okay if someone wants to pay intel tax for higher clock speeds i guess...

yeah i get it, but at the current time, its just not a great time to buy. 

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

same, its essenitally the same as a 9700k and usually cheaper. 

Just now, Sorenson said:

Really? Then why the hell are tech tubers going around testing the performance of 9900k's and 8700k's without hyper threading? 

because for show and views. it'll take 5-10% percent performance at best

Get whichever is cheaper.  Personally I think z390's only worth it if you plan on going i9 eventually.  But y'know how that goes, new stuff comes out and you just end up upgrading the platform anyway.

9 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Get whichever is cheaper.  Personally I think z390's only worth it if you plan on going i9 eventually.  But y'know how that goes, new stuff comes out and you just end up upgrading the platform anyway.

Thanks for the input on the mobo chipset... what chipset would you recommend using then? 

28 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I really don't care too much that AMD might give the best for the money, so I'm not mad at all. Thanks, I was kind of leaning towards the 8700k anyways but just wanted to know what others were thinking.

22 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

overpriced as hell currently

Like I said ASUS has been good to me with product support, which is why I'm likely to continue using them. I was able to RMA a really old board that I wasn't even the original owner for, and the board was over 6 or 7 years old at the time I obtained an RMA for. They've been good as well on other various issues I've had on other products. Maybe I can find a decent board that isn't branded with the ROG name. I know that has a name tax associated with it as well as Intel. And honestly the board I've mentioned is on the cheaper side of the z390 chipset made by ASUS, the cheapest being 140ish, which is 30ish less than the board I said.

35 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Regardless of what the Zen 2 will bring I'll probably still end up with Intel... I didn't ask for an AMD chip if you read the very 2nd sentence in the OP you'd realize that... I guess I shouldn't have posted anything because seems that since I want Intel all the AMD fanboys are going to give me shit for it. And honestly who cares if I want to pay for the Intel tax? It's my cash and I can spend where I want. Also my current hardware is barely hanging on at gaming in BFV, which is why I'm looking at a new CPU. When gaming my GPU usages are in the 30-40% usage range. However, maybe I can hold off and see what the next gen Intel has to offer.

2 minutes ago, Alexsolo said:

Z390 IS the chipset to use with either the 8700 or 9700. You can't overclock on any other chipset of the current generation. (H310, H370, B360, B365)

Z is the letter that identifies Intel overclock enabled motherboards. 

Z370? But I see those boards aren't really all that much cheaper...

6 minutes ago, Vandey said:

Thanks for the input on the mobo chipset... what chipset would you recommend using then? 

Z370 if its cheaper and readily available for you - that may depend, I think some higher end z370 boards may be better than low end z390.  Some of them may not work with 9th gen intel but it may not matter if you're locked in with 8700k.

There may be little details I'm missing such as OC potential and motherboard features, but it's just a suggestion that you can also consider z370.

4 minutes ago, Vandey said:

Regardless of what the Zen 2 will bring I'll probably still end up with Intel... I didn't ask for an AMD chip if you read the very 2nd sentence in the OP you'd realize that... I guess I shouldn't have posted anything because seems that since I want Intel all the AMD fanboys are going to give me shit for it. And honestly who cares if I want to pay for the Intel tax? It's my cash and I can spend where I want.

the reason i mention waiting for Zen 2 isnt because of the "intel tax" as you call it (i dont believe in that one). its due to performance, and Zen 2 is looking pretty shiny atm, and it wouldnt hurt holding on for a few days or a couple of weeks to see how it turns out. 

6 minutes ago, Vandey said:

However, maybe I can hold off and see what the next gen Intel has to offer.

wouldnt bother waiting, we allready know what intel is releasing. its another cofferlake refresh with 10 cores and a rumoured TDP of 120 watts. meaning no real gain in performance over the 8700k. 

7 minutes ago, Vandey said:

Z370? But I see those boards aren't really all that much cheaper...

If that's the case then yeah, just get a z390.  I haven't looked too closely at how they're priced (be it new or used), but it does open you up to a few more options.  There may be a case-scenario where a higher end z370 may be better than a low end z390.

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

the reason i mention waiting for Zen 2 isnt because of the "intel tax" as you call it (i dont believe in that one). its due to performance, and Zen 2 is looking pretty shiny atm, and it wouldnt hurt holding on for a few days or a couple of weeks to see how it turns out. 

wouldnt bother waiting, we allready know what intel is releasing. its another cofferlake refresh with 10 cores and a rumoured TDP of 120 watts. meaning no real gain in performance over the 8700k. 

I guess we'll see I don't play enough games ATM to need an immediate upgrade, just noticing that I'm hitting bottlenecks and barely able to keep 60+ fps in BF:V... who knows maybe by the time I absolutely need to upgrade I'll have to buy a new GPU and just would be better off buliding a complete new system.

49 minutes ago, Vandey said:

Like I said ASUS has been good to me with product support, which is why I'm likely to continue using them

yep, but they've had the crappiest vrms for the price on z370 and z390 imo. just take a look at gigabyte, at asrock (former asus), at msi, there's more than brands and i hate people judging on it, because it simply doesn't work that way. i can beat the crap out of that strix with an aorus elite

49 minutes ago, Vandey said:

AMD fanboys

i want you to look at my signature... look at my system. there's no amd in there. I'm not a fanboy, nor are most of us. the fanboy seems to be you right now, favoring intel for no clear reason, that's why people wanted to give you the option

don't underestimate me, please

1 hour ago, Biggerboot said:

Personally I think z390's only worth it if you plan on going i9 eventually

it really doesn't work that way... there are only a handful mobos with z390 I'd trust with it

and even some z370's

and they're about the same price now anyways

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

yep, but they've had the crappiest vrms for the price on z370 and z390 imo. just take a look at gigabyte, at asrock (former asus), at msi, there's more than brands and i hate people judging on it, because it simply doesn't work that way. i can beat the crap out of that strix with an aorus elite

Call me old fashioned then for having brand loyalty on a product that has given me excellent support. I'm not sure any of those other brands would have done what ASUS did on my old MOBO I had RMA'd... I still use that board to this day, so yes I've gotten more than the value out of it.

and I never called you an AMD fanboy... I thanked you for your input more than once tho!

Just now, Vandey said:

Call me old fashioned then for having brand loyalty on a product that has given me excellent support. I'm not sure any of those other brands would have done what ASUS did on my old MOBO I had RMA'd... I still use that board to this day, so yes I've gotten more than the value out of it.

and I never called you an AMD fanboy... I thanked you for your input more than once tho!

funny story... i could actually rma my gpu to evga because my led wouldn't turn off... a lot of brands have excellent support these days, just look around. I've actually heard some bad stories about asus even, but generally they're okay from my experience. 

i have something for you tho

just to show you how different it can be...

and if you don't mind... look at 2700 pricing right now... it's so damn sweet

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

funny story... i could actually rma my gpu to evga because my led wouldn't turn off... a lot of brands have excellent support these days, just look around. I've actually heard some bad stories about asus even, but generally they're okay from my experience. 

Right, EVGA used to have garbage support and now their support has gotten 10x better in that aspect. But the fact that they took a board that was basically obsolete and pretty old and gave me a new one back is where I was floored.