Turns out Alienware's Steam Machine is upgradable, but they still don't want you doing it

TopWargamer

http://kotaku.com/you-can-upgrade-the-un-upgradable-steam-machine-but-it-1507211467?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

"We've purposefully designed the Alienware Steam Machine to be smaller than the latest generation consoles," Alienware general manager Frank Azor told Eurogamer. "Upgrading the internal components will not be as easy as compared to other platforms (...) but we will not prevent a customer from upgrading."

GOOD. So instead of buying one their consoles every year, just buy one, and upgrade it, like you can do now on any PC. So what if it's a small size? When there's a will, there's a way.

COMIC SANS

The space will be non-existant probably

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Of course it is, it's basecally a computer.

Signatures are stupid.

I wonder why Alienware is trying so hard to make it smaller than consoles. Is that really the priority for buyers?

I wonder why Alienware is trying so hard to make it smaller than consoles. Is that really the priority for buyers?

Well, its definitly more appealing than xbone, and by my opinion even ps4. Looks arent everything, but you pay what you see with Alienware.

Its most likely laptop hardware so things like the processor will be soldered to the board. It will probably just be the memory and storage that are upgradable without replacing the whole motherboard-cpu.

Basically just as much upgrading as current laptops.

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

For the Console  users, it has to be slim and small, they don't understand that a larger chassis is not bad.

haha pricks, gtfo we dont care, its OUR SYSTEM, i mean THIS IS OUR LAND.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The only things that really benefit from upgrades are the gpu and hdd nowadays, cpus last a long time.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

i don't think alienware's box was never meant for an enthusiast who wants to upgrade everything, i think they are trying to target the average consumer that wants a small profile gaming box for their living room. they are targeting a whole different niche that this forum, and any enthusiast forums cater to.

i don't think alienware's box was never meant for an enthusiast who wants to upgrade everything, i think they are trying to target the average consumer that wants a small profile gaming box for their living room. they are targeting a whole different niche that this forum, and any enthusiast forums cater to.

Exactly, I dont know why people are getting upset over these articles.

The "Type" of consumer that buys their product is "Generally" someone who wants an out of the box gaming experience. Its the same as the Apple product catalog. People are happy to pay more to have it ready to go from the first second.

Intel Core i7 4770K | Gigabyte R9 290 OC 4GB Windforce Edition | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Mobo

Noctua NF-S12A FLX 120 + 140mm Fans | Corsair H100i CPU Cooler | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | BitFenix Ghost Case

Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM-850 PSU | G. Skill Sniper 16GB (4x4GB) | AOC G2460PQU 144Hz Monitor

Would be funny if they decide to use the same case for all future versions, and you can just buy the video card of the new model as a replacement part to put it in the old one.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Its most likely laptop hardware so things like the processor will be soldered to the board. It will probably just be the memory and storage that are upgradable without replacing the whole motherboard-cpu.

Basically just as much upgrading as current laptops.

Not necessarily. A lot of laptop CPU's are upgradeable as well, though I doubt that would be the case here, however, if Alienware decides to utilise Mobile PCI-Express (MXM), like they do in all of their gaming grade laptops, it would technically be possible to upgrade the GPU, as that's the case with the gaming laptops. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

Its good that it is upgradable but not sure if there will be availability of parts that you are able to use to upgrade. Maybe a DirectCU II mini or MSI's mini gaming edition gpu would fit but nothing else big.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

https://www.facebook.com/Alienware/posts/10151935583211973:0

Important points

"The Alienware Steam Machine is designed to deliver a great gaming experience in the living room and we will enable customers to upgrade components - both at purchase or after receiving their unit."

"Considering we’ve purposefully designed the Alienware Steam Machine to be smaller than the latest generation of consoles"

"We feel we have multiple options for customers based on their individual needs. If a gamer wants more freedom to upgrade, we have the X51. If they would prefer a much smaller, more console-like system, we will offer the Alienware Steam Machine."

"The tiny size of our Steam Machine is our biggest point of differentiation but also our most limiting factor when it comes to the traditional sense of PC upgrades. 8"x8"x2.5" is very small and a lot of very exacting engineering is required to get everything inside the unit. "

For me i really do not give a crap about size make it 2' by 2' by 2' i dont really care..

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

A Steam Machine is basically a console competitor.

It makes sense not to be upgradable.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

what cracked me up was one of the replies to the post:

This isn't Razer, this is Alienware. They know their s**t.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

"For 1080P gaming, a GTX 670 (or any other card in the future that fits in the 150-170 watt range) is more than enough to run games at max settings. _DC1"

Yeah.. That's bullshit.

hello

I'm sure like everything else Alienware offers you'll be able to customize it. You probably just wont have that much choice. As for how easy you can take it apart and change things out yourself, well I guess that's still to be seen.

"For 1080P gaming, a GTX 670 (or any other card in the future that fits in the 150-170 watt range) is more than enough to run games at max settings. _DC1"

Yeah.. That's bullshit.

No thats absolutely true. I run most games at max settings and I have an HD7970M which is equivalent to the HD7870 desktop card. I'm playing eveyr game I have at max settings @ 2160x1215 downsampled resolutions. Thats 15 resolution steps higher than 1080P.

A GTX 670 is more powerufl than an HD7970M so no its Not bullshit at all.

Yeah.. That's bullshit.

No thats absolutely true. I run most games at max settings and I have an HD7970M which is equivalent to the HD7870 desktop card. I'm playing eveyr game I have at max settings @ 2160x1215 downsampled resolutions. Thats 15 resolution steps higher than 1080P.

A GTX 670 is more powerufl than an HD7970M so no its Not bullshit at all.

I have a GTX 670. I can max out some newer games, SR4, AC3. But have to turn down the settings in most games. Far cry 3, Batman Arkham city I have to turn down the settings a fairish amount.

hello

I really don't get the whole craze with steam machines. It's just a pc that sits under your tv. It's something that my dad's done for the past 5 years.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red