Why go Haswell?

For budget gaming, if i were to go Intel, what reasons are there that would make me want to go with Haswell over Ivy Bridge?
MoBos and mid/low to high end CPUs are similar price, but the sub i3 line is WAY cheaper on the last gen hardware
any compelling arguments?

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

6 Sata III ports on intel chipset. Great for storage whores I guess.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

Don't go i3 route get an 8320 and a 990fxa ud3

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

6 Sata III ports on intel chipset. Great for storage whores I guess.

1: i only have 2 things to use SATA on, so that isn't a big deal, but it's nice

2: I brought up the sub i3 because that's what i'm looking into as a start point. There's nothing too super on the AM3+ socket that isn't the same price as an i3 or i5

I second this. If your on a tight budget AMD is the way to go.

Better performance, slightly better integrated graphics, and lower power consumption. Haswell may not overclock as well as Ivy, but if you aren't overclocking I'd say Haswell is worth it.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

There isn't really a reason to go with Haswell over Ivy other than upgradability and a few perks from the 87 chipset.If you are thinking of "budget gaming" I would give AMD a consideration though

2: I brought up the sub i3 because that's what i'm looking into as a start point. There's nothing too super on the AM3+ socket that isn't the same price as an i3 or i5

THere the same price and probably even better depending on what you need

If you are going to upgrade soon, I would advise you save your money a bit longer. Don't buy something bad now and upgrade later. You're spending money twice. I've been down that route, not fun.

But the 8320 out performs the i3 (And the i5 in some applications) or get a 6300 (Still better than i3) which is around 100 dollars and 8320 is 150 dollars

Am3+ Is a great budget to performance ratio chipset and is completely worth every penny

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

But the 8320 out performs the i3 (And the i5 in some applications) or get a 6300 (Still better than i3) which is around 100 dollars and 8320 is 150 dollars

Am3+ Is a great budget to performance ratio chipset and is completely worth every penny

99% of the games don't take advantage of more than 2 cores so an i3 will be overall 20-25% faster than a FX 9590 single core performance wise. An i3 is a better choice.

Don't go with Haswell. An AMD product or even an older intel would be better.

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

99% of the games don't take advantage of more than 2 cores so an i3 will be overall 20-25% faster than a FX 9590 single core performance wise. An i3 is a better choice.

Are you trying to say that 3.3GHz Haswell is 20% faster than 5GHz Piledriver?

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

if you're on a budget build, go AMD. if not, go Intel

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

did...did i just start a flame war?...

I've done a lot of research, and the Intel chips out perform the AMD on single thread, but the second you go multi-thread, AMD blows Intel out of the water.

but keep in mind, the MoBo budget is around $50 and the CPU budget is $80
The cheapest MoBos i can find on AM3+, FM2+/FM2, and LGA 1150 on newegg are about $45 to $50
the most decent, yet cheap, MoBo on LGA 1155 is $42.99, giving me more to work with on the CPU

Right now, i'm looking at a $300 dollar parts list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231439
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138374
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116777
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150542

any help would be nice, but i think this might be the best i can do

Better performance ~15%, lower power consumption and better features.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

Are you trying to say that 3.3GHz Haswell is 20% faster than 5GHz Piledriver?

Yes is it required to prove this?

8350@5GHz: http://i.imgur.com/kAqay.png

Inte i3 Ivy bridge: http://anandtech.com/bench/CPU/344

The i3 haswell is 10-12% faster than the Ivy bridge. I3 HW will sit at 1.50 and that 8350 at 1.32

games that aren't multithreaded are usually not all that affected by single core performance these days, More often than not they are pretty undemanding games that can be run well on almost any half decent CPU.

Almost all games do take advantage of more than 1 core so they are multithreaded so how does that make sense if a single threaded app isn't effected by single core performance? WoW, SC2, BL2, Skyrim, Civ 5, Total war rome, Sniper elite V2 and much more are pretty lightthreaded and theyre freaking CPU bound. AMD is sitting at 20 fps in 25m raids up in a 10 year old mmo.

