Comcast Throttling

gutz00

Hi, 

I've been doing a lot of large downloads and uploads recently on my home network. And these appear slow, so I will run a speed test and they magically get the speeds I pay for while the speed test occurs. So I recently began to use my PIA vpn more often and woah... I'm getting the speeds I pay for?!? How crazy, right?

Has anyone else had this problem with Comcast or any ISP for that matter.

I know they have gotten wise and can detect when a speed test occurs. But it's beyond ridiculous - it brings my speed from many Mbps to a few Kbps.

FYI - I generally use a wired connection. 

Edited by gutz00
Clarity

3 minutes ago, gutz00 said:

Comcast and some other ISPs located on the East Coast love to throttle. I've never experienced it with Spectrum though in SoCal. 

Without net neutrality, there isn't much that can be done. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

East Coast

Midwest - Chicago Suburbs... maybe a bullet flew through a cable or something. ? 

It's probably the difference between megabits and megabytes. Your download speed should be 1/8 of the speed. So a ISP at 100 Mbps (megabits per second) will download a files at 100/8 = 12.5Mb/s

Even with a VPN I get throttled. But that might be because I live in the oldest part of town, everything is underground and no one wants to run fiber or at least replace the old copper. I'm stuck with one ISP because of it, and boy does it suck ass. Also you might get throttled if you go over a certain amount of gigabytes within a pay period, so you using a VPN makes it appear as though you're not where you really are, and trick the ISP into giving you the rated speeds again (that's a guess, I could be totally wrong).

1 minute ago, MrWittel said:

So a ISP at 100 Mbps (megabits per second) will download a files at 100/8 = 12.5Mb/s

I am currently seeing a speed if about 12 killobits per second without my VPN - closer to 25-30 megabits per second with the vpn

Just now, gutz00 said:

I am currently seeing a speed if about 12 killobits per second without my VPN - closer to 25-30 megabits per second with the vpn

This sounds more like my theory of going over a certain amount of data within a pay period. After the next pay period (or two) it should reset and you'd see normal speeds again. (just my theory, that's what my ISP has written in their own fineprint)

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

This sounds more like my theory of going over a certain amount of data within a pay period.

Ha! I wish I was close to my cap.

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 7.06.57 PM.png

5 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

you might get throttled if you go over a certain amount of gigabytes within a pay period, so you using a VPN makes it appear as though you're not where you really are, and trick the ISP into giving you the rated speeds again (that's a guess, I could be totally wrong).

Nah, comcast just tacks on charges to your bill if you exceed 1TB in a pay period. Using a vpn all your traffic is encrypted so they can see that you're pushing and pulling data, but can't identify it to selectively throttle it, at which point they either throttle it all or not.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

On 5/7/2019 at 7:45 PM, gutz00 said:

Hi, 

I've been doing a lot of large downloads and uploads recently on my home network. And these appear slow, so I will run a speed test and they magically get the speeds I pay for while the speed test occurs. So I recently began to use my PIA vpn more often and woah... I'm getting the speeds I pay for?!? How crazy, right?

I know they have gotten wise and can detect when a speed test occurs. But it's beyond ridiculous - it brings my speed from many Mbps to a few Kbps.

FYI - I generally use a wired connection. 

Comcast does throttle. They got caught many years back throttle bit torrent traffic. Actually it was the FCC that caught them. They are the reason why the NN rules went in to effect. Due to Comcast's throttling Netflix had to pay a toll so its users on the Comcast network would get a good experience. So I would say depending on what type of traffic your generating could be why your getting throttled. 

On 5/7/2019 at 8:04 PM, TempestCatto said:

This sounds more like my theory of going over a certain amount of data within a pay period. After the next pay period (or two) it should reset and you'd see normal speeds again. (just my theory, that's what my ISP has written in their own fineprint)

No they just throttle certain traffic. Because they are bastards. Why would they care about how much data you use when they have a 1 TB cap. Once you pass your cap is $10 for every 50 Gigs. OR you can pay $50 extra a month for "Unlimited' which is about 10 TB of data, after that kind of usage you might get an angry call. Just from what I have read. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.