Tips for playing Rainbow Six Siege with a controller

I have got myself an Xbox 360 controller and i would like to use it to play R6, however I'm struggling to catch up with the change maybe because i haven't played an FPS game using a controller in like 2 years now. Back then I used to be good at FPS games like call of duty with the controller and i thought it might be comfortable to play R6 using a controller as well. I find myself mostly having trouble leaning and hitting moving targets since you have to ADS and do the lean with the sticks. I find it difficult to do it fast in a heated fight. For starting the game with a controller what tips can u give and what settings do u use when u play. Thanks  

7 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

i thought it might be comfortable to play R6 using a controller 

mostly if you play with controller against keyboard and mouse you'd be at a disadvantage. Think r6 on console is plagued with people who manage to connect mice and keyboard and abuse the unfair advantage(since you can aim more quickly and accurately with mouse).

Rainbow 6 has a very robust control scheme, is there a particular reason you need or prefer a controller?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Hi there Shammikit. Hope you are doing well.

I also haven't played FPS games on the controller for many years. When I moved back into PC gaming I found myself very disadvantaged when using it. That being said, I'm unaware of what platform you're on. However, talking about that is for another day.

In my personal experience, here are some things that worked for me. 

1: Go into some terrorist hunt missions and practice, practice, practice.

2: Make some adjustments to your sensitivity and controller/keybinds, using the stick to lean will make it harder to aim most likely and you might find it better for you to change the leaning buttons to something like the d-pad. 

3: Maybe consider a cheap keyboard and mouse (if you're playing on PC). I know keyboard and mouse gaming is hard to get used to however.  I also know Console siege is also full of people who use keyboard and mouse to gain an advantage, whether you'd want to do the same for the console is up to you, however many people call that cheating. 

4: Patience. A lot of the people you're playing against might have been there since year one. We're on the 4th year of R6:S now so you'll most likely be at a disadvantage to start with. They have years of controller and operator experience. When you're feeling confident. maybe play a ranked match too. It's full of higher skilled players and is just good to see how they aim and peek corners etc. They are pretty good to learn from. 

Hope this helps.

10 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

For starting the game with a controller what tips can u give and what settings do u use when u play. 

None really, like _d0nut said you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage. The only games controllers are good for on PC are racing sims/car games. In my opinion it's a cardinal sin to play any competitive shooter on PC with a controller.... JK but seriously. Honestly instead of trying to learn how to use the controller better, why not just practice with mouse and keyboard?

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Rainbow 6 has a very robust control scheme, is there a particular reason you need or prefer a controller?

i used to be good with the controller in FPS games more than in keyboard and mouse. so that's why i thought of giving it a try here in R6.

Just now, Shammikit said:

i used to be good with the controller in FPS games more than in keyboard and mouse. so that's why i thought of giving it a try here in R6.

Now actually might be a perfect opportunity to jump to KB/M, the learning curve will be hard but is very well worth it as aiming is more precise than using sticks. Also a lot of the older FPS games like CoD have aim assist. R6 does not, hence why you might be finding it a lot harder.

5 minutes ago, IPickle said:

Hi there Shammikit. Hope you are doing well.

I also haven't played FPS games on the controller for many years. When I moved back into PC gaming I found myself very disadvantaged when using it. That being said, I'm unaware of what platform you're on. However, talking about that is for another day.

In my personal experience, here are some things that worked for me. 

1: Go into some terrorist hunt missions and practice, practice, practice.

2: Make some adjustments to your sensitivity and controller/keybinds, using the stick to lean will make it harder to aim most likely and you might find it better for you to change the leaning buttons to something like the d-pad. 

3: Maybe consider a cheap keyboard and mouse (if you're playing on PC). I know keyboard and mouse gaming is hard to get used to however.  I also know Console siege is also full of people who use keyboard and mouse to gain an advantage, whether you'd want to do the same for the console is up to you, however many people call that cheating. 

4: Patience. A lot of the people you're playing against might have been there since year one. We're on the 4th year of R6:S now so you'll most likely be at a disadvantage to start with. They have years of controller and operator experience. When you're feeling confident. maybe play a ranked match too. It's full of higher skilled players and is just good to see how they aim and peek corners etc. They are pretty good to learn from. 

