What's the Best Hardware for These Heavy Work Applications?

A friend of mine is having some issues with his work-PC (laptop). He's using programs such as Solidworks, Vray, Sketchup and Unreal engine. While using these his PC is slow and crashes a lot. 

It has a i7-6700hq CPU, 16GB Ram, GTX 970 (or better cant remember correctly).

What I'm asking is this: What would be the best hardware to put together for a PC to run all these applications smoothly? What should be a priority hardware wise?

Recomendations for a "budget build" and a "ultimate build" is apprecitated. 

budget:

Higher budget:

higherer budget:

13 minutes ago, Luddy † said:

While using these his PC is slow and crashes a lot. 

maybe just thermal throttling, thermal paste age and get worse over time

13 minutes ago, Luddy † said:

GTX 970 (or better cant remember correctly)

970M? Half speed of desktop 970 I think

14 minutes ago, Luddy † said:

What I'm asking is this: What would be the best hardware to put together for a PC to run all these applications smoothly? What should be a priority hardware wise?

Recomendations for a "budget build" and a "ultimate build" is apprecitated. 

budget will determine what you can do

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

the b350 msi line had some problems iirc... I'd rather get a pro4 than that

ocp issues

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

ocp issues too

47 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

ocp issues

ocp issues too

well its on the A tier on your magical list, the RMx and TXm also have OCP issues.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-1000w-psu,5510-6.html

not like the prime did much better, 140% OCP, which is roughly the same as the 650 G3.

14 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-1000w-psu,5510-6.html

it's just set high, and at least triggers... unlike some focus models. 

and it would've been tier a+ if it all worked properly

Edited by LukeSavenije

People recommending Threadrippers don't understand the limitations of CAD and 3D modeling software. I use this stuff daily for my job (I use Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks). Threadrippers are great for video encoding, streaming, and a host of other software that can use hyperthreading. But there's some learning to be done here to best help your friend.

SolidWorks and Sketchup don't use hyperthreading whatsoever. VRay has to be told to, and it can struggle with it. Unreal Engine can use it on the developer end, I don't have much experience with it though.

Your friend's laptop CPU is suffering and struggling to keep up - laptop CPU's are never as powerful as desktop CPU's because they can't be cooled anywhere near as well (so they are basically undervolted and uncerclocked versions of desktop CPU's). Also, that laptop has flat-out the wrong hardware for a workstation load, and for those programs.

Workstations in specific usually use Xeon processors, not the i5/i7/i9 processors made for consumers. Xeons have a MUCH larger L3 cache (think of the CPU's digital data warehouse, where it stores quickly-needed data), Xeons use ECC RAM, they have massive hyperthreading, longer life under extreme performance conditions, etc. They are more expensive, don't support overclocking and don't have onboard video, but the more expensive ECC RAM used with them leads to fewer program crashes and a higher stability when using the kind of software he's using. Even though Xeons are purpose-built for hyperthreading, they will continue to be the recommended CPU for a CAD/3D workstation for some time for all the other reasons I listed.

If you don't want to go the Xeon route due to overall cost being higher (processor, ECC RAM, and sometimes motherboards), the next best bet is to use a consumer CPU with a very high single core speed, like a 7700k or a 7480X, preferably overclocked. The 7480x has some considerations for use, though - it only allows dual-channel RAM support, so your pretty X299/X399 motherboard will only be able to use half of the 8 RAM slots. He could also take a crack at overclocking an 8700k, 8086k, 9700k or a 9900k.

High-end graphics cards for consumers (GTX/RTX) are not where you want to spend your money, either. Your friend will want an NVidia Quadro graphics card, which can be very costly depending on how much he wants to spend for how much performance he wants. Workstation graphics cards are purpose-built to handle the software he's running. Gaming graphics cards don't handle the precise polygon counts and precision calculations that his software is doing. But, if he wants to do any kind of gaming, Quadro will let him down. A better-than-GTX 1070 ti graphics card will be what he wants.

Once you have that figured out, throw as much RAM into the machine as you can, at least 16GB, 32GB of RAM at 3200MHz or higher if you can for best performance. 8GB is not really enough for those applications, no matter what the software specifications might tell you.

Once you have that figured out, an M.2 or SATA SSD drive is critical to load different software modules, textures and image maps, and flip between commands quickly.

Edited by NickPickerWI
Clarifying my comments on Unreal Engine.

