Who does AMD make sense for?

I'm talking about the high end stuffs, like the 8350.

Are we gonna see more of it or does Intel have control of the more high end market?

Does it make sense for me?

I have a 2500k and I am very happy with it and would love to hear about the alternatives for me. I am doing gaming and light editing in Premiere and some light Photoshop once in a while.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Makes sense for anyone who doesn't want to pay almost twice the price for similar performance.

CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.4 ghz GPU: MSI 7950 Motherboard: Asrock 970 Extreme R2  RAM: Teamgroup Elite Black 8GB 1600mhz

Case: Corsair 300r Windowed Storage: 60GB Corsair SSD boot, 1TB WD Black storage PSU: Corsair GS600 Displays: AOC 22", Acer 24" both 1920x1080 60hz

Cooling: Coolermaster V8 cpu cooler Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech G500s  Mouse Pad: Corsair MM400 Sound: Sennheiser G4ME ONE headset, Audio Technica ATH M50s

they're mainly for people on budgets. Intel takes the crown for high end enthusiast-level stuffs.

the gpus USED to be for people on budgets, *cough*litecoin miners*cough* but now NVIDIA just watches the money roll in.

Yeah i guessed so.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

People on a budget or someone who doesn't need a graphics card (APUs). AMD CPUs (and GPUs I suppose, but CPUs more-so) have a very good price/performance ratio. AMD makes sense for gaming. They make absolute sense for gaming. Anything higher, like regular video work, Intel is the way to go.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Are we gonna see more of it or does Intel have control of the more high end market?

I have a 2500k and I am very happy with it and would love to hear about the alternatives for me. I am doing gaming and light editing in Premiere and some light Photoshop once in a while.

just wait AMD will be back it'll be 2002 all voer again 

Well it's not really complicated if you want the highest possible performance throughput AMD is your best choice, if you want the highest single threaded performance Intel would be your best choice.

mm² for mm² & $ for $ AMD will give you more total performance, mm² for mm² Intel will give you more single-thread performance and lower power consumption.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48571-intel-amd-architectural-discussion-how-far-ahead-is-intel/

AMD is best for price to performance.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

AMD has great potential if your on a budget, after around a $750 build I would switch over to the intel side, I'm actually in favor of there graphics cards over Nvidia, they seem to have a better price to performance.

CPU-Intel Core i7-6700k  Motherboard-Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Mini ITX LGA1151  

GPU-MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB  Ram-16GB HyperX Fury Black DDR4-2133  Case-Corsair 250D Black  

Displays-Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX (1920x1200) & Samsung 4k TV 

PSU-Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold   Cooling-Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid Cooler   

Keyboard-Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Brown   Mouse-Razer Naga 2012     Sound-Sennheiser HD 650

I like AMD for having fun with overclocking on a budget. The pricepoint to get into a Haswell K chip + Z87 motherboard can easily be $300 so realistically if we want a "balanced" system we are looking at roughly $1000+. My builds usually are initially around $700. I acknowledge that Intel is far superior in power consumption and the x86 side. I just enjoy cheaper overclocking fun. Kaveri Co-Processing sounds exciting as well.

Also competition is good! So supporting the underdog  :D

Well, I have an FX8350 + Asus CVF + 2x GTX670 setup and it's been great....for both gaming and video encoding. I could have gotten an i5/i7 3xxx setup back then when I'd gotten my 8350, but I did not want to have so many Intel rigs (already have two) so the 8350 was an experiment and I can honestly say I wasn't disappointed with it. It's my daily 'driver' and the rig I'd used for converting  my BR movies in HD rips. Very big fan of their GPU's though....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R7 5700X3D (8C/16T) + TR Phantom Spirit 120 EVO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Logitech G915 + G303 Shroud Ed + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Logitech G613 + G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

it makes sense for those who use a "parallel" computing style (basically, multi-tasking of multi-threaded apps)

when all 8 threads are being used, it gets less bogged down than the i7 (it's still a quad core, even if they are good at juggleing)

VMs also are a case where it makes sense, for example, say you run a base OS (such as fedora) and then run two side by side OSes in VMs(perhaps Win7 & Ubuntu), with 4 cores each.

again, that's doable, where as on the i7, it will bog down & chug when those VMs are loaded up.

now, there are cases where the intels make more sense. in apps where the thread count is <4, you will not see any benefit from more cores, and instead IPC is what is important.