Alot of games released in the last 5 years will be single core performance reliant, but that advantage means bugger all in terms of FPS though. But almost every engine out now is multi threaded and saying an i3 is better than even a 6300 is foolish. Yes a 6300 will lose out in some older games by a few fps, but that loss is more than made up for when it comes to current games and also looking into the future.

Almost every engine is  heavily multithreaded? There's so far only two Cryengine & Frostbite. Ill leave this review here where only game uses more than 2 cores and thats BF3. Overall an i3 is a better choice as I proved it outperforms 9590 in terms of single core performance in a floating point benchmark and games aren't doing anything else than FP calcs.

Considering i3's dont turbo boost, maybe go with the AMD equivalent and OC the heck out of it.
or consider getting an i5/i7. I am not to familiar with AMD so I will let others talk about that, however their hexacores are so much cheaper than Intel's, I know that much from experience ^_^

I am not the best person to talk about budget rigs, but have you considered a used 2500K/2600k/2700K that clocks at 4.8-5ghz.
I am sure there are many floating around as people upgraded. and as long as the mobo is of decent quality you should be fine. Just a suggestion.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

did...did i just start a flame war?...

I've done a lot of research, and the Intel chips out perform the AMD on single thread, but the second you go multi-thread, AMD blows Intel out of the water.

but keep in mind, the MoBo budget is around $50 and the CPU budget is $80

The cheapest MoBos i can find on AM3+, FM2+/FM2, and LGA 1150 on newegg are about $45 to $50

the most decent, yet cheap, MoBo on LGA 1155 is $42.99, giving me more to work with on the CPU

Right now, i'm looking at a $300 dollar parts list:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231439

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171046

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138374

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116777

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150542

any help would be nice, but i think this might be the best i can do

I'm doing an ITX Haswell build that is just a tad more than what you have listed there; getting an MSI H81I and Pentium G3420. (However, I'm salvaging a couple parts and some were purchased second-hand.) The CPU performance should be close to a Sandy Bridge i3, which is more than enough. If you're tight on a budget now and you want to upgrade in the future, going Haswell now will allow you more upgrade potential in the future, assuming the next gen Intel CPUs will continue with the LGA 1150 socket.

>> Basically, price really shouldn't be an issue between Haswell and Ivy Bridge. You're just getting more features with Haswell and upgrade potential.

With regards to that parts list, that H61 board doesn't have SATA III or USB 3.0. The lowest-end Haswell chipset (H81) has both of those features by default. From reviews I've read, that PSU has exactly the same internals at the 400W CM Elite -- may be wasting a bit of money there. RAM is annoyingly expensive. If you try buying second-hand, you might be able to get a much better video card for that price.

You didn't read anything I said at all did you? Just what you wanted to hear

That's alright though, you go enjoy your inferior performance :) Not like it's bothering me

Just ignore him mate, if you look at his other posts he is just a troll that seems to think a haswell i3 is the best cpu ever 

Considering i3's dont turbo boost, maybe go with the AMD equivalent and OC the heck out of it.

or consider getting an i5/i7. I am not to familiar with AMD so I will let others talk about that, however their hexacores are so much cheaper than Intel's, I know that much from experience ^_^

I am not the best person to talk about budget rigs, but have you considered a used 2500K/2600k/2700K that clocks at 4.8-5ghz.

I am sure there are many floating around as people upgraded. and as long as the mobo is of decent quality you should be fine. Just a suggestion.

That is true. I went from a fx6200 to a 2550K@5ghz and there was a good improvement in performance.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

You didn't read anything I said at all did you? Just what you wanted to hear

That's alright though, you go enjoy your inferior performance :) Not like it's bothering me

I did and fixed your wrong stuff.

Just ignore him mate, if you look at his other posts he is just a troll that seems to think a haswell i3 is the best cpu ever 

Show me where I've said that otherwise you're being the troll here making your own fiction stories.

While you might be right on the single threaded performance, that doesn't mean an i3 is a better gaming processor. Nine times out of ten, the 8350 gives a higher average FPS in gaming than even an i7-3770k. Maybe bigger dips too, but higher averages. If 99% of games were actually single threaded, then this wouldn't hold true, and the FX line wouldn't be as popular as it is. But the FX line is popular, and benchmarks exist to prove the FX-8350 outperforms even a 3770k in gaming.