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

1 minute ago, NickPickerWI said:

High-end graphics cards for consumers (GTX/RTX) are not where you want to spend your money, either. Your friend will want an NVidia Quadro graphics card, which can be very costly depending on how much he wants to spend for how much performance he wants. Workstation graphics cards are purpose-built to handle the software he's running. Gaming graphics cards don't handle the precise polygon counts and precision calculations that his software is doing. But, if he wants to do any kind of gaming, Quadro will let him down. A better-than-GTX 1070 ti graphics card will be what he wants.

a RTX 2060 will beat a Quadro P1000 in most software, the only one that really requires a quadro is solidworks.

autocad should be fine, but they reccommend a quadro, but nvidia tax so rip.

V-Ray Benchmark 1.0.8 GPU Comparison with GeForce RTX 2070, 2080, and 2080 Ti

If you don't want to go the Xeon route due to overall cost being higher (processor, ECC RAM, and sometimes motherboards), the next best bet is to use a consumer CPU with a very high single core speed, like a 7700k or a 7480X, preferably overclocked. The 7480x has some considerations for use, though - it only allows dual-channel RAM support, so your pretty X299/X399 motherboard will only be able to use half of the 8 RAM slots. He could also take a crack at overclocking an 8700k or a 9900k.

TR can get quite decent 1t speed, 4.3ghz with PB, wtf is a 7480X?

7740X? are you talking about that meme machine?

People recommending Threadrippers don't understand the limitations of CAD and 3D modeling software. I use this stuff daily for my job (I use Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks). Threadrippers are great for video encoding, streaming, and a host of other software that can use hyperthreading. But there's some learning to be done here to best help your friend.

He also uses V-ray

V-Ray CPU Benchmark 1.0.8 Intel Core X Series Refresh Versus Intel 9th Gen Core, Older Core X, and AMD Ryzen / Threadripper Processors

1950x is only a bit behind 2950x

"Chaos Group has two different versions of their rendering engine: V-Ray Next CPU and V-Ray Next GPU (previously V-Ray Adv and V-Ray RT, respectively). The first is a CPU-based rendering engine that benefits greatly from having a high number of CPU cores. In fact, it scales almost perfectly with more cores which makes a high core count CPU - and even configurations with multiple physical CPUs - excellent for performance. For that version we strongly recommend a dual CPU configuration, which we offer in both tower and rackmount form factors. If you are on a budget then a single, high core count CPU will work too.

On the other hand, V-Ray Next GPU (V-Ray RT) uses GPUs - as the name indicates - to perform the rendering calculations. If that is your focus, we recommend maxing-out the speed and quantity of video cards - within your budget and available space - before worrying about the CPU. However, starting in V-Ray 3.6 the CPU can be used alongside the GPUs to further boost rendering speed. Chaos Group calls this Hybrid Rendering, so if you are using 3.6 or higher the CPU should still be a factor in your purchasing decision. Check out this article for more information."

Workstations in specific usually use Xeon processors, not the i5/i7/i9 processors made for consumers. Xeons have a MUCH larger L3 cache (think of the CPU's digital data warehouse, where it stores quickly-needed data), Xeons use ECC RAM, they have massive hyperthreading, longer life under extreme performance conditions, etc. They are more expensive, don't support overclocking and don't have onboard video, but the more expensive ECC RAM used with them leads to fewer program crashes and a higher stability when using the kind of software he's using. Even though Xeons are purpose-built for hyperthreading, they will continue to be the recommended CPU for a CAD/3D workstation for some time for all the other reasons I listed

TR can handle ECC (non-buffered), TR has 32MB of cache, more than most xeons. Epyc has 64 (or 128 IIRC), and just dominates, compared to a 8180 (flagship) with 36mb.

12 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

TR can get quite decent 1t speed, 4.3ghz with PB, wtf is a 7480X?

7740X? are you talking about that meme machine?

Yes, I was talking about that one. I guess I was looking mostly into single-threaded applications, speaking about what I know about SW. I understand that the OP is using a variety of software, and some of the software will benefit from a TR, but the benefits of a hyperthreading Xeon with better single-core performance seems to outweigh a Threadripper when considering ALL of the software he's trying to run.