The 8350 is on par with a 4670k for cheaper. Plus has the advantage of having double the cores so multithreaded tasks which are becoming more common will run better on the AMD platform.

The only reason to go Intel is if your going for super high end and need a 4770k or above.

these guys say different, they say the 8350 is about on par with the 4570s.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/446/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4670K.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/453/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4570S.html

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4570S-vs-AMD-FX-8350

Which would indicate that the i5 would just pip it at the post if you weren't considering overclocking, or have I missed something?

I have been looking to build an intermediate system for my son recently and I am not interested in overclocking,  In Australia the 8350 and the 4570s are the same price and it's $15 more for the 4670k.  So for a system that will be used prominently for games would not the 4570s be better?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I need all the threads.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I recommend AMD CPUs (especially FX 6300) for those people who would be happy with Intel I3 level of performance! (Especially those Pentium 4 LOL and WOW players which are a lot around me.) FX 8320 would be better than cheapest locked multi I5 IF you do more than gaming and browseing WEB. (There is still some price difference in favor of AMD.) However...FX 8350...don't buy it, unless you already have a motherboard for it. (And a good one too.) At this point, you are an enthuziast, and Intel 4570K is for you! One more tip: if you can find a cheap 2500k, buy it over everything else above. In your case, stick with it!

EDIT: You WILL want to switch to Kaveri or watever folows after it IF you make money using premiere and photoshop. But wait until OpenCL 2.0 support. 

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

Overclocking is always a concideration. At stock clocks the 8350 is about 4570s levels of performance but 8 threads instead of 4. If gaming is the main use of the system then the 8350 is going to be better than the 4670k going into the future, more games are becoming multithreaded and this puts the 8350 ahead of the i5's. Games from the last 5 years or so do tend to favor intels single threaded performance though.

You also should take into consideration the cost of motherboards, 990fx boards are usually abit cheaper than their intel z87 counterparts.

cheers for that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

For people who game and stream at the same damn time -.-

AMD is for people on a budget or need lots of cores. Intel is for people who need lower power consumption and single threaded performance(Dolphin, Planetside,ECT.) I play lots of emulators so I go Intel, but people who do lots of rendering and play modern games(bf4, AC4, ECT) should go AMD because of their great BangForYourBuck.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

If you are needing more power, a 2600k would be great.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Nothing. Theyre not even close to Intel.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-fx-8350-vs-intel-core-i7-3770k-4-8ghz-multi-gpu-gaming-performance/17494.html

"Future games 8 cores support blabla" <-> Mantle thats supposed to very cpu friendly is contradicting this.

could you stop being an intel fanboy for once? and stop using that outdated article

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

AMD is king of taking shortcuts and warping marketing to their advantage to make it look like they are keeping up. The 8350 is a 'fake' 8-core, they still market it as 8-core. It has 8 integer cores but only 4 floating point units. Their last FX chips were 32nm process node which is technologically inferior to Intel's 22nm at the time.

Their chipsets are also technologically much less advanced with far fewer features (lacking things to compare to Intel's Rapid Storage/ Rapid Start, fewer ports and less general bandwith allocations etc.) than comparative Intel chipsets, and they allow motherboard partners to use cheaper hardware on the entry level which invariably leads to higher black numbers/ RMA rate, but has a positive effect on perceived value to the customer.

The 8350 is cheaper, but it's cheaper for a reason.

So to summarize, AMD makes sense to people who ignore anything but staying relevant on raw performance and also want value, and don't really care about value-add features, hardware longevity or a refined ecosystem.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.