Premiere Pro, scale 1080p to 4K or 4K to 1080?

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
4 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

Hey Ryan :) Havent seen you for a while haha

Would using the scale to frame function on a 1080p -> 4k clip create any pixelation? Or does premire work differently from the way im thinking? Im afraid that essentially blowing up a 1080p clip into 4k will introduce pixelation because the image is getting stretched 4x than it actually is. If that makes sense. Kind of rambling now lol.

I'm not sure what scaling premiere uses for video, if it's nearest neighbour, linear, etc.  I would guess linear.  Of course 1080p footage will not look as good as 4K footage when viewed on a screen that can actually show you the difference, but it may be worth being able to get more out of the rest of the footage.  You will have to decide that.  For example, if the low res footage makes up just a small part of the overall project, like the 6 o'clock news showing a grainy smartphone video shot vertically, then you would just insert that, understanding that it's a small piece and there's nothing you can do about it.  You wouldn't downscale the whole project to match that lowest denominator just so it's all equal.  However, if it's a considerable potion of the total, perhaps you want to accept that that's the best you can export and scale down the rest to match.

~Hello mods! There seems to be no video/image editing software subs other than software, but it’s more about the software itself and less about specific questions, please move my thread if needed :) thanks!~

Hey guys! I’m currently editing a video for my senior year. I’ve got 4K@30 drone footage, 4K@30 footage from an a7riii, and 1080@120 from the a7riii. Currently starting to edit. The video will be played on phones, laptops, and a projector. Very few, if any monitors at all will be more than 1440p. Projector is 1080 Would it be better  to scale my 4K footage down to a 1080p timeline in premiere pro, or scale up 1080p  footage to a 4K timetime. Just trying to figure out what would create the best image quality, not worried about export times or anything all all since I’m using proxy footage for 4K.

thank you!

Well, a 4K timeline would be ideal then since you've got 4K input and maintaining that is obviously gonna be better than not maintaining it.  But with that said, my choice in this situation would be to target 1080p.  It's going to be less data, less processing power, and especially if your targeted devices aren't going to be able to take advantage of more anyway, it wouldn't seem worth it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, a 4K timeline would be ideal then since you've got 4K input and maintaining that is obviously gonna be better than not maintaining it.  But with that said, my choice in this situation would be to target 1080p.  It's going to be less data, less processing power, and especially if your targeted devices aren't going to be able to take advantage of more anyway, it wouldn't seem worth it.

Would using the scale to frame function on a 1080p -> 4k clip create any pixelation? Or does premire work differently from the way im thinking? Im afraid that essentially blowing up a 1080p clip into 4k will introduce pixelation because the image is getting stretched 4x than it actually is. If that makes sense. Kind of rambling now lol.

4 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

I'm not sure what scaling premiere uses for video, if it's nearest neighbour, linear, etc.  I would guess linear.  Of course 1080p footage will not look as good as 4K footage when viewed on a screen that can actually show you the difference, but it may be worth being able to get more out of the rest of the footage.  You will have to decide that.  For example, if the low res footage makes up just a small part of the overall project, like the 6 o'clock news showing a grainy smartphone video shot vertically, then you would just insert that, understanding that it's a small piece and there's nothing you can do about it.  You wouldn't downscale the whole project to match that lowest denominator just so it's all equal.  However, if it's a considerable potion of the total, perhaps you want to accept that that's the best you can export and scale down the rest to match.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 5/17/2019 at 1:26 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Ahh, gotcha. Most of my footage is 4k. I have a bit of cell phone footage in there so i may just scale everything down/up to 2k because its easier to edit + it will be mostly viewed at 1080p. 

Thanks man :)