Has PIA gotten worse in 2019?

DeepFriendLettuce
Go to solution Solved by DeepFriendLettuce,
On 5/10/2019 at 3:10 PM, Scheer said:

If anything I've noticed its gotten a lot better recently. In the past few years I'd usually get around 60-80 down and 5-10 up, now I rarely ever drop below 200 down and 10 up.

Thanks for responding back to me on this issue. After hearing back from you guys/ladies, I searched throughout my system and forgot that I had installed this "GameFirst V" software that came with the utility drivers of my system. The Network monitor on this software was throttling my stream and file transfer connections down to 16x2Mbps....

Once I removed this, I started seeing speeds like the following:
image.png.7835d1cceaa25d6ab060719260f3cb3a.png

I feel like a dummy for not catching this sooner, but I'm glad I reached out about it to get your feedback instead of just continuing to assume it was PIA... 

Just curious for anyone that has a PIA account. Has anyone else noticed that the PIA speeds gotten quite a bit worse over the last several months? 

Through my ISP, I'm getting speeds of 175Mbps x 15mbps. NOt the greatest by any means, but it's the best that is offered in my area. With PIA, each server I've tried I haven't managed to get 15x8Mbps. Today is especially bad at literally 3x8Mbps. 

I've tried this across several PIA servers both within my own state and nearby states with pings anywhere from 67-90ms. Overall, the avg. I've been getting is around 8x8Mbps on most days. Again, over the last few months.

How has PIA been working for you guys?

I have no issues 90% of the time. Every now and then I get a slow down or need to switch servers, but auto works fine most of the time.

Had PIA for about 4 years now.

39 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

I have no issues 90% of the time. Every now and then I get a slow down or need to switch servers, but auto works fine most of the time.

Had PIA for about 4 years now.

I've been having it for over a year now, switched from IP Vanish. I've used multiple servers but the speeds are pretty consistent regardless of which server I try.

Not sure what to tell you.

Just used FL (not in FL but on the east coast) and got 45D/11U. I pay for about 150 down, and this seems a bit slow for normal day to day.

2 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Not sure what to tell you.

Just used FL (not in FL but on the east coast) and got 45D/11U. I pay for about 150 down, and this seems a bit slow for normal day to day.

Florida is about 10 hours, by car, away from me, but that has been the best one for me as of late @15D/6U. 
Atlanta, Chicago, Texas, Houston, Denver were all giving me a bit less. I used to get upwards of 75D/12U. Sadly I haven't seen that probably since late last year.

3 hours ago, Phenix51 said:

Just curious for anyone that has a PIA account. Has anyone else noticed that the PIA speeds gotten quite a bit worse over the last several months? 

Through my ISP, I'm getting speeds of 175Mbps x 15mbps. NOt the greatest by any means, but it's the best that is offered in my area. With PIA, each server I've tried I haven't managed to get 15x8Mbps. Today is especially bad at literally 3x8Mbps. 

I've tried this across several PIA servers both within my own state and nearby states with pings anywhere from 67-90ms. Overall, the avg. I've been getting is around 8x8Mbps on most days. Again, over the last few months.

PIA works just fine for me. I'm on Vancouver Island which means that connections to Seattle are faster than connections to Vancouver... because raisins? Actually because I'm guessing the route to Seattle from Victoria, BC is faster than the route to Vancouver, but anywho. We pay for 300 down / 20 up and get very close to full speeds when I use PIA's Seattle server, so it seems to be working nice and fine.

image.png.d30c6ad04107007befcb73ecb421394f.png

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 hours ago, kirashi said:

We pay for 300 down / 20 up and get very close to full speeds when I use PIA's Seattle server, so it seems to be working nice and fine.

Yep, I normally get close to my advertised provider speeds even through the VPN.

If anything I've noticed its gotten a lot better recently. In the past few years I'd usually get around 60-80 down and 5-10 up, now I rarely ever drop below 200 down and 10 up.

Man that's just really bumming me out. I'm not sure why I'm not getting those same speeds...
With PIA (I just uninstalled and reinstalled the application).
image.png.36ef1f53b9c132ef190074807d25fcf8.png

Without using PIA

image.png.04cad8e57d3c945b695e4dae1d53a2c4.png

On 5/10/2019 at 3:10 PM, Scheer said:

Thanks for responding back to me on this issue. After hearing back from you guys/ladies, I searched throughout my system and forgot that I had installed this "GameFirst V" software that came with the utility drivers of my system. The Network monitor on this software was throttling my stream and file transfer connections down to 16x2Mbps....

Once I removed this, I started seeing speeds like the following:
image.png.7835d1cceaa25d6ab060719260f3cb3a.png

I feel like a dummy for not catching this sooner, but I'm glad I reached out about it to get your feedback instead of just continuing to assume it was PIA... 

PIA is way worse than it used to be for me,

Also the update to the Chrome extension has made it completely unusable, I have to disable the extension instead of just clicking on and off to use soo many sites.

22 hours ago, Steve.604 said:

PIA is way worse than it used to be for me,

Also the update to the Chrome extension has made it completely unusable, I have to disable the extension instead of just clicking on and off to use soo many sites.

I haven't used the chrome extension so I can't speak to that, but in my case it was just the "GameFirst V" software that came with my MOBO that was causing my issue. I guess that software was viewing the data from PIA as either streaming or file transfer since those were the only two options listed, for me, at ~16x2Mbps. 16x2Mbps was the speaks I was typically reaching while connected to PIA servers.
Since I've disabled that, I've been getting close to my full amount, so far anyway!  PX

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 5:57 PM, Phenix51 said:

IDK about a chrome extension but it doesn't matter if the PIA app keeps reconnecting like it does with me.

I actually got on here to look for help with this and yes it does seem to be getting far worse for me but mostly during the last few weeks, prior to that I hadn't been using PIA regularly on all of my devices.

I decided to start upgrading everything to be more secure and now i'm getting this reconnect ion and speeds issue ?

Most sites are connection-dependent..... I mean.... if your connection is spotty or intermittent then weird things happen.... for example while typing this reply, i typed in a smilie and then due to the connection problem, chrome wouldn't do anything with the left and right arrow keys *facepalm*

******** My situation is that I have several devices with Verizon Wireless and I use all of them with the 15GB/each hotspot for my internet.  It is far more reliable and portable for me to do this.  __but__ if I turn off the PIA then my Hotspot speeds are fantastic and fully reliable.  I've tested this several times tonight before making this post and every time is the same.

*Edit* -- my tests are to just stay connected online and do connection intensive tasks such as load a kickstarter page ( this is great for testing connectivity issues as they usually are rather large single pages with images ) or just keep making smilies in the text box on this forum and as it tries to convert the smilies to images then try using the left and right arrow keys...

@PrivateInternetAccess: please help us ;-(