Using two 160gb drives in raid 0 as the main drives (os) a good idea?

LuckyAsFox
Go to solution Solved by LuckyAsFox,
Just now, WereCatf said:

Well, that's a better option, though personally, I'd still recommend rather getting a 256GB or bigger SSD for your OS. You could still fit one or two of your most-played games on the SSD as well and you'd see a huge boost in loading-times.

Alright thanks

3 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Using two 160gb drives as an os main drive? 

If you are talking about mechanical HDDs, then no. Windows and all the various applications mostly consist of thousands of small files and RAID0 increases those mechanical drives' already-terrible latency even further, so it'd just slow everything down.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If you are talking about mechanical HDDs, then no. Windows and all the various applications mostly consist of thousands of small files and RAID0 increases those mechanical drives' already-terrible latency even further, so it'd just slow everything down.

Yeah, both those two 160gb drives are mechanical hard drives. So is there any way to speed up a mechanical hard drive?

4 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Yeah, both those two 160gb drives are mechanical hard drives. So is there any way to speed up a mechanical hard drive?

Yes, by replacing it with an SSD.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, by replacing it with an SSD.

Alright, So if I put those two 160gb drives in raid zero and install windows 10. It wouldn't make a difference, in fact, it will be slower. Is that what you mean?

Just now, LuckyAsFox said:

Alright, So if I put those two 160gb drives in raid zero and install windows 10. It wouldn't make a difference, in fact, it will be slower. Is that what you mean?

Yes. RAID0 only helps in sequential loads, not random, and lots of small files == random loads. Random loads will be even slower than before.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Yes. RAID0 only helps in sequential loads, not random, and lots of small files == random loads. Random loads will be even slower than before.

What if I use a single 1T and put my os on that drive and use the two 260gb raid 0 drives for something else like playing games? 

4 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

What if I use a single 1T and put my os on that drive and use the two 260gb raid 0 drives for something else like playing games? 

Well, that's a better option, though personally, I'd still recommend rather getting a 256GB or bigger SSD for your OS. You could still fit one or two of your most-played games on the SSD as well and you'd see a huge boost in loading-times.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Alright thanks

25 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

What else can I store on the two 160gb raid 0 drives. Are files alright? 

18 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

What else can I store on the two 160gb raid 0 drives. Are files alright? 

How old are those drives? Very old I assume? 

6 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

How old are those drives? Very old I assume? 

Not too sure. I was given them from a friend. I'm guessing there from around 2013 but have only been used for a year or two

7 minutes ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Not too sure. I was given them from a friend. I'm guessing there from around 2013 but have only been used for a year or two

Just make sure to do regular backup and you are good to go. I would use them to store bigger files, games.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Just make sure to do regular backup and you are good to go. I would use them to store bigger files, or games.

Alright, thanks. I'll maybe do that

1 hour ago, LuckyAsFox said:

Alternatively, if you're on intel's platform and your CPU is 8th gen or higher, you could use optane to accelerate your hard drives

2 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Alternatively, if you're on intel's platform and your CPU is 8th gen or higher, you could use optane to accelerate your hard drives

No, I'm using an Am3 motherboard so that's out of the question. lol