OTA TV antennas

Two questions with this...

1. Is there any way to discern which antennas available online are of good quality and which are junk, because there is a massively wide range of prices. I watch no television but using TVFool, I've confirmed that the handful of local news and other channels I want are all within range with even the weakest indoor antennas (outdoor isn't possible for me in my building). It's for checking local news, local sports, those are all accessible to me according to the charts I saw for my address and where the antenna would go.

2. Does my MAG254 give me any way to record OTA TV? Is that possible or do I need some special DVR to do that?

Thanks!

what signal are you receiving? for VHF helical models are the most effective, if you put it in your balcony or near a window it'll probably receive signals with less noise

about recording afaik you'll need a DVR with hard drive or a tv tuner that can record stuff to your PC, I have a PCI-e one and the included software can be used to record stuff in mp4

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

On 5/3/2019 at 6:44 PM, tinpanalley said:

Two questions with this...

1. Is there any way to discern which antennas available online are of good quality and which are junk, because there is a massively wide range of prices. I watch no television but using TVFool, I've confirmed that the handful of local news and other channels I want are all within range with even the weakest indoor antennas (outdoor isn't possible for me in my building). It's for checking local news, local sports, those are all accessible to me according to the charts I saw for my address and where the antenna would go.

2. Does my MAG254 give me any way to record OTA TV? Is that possible or do I need some special DVR to do that?

Thanks!

Ive heard that antenna's direct and Channel Master have good shit. I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RFLXE0A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 this and it works well. Personally just read the reviews. 

Unless the MAG254 has Coax in then no it wont record. There are several options for DVR's for OTA TV. Channel master, TIVO, etc. I personally have a Network TV Tuner and a Plex server that does my DVR for me. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 5/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, Donut417 said:

Unless the MAG254 has Coax in then no it wont record. There are several options for DVR's for OTA TV. Channel master, TIVO, etc. I personally have a Network TV Tuner and a Plex server that does my DVR for me. 

Ok, no it doesn't. I just thought things had moved on from coax for DVR.

Great. I saw a lot of antennas like the one you're mentioning and figured they'd be fine. Thanks!