Getting FPS drops in all games after upgrading GPU

nitrox0

I upgraded my GPU to a 1080 and I get random fps drops in games I shouldn't be getting FPS drops in. It doesn't matter what in game graphics settings I use, I still get the drops. I've tried uninstalling then re installing new drivers, tampering with the Nvidia control panel, all my temps are fine, I've tried everything I can think of and browsed the internet for more info/help but to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated. 

My pc specs are 

zotac 1080 mini

16gb ram

core i7-6700 processor

6 minutes ago, nitrox0 said:

Probably just try reinstalling windows, it's the quickest solution to software issues.

Otherwise try dropping the power limit by like 30% or something and see if you keep getting drops.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably just try reinstalling windows, it's the quickest solution to software issues.

Otherwise try dropping the power limit by like 30% or something and see if you keep getting drops.

Stop giving this advice please, someone with your postcount should know better. It's a grugbrain nuclear option that is only reserved till the very, very last.

@nitrox0 Can you please take a look at my topic over here. Try out if it's a v-sync issue, and if not, provide information in the explained way. It's very difficult to diagnose otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Majestic said:

You can spend hours troubleshooting, or you can spend 30 minutes getting windows back up and running.

If it's happening in multiple games how would it be a V-sync issue?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can spend hours troubleshooting, or you can spend 30 minutes getting windows back up and running.

If it's happening in multiple games how would it be a V-sync issue?

Or you can spend 30 minutes also wasting your time.

V-sync is usually on by default. 

Just now, Majestic said:

Or you can spend 30 minutes also wasting your time.

V-sync is usually on by default. 

Reinstalling windows pretty much rules out a software issue, which is the whole point.

Otherwise isn't V-sync going to try and lock it to 60fps? Which should be no trouble for a 1080, assuming he's at 1080p or even 1440p without extreme settings.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Reinstalling windows pretty much rules out a software issue, which is the whole point.

Otherwise isn't V-sync going to try and lock it to 60fps? Which should be no trouble for a 1080, assuming he's at 1080p or even 1440p without extreme settings.

No he's made the same fucking post 4 times now. What is it with this website and bot accounts making phony posts. Is it people that actually think it's funny, or Linus making his forum more popular than it actually is. 

image.png.a7ed6356104f340a9d32b22ffb2ab57b.png

this isn't a bot account... not many people responded or what they said didn't work so I just made another post...

1 minute ago, nitrox0 said:

this isn't a bot account... not many people responded or what they said didn't work so I just made another post...

Well did you try reinstalling windows yet?

You can also boot up a Linux USB and run a game to see if it's windows related.

Spoiler

I haven't had time to re install yet, I'll do it when i get back from work tomorrow. I don't have V-sync enabled either. Maybe I need a new monitor? I really dunno.

Monitor has nothing to do with FPS drops, so no, you do not need to change thst for this specific reason. Did you simply reinstall the drivers or used DDU? If not, then either do DDU or to be completely on the safe side windows reinstall. Best solution to drivers issues most of the time.

I did DDU and re-install nvidia drivers but still no change, I'll just re-install windows at the weekend when i've got time.