Percentage wise, however, you are extremely incorrect. An i3 outperforms better than the 9590 by way less than 10%. Or 5%. Maybe about 1%. Haswell, Ivy, and Sandy included. It does, but by miniscule and unoticable amounts.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

While you might be right on the single threaded performance, that doesn't mean an i3 is a better gaming processor. Nine times out of ten, the 8350 gives a higher average FPS in gaming than even an i7-3770k. Maybe bigger dips too, but higher averages. If 99% of games were actually single threaded, then this wouldn't hold true, and the FX line wouldn't be as popular as it is. But the FX line is popular, and benchmarks exist to prove the FX-8350 outperforms even a 3770k in gaming.

Percentage wise, however, you are extremely incorrect. An i3 outperforms better than the 9590 by way less than 10%. Or 5%. Maybe about 1%. Haswell, Ivy, and Sandy included. It does, but by miniscule and unoticable amounts.

A Sandybridge i3 is like 20% slower than an i3 so add to that 68fps a 20% gain so thats 81.6fps. A 8350@5GHz would be a 800MHz or 1000MHz OC so thats an overclock of 25% so add to 58 fps 25% make 71.6 fps passing a Sandy bridge i3 but 10 fps behind an i3 HW.

Source where the cpu is the limiting factor to avoid the gpu being the limiting factor: http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Saints%20Row%20IV/test/sr4%20proz.jpg

And your 9 of the ten 8350 performing better is complety wrong. A 8350@4.8GHz is upto 100% slower than an i7 3770K@4.8GHz as being proved here: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8350-vs-intel-core-i7-3770k-4-8ghz-multi-gpu-gaming-performance/17494.html

i have just put a computer together for a friend. Just bought a i5 3330 used for 125$ locally, and put it into a b75 mobo. No reason for going haswell if you are in a budget.

No need to turn this into another amd vs nvidia guys. It depends on the games/applications he play/use.  A 8320 is perfectly fine (and better for modern games). But my friend does play a lot of WoW, so ive decided to go for the 3330. 

And your 9 of the ten 8350 performing better is complety wrong. A 8350@4.8GHz is upto 100% slower than an i7 3770K@4.8GHz as being proved here: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8350-vs-intel-core-i7-3770k-4-8ghz-multi-gpu-gaming-performance/17494.html

That review has the 3770k significantly overclocked as compared to the 8350 which is moderately overclocked. Just because they're both at 4.8GHz doesn't mean it's the exact same overclock in percentage. I mean, the FX can probably achieve that on air cooling, the 3770k not so much. I could easily get my 8350 past 5GHz on water, maybe even on air if I felt comfortable with 70-80C temps (I don't.). Comparing an i7 at 4.5GHz to an FX-8350 at 5GHz seems like a more reasonable test since the overclock is significantly larger on the 3770k.

Anyway, that review has a significantly different scaling on BF3 than Tom's hardware. And I mean significant, 100FPS just from a CPU on BF3? Seems unrealistic.

bf3.jpg

And when you begin running both processors at their stock clocks or equivalent overclocks, you get results like this.

battlefield-3-1680.png

Oh, right, a Phenom has near the same performance on BF3 as an i7. CPU intensive game? Maybe on multiplayer, but it's too unpredictable to benchmark credibly.

If you're willing to throw in some benchmarks to prove a point, you should throw some realistic ones, too, because I'm not blurting out nonsense. I personally haven't overclocked a CPU as high as they did to the i7, so it doesn't seem as real as a test to me as you're putting forth.

Here are stock benchmarks, if you want to continue arguing.

https://teksyndicate.com/videos/amd-fx-8350-vs-intel-3570k-vs-3770k-vs-3820-gaming-and-xsplit-streaming-benchmarks

I'll admit, Intel wins almost everything else, but AMD has a lot of gaming. There is no reason to pick an i5 over the 8350 if all you're doing is gaming. If you're going to edit, then would an i5 be a suitable option.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.