Hope this helps.

yea i have been playing nothing but terrorist hunt for the past couple of days. the default sensitivity feels alright to me but is it possible to change the lean to D-pad? i think ubisoft has disabled mapping of the keys in controller

Just now, Shammikit said:

yea i have been playing nothing but terrorist hunt for the past couple of days. the default sensitivity feels alright to me but is it possible to change the lean to D-pad? i think ubisoft has disabled mapping of the keys in controller

You using PC or console. I believe that PC will have some software to help with remapping keys

Just now, IPickle said:

You using PC or console. I believe that PC will have some software to help with remapping keys

its PC, would i be caught for cheating in battle eye if i use such software

1 minute ago, Shammikit said:

its PC, would i be caught for cheating in battle eye if i use such software

I wouldn't believe so as it isn't like you're getting an unfair advantage from it. Plus I'm sure Battleye are only going to ban someone for using something which alters the game code or ruins the experience for others. Changing settings on your input device would not be considered cheating. (You're essentially using the equivalent of Razer Synapse, Logitech G Hub etc.) but just a controller version if you get what I mean.

17 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

Controller is an option in PVE Games.

R6 is a PVP Game. So you pretty much suck against the experienced, normal players.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

9 minutes ago, IPickle said:

I wouldn't believe so as it isn't like you're getting an unfair advantage from it. Plus I'm sure Battleye are only going to ban someone for using something which alters the game code or ruins the experience for others. Changing settings on your input device would not be considered cheating. (You're essentially using the equivalent of Razer Synapse, Logitech G Hub etc.) but just a controller version if you get what I mean.

dont know if true, but i saw somewhere that people who used macros stored on their input devices to lean and crouch spam had got banned. I know this remapping of a key isn't something like that but who knows if i get unlucky for such a thing. I'll first try my best to learn the controls the way as it is now, the ADS on the sticks is whats troubling me. if it doesnt work out i'll see if a key mapping software is available

Tip 1: Store the controller safely, out of the way, on your desk.

Tip 2: Plug a mechanical keyboard into an open USB port on your PC.

Tip 3: Plug a mouse into an open USB port on your PC.

These 3 tips will ensure you have the best possible time playing an FPS on your PC. Enjoy!

2 hours ago, Shammikit said:

For starting the game with a controller what tips can u give and what settings do u use when u play. Thanks 

1. Forget about what anyone tells you when it comes to advantages of K&M over a controller.

2. Forget about what anyone tells you when it comes to advantages of K&M over a controller.

3. It takes many, many years of using a controller to master it and vice/versa with K&M users.

4. Communication and wits are the keys to opening all sorts of doors.

5. Every gamer has both strengths and weaknesses. Find and exploit them both.

6. Most of your teammates are using K&M. Embrace and utilize them.

7. Learning maps and all the nooks and crannies of each map is very valuable.

8. Invest a lot of time against bots on their hardest difficulties. This will teach you a LOT on how to handle yourself.

9. Invest a lot of time against K&M players using a controller. Over time you will be able to hang with them and eventually, beat them.

10. Never forget #1 and #2 on this list.

3 hours ago, IPickle said:

This is an excellent tip right here. Especially the part when he mentions, "They have years of controller and operator experience."

3 hours ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

1. Forget about what anyone tells you when it comes to advantages of K&M over a controller.

2. Forget about what anyone tells you when it comes to advantages of K&M over a controller.

I mean, you could forget it, but that doesn't make the advantage any less real.

4 hours ago, JB780 said:

I mean, you could forget it, but that doesn't make the advantage any less real.

Everything you can imagine is real.

I think the Xbox one controller is leagues better than the 360 one. However it’s not nearly as precise. 

Call of duty was designed for a controller with aim assist and everything. Rainbow six on pc might not have aim assist because mice don’t need it. 

13 minutes ago, fpo said:

I think the Xbox one controller is leagues better than the 360 one. However it’s not nearly as precise. 

Call of duty was designed for a controller with aim assist and everything. Rainbow six on pc might not have aim assist because mice don’t need it. 

It has aim assist for the situations gamemode which is meant for newer players to familiarize themselves with the different aspects of the game.