Some Scammer on the MSI forums is asking people to PAY him to unlock laptop BIOSES. I did mine for free.

BleachedFur

The notebookreview moderators will instantly delete his posts and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't banned from the MSI forums already.

For the REST of you, SVET is a very valuable resource.  I actually *bricked* the intel management engine in my own MSIbook completely, no 30 minute timeout, but it was impossible to restore.  Prema from notebookreview couldn't restore it.  Plutomaniac (forgot the name but the main Intel ME guy from win-raid) couldn't restore it; all the tools kept saying it was stuck in an "error state."  They were saying I would probably need to hardware flash it, as all software, even EFI tools were failing.  Even the MSI flasher was not restoring it.  SVET was the only person who managed to restore it without me having to buy tools and risk losing my SMBUS data.  And I donated to SVET after he fixed it (it was my choice).

People need to do their research before they start writing troll posts.

18 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

The notebookreview moderators will instantly delete his posts and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't banned from the MSI forums already.

For the REST of you, SVET is a very valuable resource.  I actually *bricked* the intel management engine in my own MSIbook completely, no 30 minute timeout, but it was impossible to restore.  Prema from notebookreview couldn't restore it.  Plutomaniac (forgot the name but the main Intel ME guy from win-raid) couldn't restore it; all the tools kept saying it was stuck in an "error state."  They were saying I would probably need to hardware flash it, as all software, even EFI tools were failing.  Even the MSI flasher was not restoring it.  SVET was the only person who managed to restore it without me having to buy tools and risk losing my SMBUS data.  And I donated to SVET after he fixed it (it was my choice).

The guy might be very skilled. And I personally very much support anyone who wants to charge money for a skill they posses - whether that’s graphic design or bios modding. 

But we have an open forum here. The OP will not be punished. Nor should he be, as he is breaking no rules. You are free to discuss in the thread and share why you think the OP is wrong.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

For the REST of you, SVET is a very valuable resource.  I actually *bricked* the intel management engine in my own MSIbook completely, no 30 minute timeout, but it was impossible to restore. 

PCI flashing cards are like $15 bucks man, cheaper than paying some tax-evading loser to fix your lame laptop

7 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

you need to calm your tatas and realie this isn't a troll post. you seriously need to take a big ass chill pill.

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

But we have an open forum here. The OP will not be punished. Nor should he be, as he is breaking no rules. You are free to discuss in the thread and share why you think the OP is wrong.

i mean this guy has even less chill than I do lol, openly discussing moderation of users is against the rules sooooooooo, if anyone's getting banned....

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You are free to discuss in the thread and share why you think the OP is wrong.

yeet

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

15 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Reporting the OP for troll posting.

calling people trolls and openly discussing the moderation of users is against the community standards. Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

What does having an unlocked laptop BIOS do? Is it just clearing a BIOS password or does it unlock features?

Just now, jefire411 said:

Is it just clearing a BIOS password or does it unlock features?

if you watched the video in the first post you'd see.

It usually unlocks additional features like overclocking. My Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 is a recent example, even though it uses the H170M chipset there are BCLK OC options in the BIOS...I just gotta remove flash write protection.

This topic hasn't been going anywhere good. Finding a guide to do something for free that other people are paying for is fine, and sharing that guide is also fine. However, attacking people, regardless of whether they are part of this forum, by calling them a scammer and a "tax evading loser", is not fine. From our Community Standards

Generally speaking, as long as you stick to the following core principles you should not find yourself subject to disciplinary action:

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

A topic discussing the guide would have been fine, but a topic that just contains posts attacking and defending someone is not ok. You would not want other people talking about you like that; please extend that courtesy to other people, whether on the forum or out in the real world.

To be clear, I am not taking a stance on whether what they are doing is right or not—some of the comments in this topic are unacceptable regardless.

This topic is now locked.

HTTP/2 203