Screenshot_20190428-121059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190428-121043_Samsung Internet.jpg

Intel i7 8700k | Asus ROG Strix Z370-I | NVidia RTX 2070 Super Reference | Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600MHz x 32GB | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD | Custom Loop | Corsair RMx 850w Gold | Phanteks Evolv iTX TG (modded) | Acer Predator XB1

4 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

Yes, I was talking about that one. I guess I was looking mostly into single-threaded applications, speaking about what I know about SW. I understand that the OP is using a variety of software, and some of the software will benefit from a TR, but the benefits of a hyperthreading Xeon with better single-core performance seems to outweigh a Threadripper when considering ALL of the software he's trying to run.

Screenshot_20190428-121059_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190428-121043_Samsung Internet.jpg

Find a 500$ xeon that will suit his purpose better.

besides having double the speed in one software is better  than having 10-20% more speed in 3 softwares.

21 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

a RTX 2060 will beat a Quadro P1000 in most software, the only one that really requires a quadro is solidworks.

autocad should be fine, but they reccommend a quadro, but nvidia tax so rip.

There's also the P5000 and all of the RTX cards in the Quadro series, the 10 or so current cards that are better than a P1000.

Find a 500$ xeon that will suit his purpose better.

besides having double the speed in one software is better  than having 10-20% more speed in 3 softwares.

Where did the OP mention that he wanted to spend $500 on a CPU, or less than X on a GPU?

OP wants to know what high end and budget look like. I'm recommending higher end stuff. High end looks a lot like spending $10k - $15k on a PC.

Sure, I threw in the 9900k and other CPU's, which you could argue could be replaced by a Threadripper for most cases. But it will suffer in any CAD programs, and suffer greatly.

And I would think that this depends on the balance of work. If 90% of my day consisted of one software package, sure, I'd agree with you. If 90% of my day consisted of using those three software packages, well, I would disagree with you.

To me, running three programs at 70-90% speed while running one program at 100% speed outweighs running two programs at 90-100% speed, and two at 40-60% speed. I also trust in Intel's and NVidia's stability gains in their purpose-built workstation products (even though I really want a TR, or even a Zen 3 CPU, for my personal machine, and screwed up when planning it).

By virtue of asking on a public forum, OP is asking for opinions. These are mine.

11 minutes ago, NickPickerWI said:

There's also the P5000 and all of the RTX cards in the Quadro series, the 10 or so current cards that are better than a P1000.

Where did the OP mention that he wanted to spend $500 on a CPU, or less than X on a GPU?

OP wants to know what high end and budget look like. I'm recommending higher end stuff. High end looks a lot like spending $10k - $15k on a PC.

Sure, I threw in the 9900k and other CPU's, which you could argue could be replaced by a Threadripper for most cases. But it will suffer in any CAD programs, and suffer greatly.

And I would think that this depends on the balance of work. If 90% of my day consisted of one software package, sure, I'd agree with you. If 90% of my day consisted of using those three software packages, well, I would disagree with you.

To me, running three programs at 70-90% speed while running one program at 100% speed outweighs running two programs at 90-100% speed, and two at 40-60% speed. I also trust in Intel's and NVidia's stability gains in their purpose-built workstation products (even though I really want a TR, or even a Zen 3 CPU, for my personal machine, and screwed up when planning it).

By virtue of asking on a public forum, OP is asking for opinions. These are mine.

and P5000 costs what, 2000$?

for 10k-15k, I'd just get 2 seperate PCs, one with heavy multicore, and one with singlecore

or perhaps a dual socket Epyc 7371 for a mix of both.

If his work PC is a laptop w/ a 970, then he probably can't spend 10-15k$.

35 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

and P5000 costs what, 2000$?

for 10k-15k, I'd just get 2 seperate PCs, one with heavy multicore, and one with singlecore

or perhaps a dual socket Epyc 7371 for a mix of both.

If his work PC is a laptop w/ a 970, then he probably can't spend 10-15k$.

I didn't come here to argue with you, I came to give my opinion. My opinion was given, so I'm going to do something else.

And I'd be careful making assumptions about people like this.

2 hours ago, NickPickerWI said:

And I'd be careful making assumptions about people like this.

Why would I?(actually want to know, not trying to argue)

56 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Why would I?(actually want to know, not trying to argue)

It's a tact thing. You make valid points without having to assume, and without having to risk coming off the wrong way or insulting someone.

We have no idea where the OP's friend is at, or what kind of budget he has now or will have in five years. We have no idea what his plans are - he could make a business case and get a loan for a $10k PC if the performance would be that much better.

We only know the title of this thread, exactly what was asked for, and other information the OP provided. We don't know anything more than that.