Blue Yeti Sounds Bad Through Other People's PCs But Not To OBS or Audacity

I use my Yeti for everything chat related. It sounds amazing through apps on my PC like Audacity and OBS. It sounds almost top notch through those. But, when I use anything to chat to others: Fortnite, Discord, Overwatch, or Team speak, it sounds like garbage. I watch my friends videos with me in them and I cringe because of how much worse it sounds through those apps and games. I wouldn't think that it is because of the apps because all of my friends have much worse of a mic but they sounds really good and the same through OBS and Fortnite. Also, I ask what mic some people use through things such as random squads, and they sometimes say Blue Yeti. Why does their's sound so much better? I know I don't have a faulty mic because as stated before, OBS and Audacity record my mic amazingly. How can I fix this? I have tried tons of gain and Windows volume settings, voicemeeter, and sitting at different distances from the mic. 

I would guess it's a setting in the app that is adjusting or degrading the audio.  Just because you hear them well doesn't necessarily mean they will hear you well because you can control what processing is done.  I'd start by making sure you're all using the same settings.  If you are, then you can probably rule that out.  At that point I would wonder if maybe those apps are grabbing a different mic signal, for example if you're on a laptop that also has a built in one.  It sounds like you know what you're doing so I doubt this but it's the only thing coming to mind.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would guess it's a setting in the app that is adjusting or degrading the audio.  Just because you hear them well doesn't necessarily mean they will hear you well because you can control what processing is done.  I'd start by making sure you're all using the same settings.  If you are, then you can probably rule that out.  At that point I would wonder if maybe those apps are grabbing a different mic signal, for example if you're on a laptop that also has a built in one.  It sounds like you know what you're doing so I doubt this but it's the only thing coming to mind.

I already disabled all other inputs and all of the apps I use have the Yeti as the device, and Fortnite doesn't have voice chat settings so I don't know what else could be causing it. Does WiFi effect mic quality a lot?

Just now, Classica said:

I already disabled all other inputs and all of the apps I use have the Yeti as the device, and Fortnite doesn't have voice chat settings so I don't know what else could be causing it. Does WiFi effect mic quality a lot?

Not intrinsically, but it's possible that the app is deciding to increase compression based on network conditions, so if it was particularly bad, or their thresholds were off, that could do it I suppose.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Classica said:

I use my Yeti for everything chat related. It sounds amazing through apps on my PC like Audacity and OBS. It sounds almost top notch through those. But, when I use anything to chat to others: Fortnite, Discord, Overwatch, or Team speak, it sounds like garbage. I watch my friends videos with me in them and I cringe because of how much worse it sounds through those apps and games. I wouldn't think that it is because of the apps because all of my friends have much worse of a mic but they sounds really good and the same through OBS and Fortnite. Also, I ask what mic some people use through things such as random squads, and they sometimes say Blue Yeti. Why does their's sound so much better? I know I don't have a faulty mic because as stated before, OBS and Audacity record my mic amazingly. How can I fix this? I have tried tons of gain and Windows volume settings, voicemeeter, and sitting at different distances from the mic. 

thats just how your friend's are processing audio. in general audio just becomes worse when put trough the internet because it has to be compressed and processed trough your pc to a server then to you friend's pc.

for example when you watch your friends videos do they sound as good to you through discord as they do through their video?

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

for example when you watch your friends videos do they sound as good to you through discord as they do through their video?

Yeah they sound the same

5 minutes ago, Classica said:

Yeah they sound the same

thats weird then. personally Im not too experienced at this just shooting out my theories. also unstable internet connection could possibly affect it especially on discord.

Just now, rice guru said:

thats weird then. personally Im not too experienced at this just shooting out my theories. also unstable internet connection could possibly affect it especially on discord.

Yeah that's basically the only thing left that could be causing it. But someone who had 900 ping still sounded good so maybe it's my upload speed or something.

1 minute ago, Classica said:

Yeah that's basically the only thing left that could be causing it. But someone who had 900 ping still sounded good so maybe it's my upload speed or something.

if your buddy has a yeti see if you can borrow his or bring yours over to his house if possible and test it that way 

10 minutes ago, rice guru said:

if your buddy has a yeti see if you can borrow his or bring yours over to his house if possible and test it that way 

Not anyone that I know of has one. Btw I just started a stream to see how it sounds from OBS to see if my internet is causing it. It still sounds really good thorugh the stream so I guess the only thing left is the way games compress the sound. It's still weird how it only happens to me.

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

thats just how your friend's are processing audio. in general audio just becomes worse when put trough the internet because it has to be compressed and processed trough your pc to a server then to you friend's pc.

Well, it shouldn't necessarily have to.  Although that is often the experience, when you look at the data rates involved, there's really no reason it should have to sound different.  For example, 192 kbit/s mp3 is generally considered the point where most normal people don't notice an improvement with additional bitrate (experienced audiophiles not withstanding).  That's for a stereo stream, so when dealing with a mic, you can cut that in half to 96 kbit/s.  Even a poor internet connection should offer 500 kbit/s uploads, if not more like 1000 or 10000.  Then, when you consider there are codecs these days that preserve more quality with less data than mp3, it's easy to see how it should be easily possible to maintain an audio stream without taking a hit that makes it sound like a cell phone call.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, it shouldn't necessarily have to.  Although that is often the experience, when you look at the data rates involved, there's really no reason it should have to sound different.  For example, 192 kbit/s mp3 is generally considered the point where most normal people don't notice an improvement with additional bitrate (experienced audiophiles not withstanding).  That's for a stereo stream, so when dealing with a mic, you can cut that in half to 96 kbit/s.  Even a poor internet connection should offer 500 kbit/s uploads, if not more like 1000 or 10000.  Then, when you consider there are codecs these days that preserve more quality with less data than mp3, it's easy to see how it should be easily possible to maintain an audio stream without taking a hit that makes it sound like a cell phone call.

yes bu the root of the problem is he is comparing it to raw audio he is processing himself through different prgrams likeOBS. discod and gamestend to fuck with audio to preserve bandwith or other reasons like noise fitration and such

yes bu the root of the problem is he is comparing it to raw audio he is processing himself through different prgrams likeOBS. discod and gamestend to fuck with audio to preserve bandwith or other reasons like noise fitration and such

Yeah I'm thinking it could be one of those settings.  We know that it should at least be possible to sound good since his recordings sound good locally, proving his hardware is fine, and his friends sound good, proving the program is capable of doing it right, so I'm not sure what else that leaves.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I'm thinking it could be one of those settings.  We know that it should at least be possible to sound good since his recordings sound good locally, proving his hardware is fine, and his friends sound good, proving the program is capable of doing it right, so I'm not sure what else that leaves.

upload speed probably. I womder if prgranms and games could sense poor upload speed and in order to compensate they compromise on other aspects

upload speed probably. I womder if prgranms and games could sense poor upload speed and in order to compensate they compromise on other aspects

Yeah that could do it, it's just hard to believe it could be poor enough to matter, given the numbers I mentioned before.  That is, unless the program is super oversensitive and considers something to be "low speed" far too easily as I mentioned above.

• 6 months later...
On 5/11/2019 at 11:13 PM, Classica said:

I’m having the same problem, did you manage to find a fix?