Bring Back Forum Access to Floatplane

Giiman95
Go to solution Solved by Giiman95,

Hi all. I have an update on the situation with the forum.

Per Floatplane Support:

“The sub forum is being closed so they can work on a player that is backwards-compatible with Floatplane.com (No ETA, unfortunately).”

I followed up and confirmed if the sub-forum would be coming back. 

“Temporary from what we last heard. Linus mentioned re-opening the subforum with a different player sometime in the future.”

@Colnel_Mortis mentioned that they closed the sub forum due to people who were not paying for access had access. At least now we know their is hope for the sub-forum. 

Hopefully, with the support of the rest of the Floatplane members, we can convince the Floatplane team and LMG that the sub forum is worth their time.

Bring Back Forum Access to Floatplane  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Voice Your Opinion

• Please bring it back!!!
    • Floatplane Alpha will do.

The forum was my favorite feature. Plus, some videos are only available on the forum. Vote to try to get forum access back.

Hear our pleas all mighty Floatplane Staff!!!

6 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Can't you still watch Floatplane videos from the forum threads that they're posted in?

They've been having issues with the forum integration.

2 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Watch on the Floatplane alpha site:

(having a technical issue with embedding FP videos in forum posts right now)

I could be wrong, but I think I remember them saying that if you signed up via the website, or switched your account over to the website from the forums, since the forum section is going away soon, then you wouldn't be able to access the forum section anymore and only have the floatplane.com side to view & watch and chat/interact. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

I could be wrong, but I think I remember them saying that if you signed up via the website, or switched your account over to the website from the forums, since the forum section is going away soon, then you wouldn't be able to access the forum section anymore and only have the floatplane.com side to view & watch and chat/interact. 

Ah. I guess I can see it because I got my FP via Bronze.

It has been long known that FloatPlane would have a limited lifespan within the LTTForum and will be eventually seperated from the forum.

Using the forum was a way for the developers to get the best exposre and feedback before lauching the beta public site. Once the launch and the following migration took place that FP would no longer be available in forum.

I don't mean to be blunt but this post will not have much in the way of influencing LMG/FP in continuing to post videos in the FP section. Once the migration is over and everything is solid and stable, there will be no more reason to continue posting in the FP section. Unless FP or LMG decide to change their minds, of which I doubt, since they have been adament about the road laid out on its development.

If I am incorrect, I apologize, but I will do you all a favor and tag those that would know.

@colonel_mortis

@Slick

@LinusTech

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If the forum is really gone than I would say it's a bit premature. The dedicated website is not in a complete enough state to switch over to fully imo. There is too much dead space at the side of the screen, scaling is terrible, no true dark mode. Most of all I hate browsing videos by giant thumbnails in a grid pattern, there should be a list mode. 

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Can't you still watch Floatplane videos from the forum threads that they're posted in?

No. All videos on LTT Floatplane seem to be inaccessible through Forum now.All of my posts in Floatplane are inaccessible as well. Guess I should’ve used the download option.

I think forum option was discussed by Luke at some point. But its unsure if it will be a thing after all forum-users lose access. Or other than forum subs. Personally I don't really care otherwise. But downloading through actual site doesn't give me video titles for files.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Right now, the forum section is still up for people who are subscribed through the forum. It was never meant to be available for people whose payments were migrated to the new site, but due to a bug that case wasn't being handled correctly. That bug has been (mostly) corrected, which is why you lost access yesterday.

There is currently no way for the forum to synchronise payment status from the Floatplane site to the forum, so your access to Floatplane on the forum was not able to verify that you had actually paid, hence it had to be stopped.

Some extremely old videos may be only available on the forum, but all videos released since the Floatplane site launched are available there.

If you have feedback about why you preferred the forum, I'm sure the Floatplane team (which I am not part of) would be interested to know, but it is one of those things that you will likely get used to quite quickly.

HTTP/2 203

Hi all. I have an update on the situation with the forum.

Per Floatplane Support:

“The sub forum is being closed so they can work on a player that is backwards-compatible with Floatplane.com (No ETA, unfortunately).”

I followed up and confirmed if the sub-forum would be coming back. 

“Temporary from what we last heard. Linus mentioned re-opening the subforum with a different player sometime in the future.”

@Colnel_Mortis mentioned that they closed the sub forum due to people who were not paying for access had access. At least now we know their is hope for the sub-forum. 

Hopefully, with the support of the rest of the Floatplane members, we can convince the Floatplane team and LMG that the sub forum is worth their time.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2019 at 1:04 PM, colonel_mortis said:

Right now, the forum section is still up for people who are subscribed through the forum. It was never meant to be available for people whose payments were migrated to the new site, but due to a bug that case wasn't being handled correctly. That bug has been (mostly) corrected, which is why you lost access yesterday.

There is currently no way for the forum to synchronise payment status from the Floatplane site to the forum, so your access to Floatplane on the forum was not able to verify that you had actually paid, hence it had to be stopped.

Some extremely old videos may be only available on the forum, but all videos released since the Floatplane site launched are available there.

If you have feedback about why you preferred the forum, I'm sure the Floatplane team (which I am not part of) would be interested to know, but it is one of those things that you will likely get used to quite quickly.

The forum comments were so much nicer to thumb through than the comments on Floatplane. People bring more of themselves to the forums in terms of signature, profile pictures, etc. Just has a different, better feel to it.